close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mounting positions for a red dot

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by catalyst686, Dec 5, 2011.

1. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

I want my red dot as far forward as possible on my flat top ar in order to have a bit of space between my magnifier and red dot, I know that bridging the gap it a no no. My main question is, if the red dot hangs over the rail, but it only secured to the flat top receiver, is that ok? As long as the red dot is fastened to the receiver part I don't think It'll cause an issue, I could be wrong though.... I'll post a pic once I get my new phone tmrw.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Would be best to have all the mount supported by the receiver.
    You will just have to try it and see if it holds zero. Dependimg upon the mount,
    it may "wobble" a bit, thus opening shot groupings a bit.

Wish I had a better answer,.....I've just never tried that

3. boomhower

boomhower
    Expand Collapse

Don't bridge the gap. There are cantilever mounts that will get out there a bit farther.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

4. MStarmer

MStarmer
    Expand Collapse
    In Jail...

I guess it would depend on your sight and mount. It may take a bit of trial and error or just going to Larue and getting the set up that works from the get go. My wife wanted to try a magnifier for her Eotech but didn't want a rail system so after a few tries and Marshall's help we ended up with this. Not as fancy as some but it can be done on the receiver without cantilevers and such.

[​IMG]

5. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot
    Expand Collapse
    OIF 04-05

This is just a suggestion, but the less junk you have mounted the better. Consider if you really need the optic or whether its just AR bling. Remember the more you add the more it weighs and the less proficient you may become with your rifle...Just fuel for thought, not meant to break your stones.

6. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

Not to bust your stones, but "the less junk you have mounted the better" is simply your opinion on the matter. I would imagine that the OP definitely does not consider his optics "mounted junk", or he wouldn't be coming here asking how to mount them properly.

And I'd simply love for you to explain how mounting an RDO makes one less proficient with their rifle.

#6 M&P15T, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

He does have a point. Weight causes fatigue and fatigue will effect performance.

-----

The cantilever someone mentioned earlier would probably work for you.

8. catalyst686

catalyst686
    Expand Collapse

I got a different optic and my set up looks similar to the pic that is posted above. Thanks for the help!

9. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

Haven't we covered this topic enough already? Haven't we gotten to the understanding that things like optics on ARs are pretty much standard, and that their benefits faaaaaar out-weigh any negatives for their users?

I also do not recall the OP saying that weight (ounces?) is an issue for him, so why would you and TangoFoxtrot assume that it is? How about you guys ask the OP how he uses his rifle, and if weight is a consideration first?

#9 M&P15T, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  10. JBUS

JBUS
    Expand Collapse
    I'mHellaJelly!

I like Mstarmer's solution.

It all depends on how you will be using your rifle. Just make an honest assessment of yourself and the weapon's usage and if you don't care about weight. Some care, some don't. Either way, you'll be good.

I run my LE6920 in patrol and have searched large areas for hours in the heat ( I know, whaa whaa whaa!) but I learned a few things and that was to be thankful for a M4 with a T-1 and no frivolous BS hanging off it. Unlike a few of my partners who went home after that day and stripped off Redi-Mags and buttstock pouches and the like....one even sold his magnifier.

11. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I simply stated that TF had a valid point. I made no assumptions as to the OP's needs or use.

Weight no matter what the measurment always has the ability to become an issue whether you're 100 pounds or a 245 pound athlete.

#11 mjkeat, Dec 9, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  12. AK_Stick

AK_Stick
    Expand Collapse
    AAAMAD
    1. Glock Talk's Drunk Squad

If a redi-mag or magnifier is enough that you're having trouble carrying a rifle for a few hours, might need to adjust some life choices.

13. M&P15T

M&P15T
    Expand Collapse
    Beard One

Stick to them guns son!!!:rofl::rofl:

14. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

Ok you win, weight has no bearing on possible fatigue and fatigue has no effect on a shooter.

15. JBUS

JBUS
    Expand Collapse
    I'mHellaJelly!

We won't get into that....I said my peace when I saw it happening. They made fun of me for wearing my OSOE Micro Rig in the beginning but weren't laughing at the end.

Let's not start on the guys showing up with Eo's and magnifiers and stripping the magnifiers off 2 hours into a tactical rifle class.....then again, these guys work inside, all day in the jails.

16. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

If you lugging the AR 50 miles a day, yeah weight is critical.

An EoTech weighs less than a loaded Glock 21 mag. Big whoop.

#16 cowboy1964, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  17. mjkeat

mjkeat
    Expand Collapse

I'm confused then. Whats the big deal over lightening ARs for 3gun and the marketing and time spent by all these AR and parts manufacturers over lightweight parts?

18. owl6roll

owl6roll
    Expand Collapse

Hang out at ready gun for about 6 minutes, several times in a trainiing session, you'll see stuff flying off them rifles.

19. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Paratus

Yes you are and it's OK.. Marketing exists to confuse and muddy the issues..

A superlightweight gun that breaks on the range is OK, it sucks when you have to engage someone shooting at you and your super LW 3 gun blaster comes up NONFUNC.

20. Mayhem like Me

Mayhem like Me
    Expand Collapse
    Semper Paratus

OR you will see those who train to win succeed because they put in the prep time to get physically fit...