close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mounting a TLR-1?

Discussion in 'Black Rifle Forum' started by buzzkill, Mar 4, 2012.

1. buzzkill

buzzkill

Feb 10, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I am thinking of mounting a Streamlight TLR-1s on my Bushmaster XM15. I am currently running a YHM railed forend with the MagPul AFG1. First off what do you guy think about the TLR-1 on an AR type carbine? And how should I mount it? Should I used an offset or a 45 degree mount?

I would love to see some pics if anyone uses this set up!! Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    I assume you A) have a fixed front sight, and B) already own the TLR-1. If both of these are the case, I'd suggest an offset adapter, such as this one from Daniel Defense.

If either of A or B isn't the case, there may be a better way - either different rail positioning, or by purchasing a different light.

3. Jack Black

Jack Black

Dec 19, 2000
    Vegas Baby!
    That seems like an odd way to mount a TLR-1. Most people just mount it onto one of the rails.

4. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

Apr 5, 2008
    Far West, USA
    I have a TLR-2(same light but with a laser) on my HD AR, I can get you a pic tomorrow. Works fine, I have it mounted to the bottom rail on my Troy quad rail just in front of my vertical grip.

Edit to add photo of my Streamlight flashlight setup

[​IMG]

5. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Mounting it to a side rail can put it in the way, especially with an AFG, depending on personal hand position. The offset adapter can get around this. Top rail is out with a fixed front, for obvious reasons. Plus, getting the light above the bore (as opposed to below it) limits any issues from a shadow cast by the barrel being in front of the light.

6. fox3091

fox3091

Nov 22, 2011
    Didnt someone make a mount system that puts the light ahead of the FSB?

I am getting ready to mount one on a Troy TRX 13" this coming week. I'll post pics when I get it set up.

Edit: Found it, it's the Mossie Tactics Midnight Mount.

7. boomhower

boomhower

Feb 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    I've got mine mounted at nine o'clock. Works great, easy activation with my thumb.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

8. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    I have a Magpul carbine handguard. I mounted my TRL-1 in the 2 0'clock position. If I have to round a corner from the left, I just cant the rifle left (TRL-1 now moves to the 12 'oclock position) so as not to light myself up with the reflected light.

9. not the tlr-1 but i tried mounting the tlr-3 on my rifle.

[​IMG]

didn't work out too well for me, so I got a new light and changed it to this:
    [​IMG]

my next build I will mount the light offset at around 3o'clock.

10. pag23

pag23

Jul 28, 2008
    Eastern PA
    I think Surf mounted something like this under the thread "Big & Little Brother".... there is photos..

11. FriscoCHL

FriscoCHL

Nov 19, 2007
    TX
    on the secound picture, do you have any issues with the lense getting dirty being so close to the muzzle? ETA: very nice weapon by the way...

12. RetailNinja

RetailNinja

Jan 31, 2007
    Tuktoyaktuk
    I like mine on the side. Pressure switch for easy on/off plus with flick of my finger I can select the always on.

[​IMG]

13. Javelin

Javelin Got Glock? Silver Member

Feb 9, 2008
    N. Dallas
    Side mount is preferable.

The 9-o'clock mounting of that thing is OK but forget about resting your AR down on a barrier to take aim and shooting without possibly damaging the unit.

14. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    Pencil eraser works great for taking the residue off the glass.

15. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I run the same setup on a Bushmaster and Colt. I think it works really well and I like the placement of the light.

16. blaster_54738

blaster_54738

Jul 24, 2007
    WI
    I don't have any pictures but this is exactly the setup I'm using

17. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    The problem with a 6 o'clock position is the shadow cast by the barrel is going to be dead center in your field of view. If you are using your light for target confirmation before pulling the trigger, that shadow can cause a real problem. Ideally, the light should be ABOVE the bore, and on the side that casts the shadow away from your primary field of vision. If you have a long enough rail and/or short enough barrel, you can also get the light far enough forward to eliminate the shadowing entirely.