Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

  • Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Moving Question regarding Permit???

Discussion in 'Carolina Glockers' started by glck123, Jun 1, 2007.

  1. glck123


    Sep 5, 2004
    I was issued a North Carolina Permit several years ago. Then I moved to Northern Virginia, and forgot to contact the Sherriff's office regarding my move. After a year in NoVa, I moved back to North Carolina. I would like to reapply for a permit, however, given the fact that I had moved and not notified the sherriff I am unsure as to the consequence. Any Ideas on what I should do? And yes I know I should ask a legal expert, but just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas or experience with this sort of situations.

    Thank you all for your help.
  2. Bogey

    Bogey The Mouth® CLM

    Sep 11, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    Call your local Sheriff's office. Best I can say.

  3. gconan


    May 1, 2000
    I fail to see a problem? You have done nothing wrong, you are alowed to move to different parts of the Country if you want. If your CCW expired, you will just have to do it all over again. If it was just a purchasing permit, they last for 5 years.
  4. Glocks&Ducs


    Apr 24, 2004
    § 14‑415.11. Permit to carry concealed handgun; scope of permit.


    (d) A person who is issued a permit shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of any change in the person's permanent address within 30 days after the change of address. If a permit is lost or destroyed, the person to whom the permit was issued shall notify the sheriff who issued the permit of the loss or destruction of the permit. A person may obtain a duplicate permit by submitting to the sheriff a notarized statement that the permit was lost or destroyed and paying the required duplicate permit fee. (1995, c. 398, s. 1; c. 507, s. 22.1(c); c. 509, s. 135.3(e); 1997, c. 238, s. 6; 2000‑140, s. 103; 2000‑191, s. 5; 2005‑232, s. 3.)


    Do you see the dilemna now? This excerpt is from the criminal law section from the North Carolina General assembly website. You are right in that you are free to move about the country. But when you apply and receive your CCW, you are making an obligation that extends beyond the normal schmuck. Are they going to charge him for not reporting his move? Probably not. Can they refuse him a new permit for failing to follow simple instructions? Yep.
  5. gconan


    May 1, 2000
    Yes and Thank you for the correction!
  6. Zulu Alpha

    Zulu Alpha Abyss Dweller

    Dec 26, 2004
    Waters of Oblivion
    Sounds to me like you notify the Sheriff if you want to keep the CCW valid within 30 days, but as long as your DL and CCW addresses match you are good to go in the LEGAL sense... YMMV