close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mre

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Glock19Fan, May 19, 2013.

1. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    So what is a good/fair price for a case of 12 MRE's these days?

2. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    Shop,JC Refugee is a GT SPONSOR ect.Legwork is important.'08.

PM me.

3. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Sep 6, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    I have a few cases in my preps and also use them when going camping to rotate them.
    The worst ever were what we had in Germany back in the late 70's early 80's and we used to trade beer for C rations with our american counterparts during training whenever possible.
    This new stuff is actually quite good.
    I think they have a place in todays preps and could also be used to help out in an emergency time without tipping your hand on what kind of preps you have.

4. I have made about a dozen and a half "hand out bags" with a space blanket, emergency poncho, lighter, 2 tea candles, 2 bottles of water, and an MRE. These are primarily for close friends and family in need.

5. It is in my opinion. But then I get them for half that.

I think a lot of people base their thoughts on early generation MRE's they ate in the service decades ago.. (I ate those too..)

The latest ones are not bad at all. An earlier poster commented on how good the chicken ala king was.. I have had the recent Mountain House C-ala-K, and it was pretty good.. but the first generation C-ala-K in the MRE was the absolute suxors. Barf in a bag was what most called it.

6. gosnmic

gosnmic Re:member

Aug 27, 2004
    Missouri
  7. fx77

fx77 CLM

Nov 23, 2008
    Viet Nam
    Ham and Mother F'''''kers.....yeech

8. Deputydave

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    Well, I wanted to diversify my food preps a bit and have some 'quick go' food i.e. MRE's. So I purchased a couple of cases of 12 off Ebay. One is the 'A' and the other 'B' cases, inspection date of 2014. I know they'll last for years if kept cool/dry but not sure how many years or if it varies.

After the purchase price and shipping, I'm paying $4.91 for each complete meal and the sealed box states it contains the heaters in each. I 'guess' that is a pretty good price compared to what I see in the Army/Navy stores ($11 to $13 each).

Thoughts welcome. Just to be clear, this isn't my total food prep, just an addition to the oatmeal, lentils, pasta, sauce, tuna, cans of stuff etc I already have. Just thought it a good idea to have something already contained to toss in or have in a BOB or just for fun camping with my son.

Anyone know how an MRE does in a GHB in a hot climate? My guess is not that well but figured it was worth asking. Thanks.

9. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    Again - they are a particulalr thing with strengths/weaknesses like any other prep.

I like some of their strengths, I don't mind some of their weaknesses.
    They are a small part of my overall preps. But they fill an important role.

That said, Bridgeford has some good stuff.

10. dukeblue91

dukeblue91

Sep 6, 2012
    Raleigh, NC
    Heat is a bad thing for MRE's and will cut the shelf life drastically, although I'm not sure by how much but remember it was very substantial when I was reading up on that.

11. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

Apr 8, 2004
    SWPA sticks
    I actually really like MRE's I ate a lot of them over a 6yr military career but I won't pay the current prices for them

12. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Ugghhhh I freakin' hate MRE's. Even the new ones have that distinct MRE smell. After eating MRE"s for 80% of the time during several extensive deployments I will say I have no desire to actually spend money and store MREs as I have no intention of ever eating them. So unless SHTF happens they will be a total waste of money for me. You'll be dollars to donuts ahead to skip MREs and store what you eat/eat what you store.

Millions of soldiers were fed and maintianed on canned food through 2 World Wars. Its still a very viable option and I promise there are a zillion canned options that are better than MRE's.

Not to mention that MRE's are 2,000 calories each. You eat three a day you have consumed more calories than even the most highly trained olympic swimmer needs for a day's training.

And of course they are designed to stop you up something terrible and good luck taking a crap after eating a few MRE's! Ugh...

13. Deputydave

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    I didn't have to live on them for long periods of time, but for the most part I enjoyed the occasional MRE. Some more than others of course. Hopefully these couple of cases I have coming will be good. It would be nice to grab a couple and head out for a day hike/bike with my son. He's always asking me what it was like for me in the military and the stuff I did so this is a way for him to kinda have a firsthand look at one aspect.

14. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Being stuffed up might be useful in certain situations, especially if you are low on toilet paper.

15. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Blue Planet
    I always thought MREs were pretty convenient. I've used them for backpacking, hunting, camping, bike riding etc. As for eating 3 a day, I always considered that with the calories in them that they were a one a day thing. I eat the entree as the main meal and the other stuff as the other meals. Never had a problem with constipation even eating them every day for a week. I probably would if I ate three a day.

As for being bulky, each complete one is but do you really need spoons, and all the stuff in every one? I don't think so. I take one complete one and then strip the others out of their boxes. You only need one box to cook them if you do cook them. I tend not to buy complete MREs anyway for camping or back packing or riding my bike. Rather I just buy the entrees and then supplement them with other stuff.

As for price, yeah they ain't cheap but if you only eat one a day that is only $8 or so a day for food and you could probably stretch it out more in and emergency if you ration them.

Sportsmansguide has them this weekend with free shipping for $65/case or $58.45/case if you are a member. That's about as cheap as I've seen them recently.

16. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
  17. Deputydave

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    Hope she got a good deal for the bulk buy!

I'm seeing prices all over the place. I paid $117 for two cases which worked out to about $4.90 per MRE. If what I receive is as advertised then I got a good deal compared to the $11-$13 I see in the Army/Navy stores.