close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mre

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by Glock19Fan, May 19, 2013.

1. Glock19Fan

Glock19Fan Cool Guy

Mar 25, 2003
    Tennessee
    Many people have different views on MRE's, but after being around them for 6 years, and eating at least one every single day for as long as 8 months, I think they are a waste of money and space for most uses.

The MRE was designed for medium-long term nutrition and energy with a little regard to space. Although the MRE is compact compared to commercial food, for a short term misson, MREs take up too much space. Food is a very low priority during a 72 hour mission, and even assuming a light 2 meals a day would make 6 total MREs really hard to make room for.

What I always packed in my bag was a few cans of ravioli, energy bars, and candy in place of MREs. They seemed to go farther, there was more enjoyment, and they calories matched, if they werent even higher. There was less bulk and less trash to deal with.

Becuase mine were already paid for, I never complained about the cost. However, on the civilian side I see these things selling in gun stores for $8-$12!!! I cannot believe anyone would actually pay these prices, but I guess they have the cool factor for the guys who never served.

Overall, unless you have an entire connex to devote to MREs and you dont care about flavor and varity, the MRE is not for you. In your bags, instead of MREs switch it out for ravioli, beef jerkey, trail mix, candy, ect. Use the extra room for tourniquets, water, and other useful supplies.

2. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Never have had an MRE as far as I recall, even any components of one. We had c-rations when I was in. :dunno:

3. Carry16

Carry16

Sep 7, 2004
    SW Missouri
    +10 quake

In 65-66 in Vietnam I ate a bunch of those C-rations left over from WWII. Only thing I recall being any good were canned peaches. We were living high on the hog when we finished them and moved on to K-rations. Never had refrigeration during my tour so if we got any fresh meat we ate it quickly. That didn't happen all that often. Also, this was the only place I ever ran into whole milk in a can - unrefrigerated. It was pretty good on cereal. They were like little v8 cans - took at least two for your cereal.

I do have a few dozen MRE's in storage and I ate one that was pretty good. May have been something like chicken ala king. In a piinch I'm sure they would go down real easy.

4. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I agree - I never buy MRE's at stupid prices, and they have limited use to me. As many have mentioned - they can be repackaged to a much more portable size.

They have their uses/benefits. But I agree - it's limited.

5. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    I have had a few MREs just to try them. I found them incredibly filling. I was more stuffed after eating an MRE than what would be a normal meal for me.

I don't see that they are "backpacking" food, as all the parts of the MRE take up so much space... although, while backpacking, one MRE is practically two days worth of food if you stretch it.

I would have no problem having MREs stored somewhere, like at a hunting cabin, or at home for long term (week maybe) storm situations -- which, in the last two years, we've had 3! (two hurricanes and a blizzard).

But having said that... as to long term storage for survival/preparedness... don't most MREs have a relatively short shelf life, like 2-5 years? That is actually not that long for long term storage.

As to taste, I thought the MREs I had were very eatable, not bad at all. Some people hate them, maybe my taste buds are not as refined as theirs...

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  6. Tvov

Tvov

Sep 30, 2000
    CT,USA
    Oh, and yes, they are expensive for "civilians". I think you can get far more bang for your buck buying other food basics.

We bought them just to try them out.

7. FLIPPER 348

FLIPPER 348 Happy Member

Oct 7, 2000
    Bend Oregon
    I had enough in the 80s in Central America, would only eat another if I was starving.

8. lawman800

lawman800 Juris Glocktor

Not bad to have as an alternative if you had to eat on the run since it's all self contained and you don't have to worry about lugging a #10 can with water and heating element and then try to portion it out.

9. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    This thread made me do a count we got 360 cases of MREs 180x2.Fairly current dates AND climate controlled/rute cellar as a friend says.Food storage is all about climate control,albeit canning/pre-packaged/dehydrated ect.

The pioneers have valuable lessons regarding this,pay attention ta ones past.It will help in ones future.'08.

10. IMHO, they have some place in preps.. but they are not THE answer.. But then again, I don't generally think there is ONE answer to almost any prep question.

My backups have backups in most cases. Things I think are super important like, say, water.. I have 4-5 plans.

Like Sarge in the Red vs Blue zombie PSA says "why do you think I always carry a shotgun?"

11. Deputydave

Deputydave Millennium Member

Feb 20, 1999
    Florida
    Is that 12 to a case? How much did a case run you if you don't mind me asking?

12. HenryinFlorida

HenryinFlorida

May 10, 2012
    When I was in Viet Nam we had some C-Rations also. As I remember, the Pork ones tasted the best to me.

13. quake

quake Millennium Member

Aug 4, 1999
    Arkansas, USA
    Never had K-rations, but I thought they actually pre-dated the C-rations, used back in ww2 times?

Then again, with govt logistics & inventory management, it could very well be that the older ones got distributed after the newer ones... :cool:

14. The thing about MREs is that I can throw an MRE and a few bottles of water in a sack and have food for a day. It's not ideal, but good enough in emergencies. Old ones can be taken camping and rotated out. Before a road trip, throw a few in the car with a couple of two liters of water for emergencies.

IMO they should not make up the bulk of your food preps, just as freeze dried should not. They have a place though as they are self contained and relatively portable.

"Fire and Forget" food preps, if you will.

15. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    With respects ociffer,you don't wanta know.It was a a trade deal.We traded 100lbs of venison and permission ta hunt the land and got the result in full.

The dates are ancient and current,we have had no problems...............

We own 50acres of prime hunting grounds,folk enjoy and respect that.'08.

16. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    They're alright for what they're designed for. Not great, but alright.

That said, after eating 3 a day 6 months, I'll never eat another if I have my choice. I do have about 6 cases in the preps though.

If you strip them out of the bag, and use them correctly,they are pretty damn good for short term high intensity period meals.

17. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    This; A great call if you need to go, go now, and travel light. Probably the best bang-for-size/filling factor food out there if you are on the run.

18. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

Apr 5, 2007
    Utah
    I was Marine infantry. I ate tons of those things. One time we got nothing but Chicken Ala-King. Every case, every meal, every day, all the same.

I live in Utah. Major earthquake zone. When the Wasatch fault complex goes we are screwed. Emergency prep is a big thing here. People can't believe I don't stock up on MREs. I buy cases of beef stew and ravioli and rotate them each year.

19. Zeebra724

Zeebra724

Jun 19, 2012
    PA
    MRE (Meals Refusing to Exit)...they're really not that bad though...but do take up a lot of space...they work great as shims by the way!