Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Connect with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Read up on the latest product reviews
  • Make new friends to go shooting with!
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

Glock Talk is the #1 site to discuss the world’s most popular pistol, chat about firearms, accessories and more.

MRE's have changed

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Hailstorm, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Jan 7, 2002
    Canton Mi
    Alright. I was in for the First Gulf War. The MRE's we had it seems that they didn't care how it tasted.

Fast forward to now. I am keeping 10 cases on hand. I bought 5 new cases and so I am eating the old ten year old stuff now. One at lunch time at work for a week. I have yet had a bad one. Each one was actually good taste wise. Getting a bit tired of pears. LOL

Really, I was expecting to barely choke these things down at lunch. Instead, I am thinking about keeping a eye out all the time for deals and keep eating them at lunch. Has to be better than fast food for sure.

Anyone else notice the change?
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  2. thejellster05

Sep 13, 2007
    I never had the old ones, but I dont think they're bad and wonder why people complain all the time about them=Guess I know that they are talking about the old ones.

I take them fishing/hiking all the time.

3. WolfNotSheep

WolfNotSheep Tackleberry

Mar 1, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I have particular menu numbers I look for (like sploopy joe and buffalo chicken) but all the MREs I've ever had, especially newer ones, I've liked. I haven't tried anything with eggs in it, due to lack of bravery. It just seems risky.

The best deal I've seen on cases is $60 at the local shipping charges that way, either.
  4. Should have tried them in the early 80s. Just thinking about the Ham and Chicken loaf still makes me want to :puking:
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    I never complained eating any throughout the years. My peers always had nicknames for me.

Even the old ones to me weren't bad. Definitely not a really good meal but when I'm hungry I'll eat anything.
  6. Hailstorm

Hailstorm Boom Shacka

Jan 7, 2002
    Canton Mi
    Yea, if your thirsty enough, muddy water looks

I just hope I don't start gaining wieght eating these things. Being 5'9" and 200 pounds. I don't need any more to add to the beltline.:embarassed:

I keep my eyes open to craigslist. I found a source. Like last monday I paid $180 plus $25 in gas for 5 cases. Good indicators and good dates.

The deal before that was 5 cases of the civy versions for $150.
  7. Atomic Punk

Atomic Punk

Mar 11, 2008
    i used to have a ton of some very old dark green ones. got them in trade from an old retired marine for some work i did. everything was good except for the ham omelet, that was gross.
  8. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I've only been eating them since 1998 so I don't have a lot of background on MREs like some of you C-Rat guys. :whistling:

The only thing that I have seen change is that they stopped making the breakfast MREs (white package) and the Ham Slice is gone (thank God). But they did add some good options in Vegetarian and even some of the new Italian dishes are excellent.

9. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    One of these days I'm going to have to try an MRE.

Actually kind of liked c-rations myself; but I was fresh off the farm & that was semi-exotic stuff to me back then... :embarassed: (They were heavy though.)
  10. cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    I never had an MRE until last year. I was impressed with the taste. More disappointed in some of the selections in the package... things like every single package had peanut M&Ms.
  11. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    I loved the Peanut M&Ms! Some of them are Peanut Butter M&Ms too.

Most though I have found have Skittles. I would always trade.

12. Tango 1Zero

Tango 1Zero Millennium Member

Nov 8, 1999
    That Chicken Ala king was rough in the eighties.
    I stuck with anything that had tomato sauce. That sliced ham in the grease/jelly looked like hell but was good.
    We use to cut the meals down to the entrees and a few accessory packs, sweets and fruit. Anything to save space.
  13. DDgunslinger

Dec 22, 2011
    Louisville, Ky
    MRE's have most definitely come leaps and bounds over the years... however I do agree with cowboy1964, that having M&Ms in every MRE is kinda ridiculous lol
  14. Tom Kanik

Tom Kanik

Sep 6, 2005
    S.W. Missouri
    Pretty much the same for me Brother!:supergrin:
  15. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Bought a case for storage but haven't tried it. I did eat military food in the mess hall before though and anything is an improvement over that!
  16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    50 cases stored,and yep I've tried them all.Some are good and some are junk.Just remember folks,hunger is the best sauce.'08.
  17. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    You ain't lived till you've ate a C-rat
  18. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

You wish you would have died after you ate a K-rat.
  19. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    BTDT,Pops was a Korean War vet.'08. :shocked:
  20. DustyJacket

DustyJacket Directiv 10-289

Oct 16, 2008
    Missouri, East of KC
    I had my first MRE in the mid 1980s - I remember the meat was this freeze dried triscuit looking thing and it had the dried strawberries which were like styrafoam when dry or red goop when wet.

I hear they got better.

Most of my time in the Army was c-rats. Loved them all, but in hot weather the ones with fruit in syrup were especially good. The ham slices in fat and (whatever) were my least favorite......