close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Movement to ban concealed carry during the conventions

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by humanguerrilla, Apr 27, 2012.

1. humanguerrilla

humanguerrilla
    Expand Collapse

#1 humanguerrilla, Apr 27, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  2. Naelbis

Naelbis
    Expand Collapse

The Governor doesn't have the power to unilaterally overturn state law...but that won't matter...gotta keep the serfs in line while the ruling class selects their new leaders...

3. callihan_44

callihan_44
    Expand Collapse
    INFIDEL

how about we also ban free speech while we're at it, dont want anyones feelings hurt now do we?

4. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc
    Expand Collapse
    MAJ (USA Ret.)

Whoa there Nelly.

You want to show up to a protest, outside the convention with your CCW. WTF, there should be no problem there. Now if you start doing something bad, and I mean really bad, I'm OK with the guy carrying the sign next to you puts you down.

Armed people really do need to be very polite, and understand that DE-escalation is the best way to go, if you don't want to get into a gun fight.

I'm completely against anyone attempting tyranny, from the Paul or the Republican camps equally.

5. Bruce H

Bruce H
    Expand Collapse

Only it they leave their protection detail at home.

6. holesinpaper

holesinpaper
    Expand Collapse

Open Carry will prevent this (in free states).

7. stevelyn

stevelyn
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Double tap.

#7 stevelyn, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  8. stevelyn

stevelyn
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

Heard about this on Armed American Radio last weekend. What they're asking would require legislation to change their preemption law. A governor just can't issue an imperial decree because some a-hole mayor and city govt requests it.

9. G29Reload

G29Reload
    Expand Collapse
    Tread Lightly

Lived in Tampa for awhile and always carried, plus a BUG. Wouldn't feel safe without it. ESPECIALLY if I were there during a convention when every miscreant from every corner of the country will arrive to cause trouble. I can see muggings, D&D and assault skyrocketing especially down by Channelside.

10. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

This takes the cake. Normally I default to extending the right to carry. Normally unless there is some very good reason to do otherwise, that is the best position to take. This is not one of those cases. This is stupid. Like it or not, no one has any business carrying a concealed weapon at a political convention... any more than they have any business carrying a concealed weapon onto a airplane, etc. Why? Because it's not a matter of someone's precious emotional principle. It is a matter of common sense. No rational reasonable man would expect to carry a concealed weapon into a political convention.

11. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Are you ignorant, or simply trolling?

The proposed rule change has NOTHING to do with the federal law that already prohibits carry wherever Homeland Security has jurisdiction - like INSIDE a national political convention building.

What the idiots here want to do is suspend my right to carry on a public street that happens to be within a certain distance of said building.

12. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

I skimmed through the couple of paragraphs. It seemed to be foolishness. So I did not read the rest.

Idiots abound, both inside convention halls and in city administrations... courtrooms... and legislatures. Can't really see any need for anyone to be carrying a weapon in the middle of a political meeting... inside the building or outside on the streets. Such meetings are infrequent. If your need to go somewhere necessitates your walking through such an area, then you can always find another route or just leave your pistol at home. I've been in the middle of a couple of such conventions. I've not ever seen any reason why anyone would need a concealed weapon at such a meeting. Of course those with an overly inflated sense of impending doom will object.

13. 71Commander

71Commander
    Expand Collapse

The article refers to protests at both the Republican and democrat conventions. What it failed to point out was that both conventions were being protested by the same group of radical moonbats from the democrat party.

The DU faction hate obama because they believe that he isn't liberal enough.

14. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

Again, we need to differentiate between buildings inside of which it is already illegal for me to carry, and public streets, where state law protects my right to do so.

You think I shouldn't be allowed to carry on a street that is near a political convention? What about a rally? What about when a politician shows up at a coffee shop for an ad hoc stumping opportunity? I have a video on my Youtube channel in which I'm 10 feet away from Mitt Romney as he speaks in the parking lot across the street from my office. I had a pistol in my pocket. Should it have been illegal for me to have had it? Why?

What other times and places do you think my right to carry should be taken away?

15. Bren

Bren
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Life Member

I'm not sure how presenting a negative image on the news, and accomplishing nothing else, will prevent anything. It might help get your state's open carry law changed, like it did in California, but I'd as soon have OC stay legal for the rare occasion when a non-nutjob needs to do it.

16. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott
    Expand Collapse
    Prickley Fan

With all the security there has been at recent presidential conventions due to worries about potential threats, including the "free speech zones" for demonstrators, it seems to me that the conventions are places where a person very well may need to be armed if he or she so chooses.

17. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

18. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Why would that be the case?

19. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

This is the default position of the overwhelming majority of Americans and succinctly capsulizes the reason why we have the overreaching state we have today: the largest and most expensive government in history.

This is the source from which flows the continued assault on individual liberty in favor of a collectivized safety-state that produces voluminous code, compounding year after year after year.

Look no further, we have seen the enemy. And he is us. Without absolving the state and the enforcement class, it must be noted that we sacrificed our sovereignty and our manhood to Leviathan voluntarily.

#19 barbedwiresmile, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  20. Gary W Trott

Gary W Trott
    Expand Collapse
    Prickley Fan

Because the whole reason for the talk against concealed carry at these events is based upon the possiblity of violence at the conventions. So...if there is a possibility of violence...people would do well to arm themselves for protection should violence break out.