close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Moving 2 new job in Suitland MD want live VA

Discussion in 'Glockers of the Old Dominion' started by RWBlue, Apr 26, 2009.

1. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

Sorry for the somewhat duplicate post for those that read the MD forum. I am trying to pick up the dedicated VA people with this post.

I will probably be getting an offer for a job in Suitland MD next week (hopefully). When I posted this to the MD/DC forum, I was told not to live in MD, live in VA.

What are the basic gun laws in VA? Based on what everyone is saying, I assume I can keep my Sport Utility Rifles (AK/AR), regular cap mags, CCW, take loaded mags to the range? Any other good or bad things I am missing?

Recommendations for places to live that are 30-60 minutes from Suitland, MD?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. alien-Glocker

alien-Glocker
    Expand Collapse

You do not want to move to Maryland if you can help it!

Probably the worst law in Virginia is no concealed carry in restaurants. Open carry is fine as is open carry in public except the usual places--federal buildings, jails....

A summary of Commonwealth laws can be found at the VA State Police website:

Link: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms.shtm

You are probably best to live some where in the Alexandria, Springfield, Fairfax City area--convenient to the beltway and more than likely your route to Suitland--if you can afford it. No sense moving to far west or south unless you like to drive in traffic!

3. watsoncb

watsoncb
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

The answer on where might be a good place to move to has a great deal to do with how much $$ you have available for a place to live.

Here is a list of places start with the places closer and the list then list places farther south....

1. Mt Vernon
    2. Lorton
    3. Occoquan
    4. Woodbridge
    5. Rippon Landing

All have great communities. The first two are in Fairfax County, followed by Prince William and then Stafford counties.

I did not list communities in Alexandria or Arlington. Both while being part of northern VA, they are less firearm friendly.

Good luck.

#3 watsoncb, Apr 26, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  4. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

I don't have an offer in hand, so I don't know how good or bad it will be. This is government work so I will not be making real money but it will be secure for a few years.

I don't want to spend more on rent than I have to.
    I don't want to pay for someone else's kid to go to school.
    I don't want to worry about my vehicle comming up missing or getting shot at home.

I am leaning toward Alexandria.
    30-45 minutes to work?
    safe location?

To be specific
    http://www.forrent.com/apartment-community-profile/1010558.php
    MeadowCreek at Mark Center
    2 bedroom, 1 bath.
    The only real problem is no dishwasher. I have gotten use to a dishwasher over the years.

5. Abby Normal

Abby Normal
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You definitely don't want to live in MD. There you have to fill out paperwork and wait a couple of weeks for the State Police to give their approval before you can even buy a gun and that's even if you can find a store that has a gun in stock. Several popular stores have gone out of business due to MD's tougher requirements. And don't even think about carrying or even transporting your gun in MD. It's not as bad as DC but it's close.

I live in Lorton, or should I say my post office is in Lorton but I technically live in Newington, and I grew up in the Mt. Vernon area. I work at Mark Center, I drive through this neighborhood every day. I'll take a shot at answering your questions.

6. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

There is no way to get around taxes, but at least around here there are places that are know for having expensive taxes and "better schools". I don't have kids, so I don't need to live in a "better school" area.

I don't have to pay yearly taxes on my car. Are you telling me that I will have to pay yearly taxes on my car in VA? Or is it city by city?

I agree with the rent price. The question is have prices gone up since you purchased your town house? Are you including all the fees?

And/or, since I am not local I feel like I am plugging away in the dark. I might not be seeing the good deals. I am open to suggestions.

7. gtrcivic

gtrcivic
    Expand Collapse
    Hokie Glocker

Def not in MD, gun laws are way too strict. VA is a great choice! Alexandria would be a good choice, since you can get on the beltway with ease to get to Suitland. Just make sure the area is not infested with MS13....some pockets of alexandria are.....

8. watsoncb

watsoncb
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

Yes you will pay the county some car tax not all that much and it is deductible on your fed taxes. The one thing to remember is to get VA plates on your car. The fines are terrible. You will be getting your car safety inspected every year and emissions tested every two years.

Your Virginia state income taxes will be much less than Maryland or DC.

I can't help on renting... I own.

As for living in Alexandra, it is ok... outside the beltway.

Fairfax County public schools are in the top 10 in the United States. Possibly better than some private schools with 5 high schools rated in the top 75 in the country.

#8 watsoncb, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. Abby Normal

Abby Normal
    Expand Collapse
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Here are some thoughts from the various voices in my head.

10. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

If it were me,

I'd be looking to buy a town house in Prince William County. They have a very high foreclosure rate right now and a lot of bargains on homes. A co-worker of mine who is the same age as me (45) had rented all his life. He just bought his first home, 3 bedroom town house, and his payments are less than his rent was.

When we come out of this economic slump the housing market around here will pick back up and you will make a killing on your townhouse.

11. watsoncb

watsoncb
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

VAFish.... you don't look a day older than 21. :tease:

#11 watsoncb, Apr 29, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  12. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

The goal is to rent for one year (more or less) so I know the area, then buy.

I would hate to buy and then find out the neighborhood had a major issue that all the locals knew.

13. Orkinman

Orkinman
    Expand Collapse

Beware of the communities along the 95 corridor. Places like Woodbridge in PW county are a cesspool (No offense to anyone who lives in Hood-bridge). You may want to pick up a couple local papers and check out the police blotter as well as fun weekend activites and such. Prince William's online paper is

http://www.insidenova.com

14. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

So where to you recomend 30-60 minutes from Suitland?

I hand an opertunity to see the traffic jam map today on NBC or CBS. It looked like going around to the north was not happening.

How bad is taking the transis system from one side of DC to the other?

15. alien-Glocker

alien-Glocker
    Expand Collapse

I doubt the bus to Suitland is advisable.

You can check the rush hour traffic (or any other time) around DC here:

http://www.trafficland.com/city/WAS/

Alexandria, Central Fairfax/Fairfax City are are good options, nice area and convenient to lots of things, close to metro Vienna Station.....

16. watsoncb

watsoncb
    Expand Collapse
    CLM

OK I got to ask "why Suitland?" Suitland is a gang infested pool of crime. If you can find a job in northern VA you will be in a much better place. People die in Suitland. Not from natural causes.

Next re-revisit your living requirements. In the DC area getting to ANY place takes time. Getting anywhere takes a hour. If your looking for a 30 minute commute you really need to reconsider this area. I live 6 miles from my office. It takes me 20 minutes.

Next the cost of living. The DC area is in the top most expensive places to live. The costs for food, gas, utilities, etc are expensive. 3 of the 5 counties surrounding DC(Loundon, Fairfax and Montgomery) are the highest per capita house hold incomes. That is due to the high level of education (high per capita advanced degrees) and government jobs.

Sorry but finding cheap housing, easy / quick commuting and less taxes is not going to happen around here.

#16 watsoncb, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  17. RWBlue

RWBlue
    Expand Collapse
    Mr. CISSP, CISA
    CLM

watsoncb

I see you didn't read all the thread so I will sum up.
    The new job will be in Suitland. I would prefer not to move, but it is not hapening. I know where I can live that is safe and 30 minutes from work, but I don't want to live in MD.

IMHO, the greater DC area is the arm pit of the world. IF I could find something some place else I would. So I am have been handed lemons and I am trying to make lemonaid.

18. Reswob

Reswob
    Expand Collapse

But like Watson said, you're not going to live in the DC metro area and be within 30 mins commute of where you work, unless you literally live next door to your office. Just ain't happening. Even if you lived directly across the river, I'd anticipate up to 1.5hrs in rush hour traffic.

19. frank4570

frank4570
    Expand Collapse

Just to clarify on the gun laws.
    If you get a CCW you can carry just about everywhere with the most notable exception being anywhere alcohol is served. If you go into a place that does serve alcohol you can open carry if you want to.
    If a business has a sign that says no guns allowed, you are violating their rules by carrying. Same as if you went in with no shoes. If they bust you they can ask you to leave. If you refuse you are guilty of trespassing.