close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Motorcycle as only transportation?

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by EM87, Oct 17, 2012.

1. EM87

EM87

EDIT: I've decided 100% now (it was 99% before) that I am not going to do this, but don't stop the discussion! It's great to hear different points of view.

-------------------------------------------------

I'm not seriously considering this at the moment (just throwing the idea around in my head) because I don't really think it's a viable option, but I thought I'd throw it out for discussion anyway:

I will be moving to Tucson, AZ soon and am wondering what it would be like to own a motorcycle and no car. I have heard of people doing this and want to get opinions and insight from the folks here.

Is this sane?
    Is it doable?
    Has anyone here done it? If so, could you share your experience?

Looking forward to this discussion, as it could turn out to be pretty interesting.

As a side note, I will be working as a real estate agent and need to look professional, which is one reason I don't think it could work out. It might not look great if I show up on a motorcycle all the time.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  2. Gareth68

Gareth68

I did it for 2 years in upstate NY. When I was young, I couldn't afford insurance on a car.

Without the snow and ice, it wouldn't be too bad at all.

You get pretty creative at carrying things.

I could carry three brown paper bags of groceries at a time.

Of course, lots of things I did 20 years ago would kill me now.

3. ray9898

ray9898

It would suck. Normal things such as carrying passengers and trips to the grocery store are a task. The weather becomes a factor on every trip. No ability to haul anything of size.

4. Gareth68

Gareth68

I just saw the real estate agent line, I guess I started replying before finishing reading.

No, that would not look professional at all.

Non-starter.

As a factory automaton, I did not have such worries.

5. jfost11

jfost11

I have a coworker who's truck was broken down for almost two years. His primary transportation was his Harley. Even in the dead of winter, he rode his bike. If the weather was really nasty, or if his wife didn't need their other vehicle he would drive it or have her drop him off.

I'd imagine in AZ, the weather wouldn't be as much of a bother as it is in VA but the real estate part will probably give you trouble. I don't know how you plan to operate as an agent but, our agent took us to many of the listings we looked at. It would really look unprofessional to tell a client, "Sorry, I can't give you a ride to the house I want to show you. I was actually hoping to ride with you."

6. EM87

EM87

The real estate agent thing is probably the kicker for why I won't end up doing it.

It's too bad, really. But I would much rather look professional than not have a car.

7. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

If you plan right and have decent luggage on your bike it's very doable. For anything "large" that you really can't fit on a bike (you can fit a more than you think on a bike), you can always rent a car or truck for a day and be way ahead money wise when you compare to keeping, maintaining, and insuring a car or truck.

I only still have my car because well I like cars and racing so I do that stuff on the side. But other than some rare times my car rarely leaves the garage and I'm usually on the bike.

8. jeepinbandit

jeepinbandit Sgt. USMC

Double Tap.

9. happy seal

happy seal

No! Won't suffice!

10. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

I only had a bike from '84 -'85 and would not do it again. I lived in NYC so took mass transit but couldn't really leave the metro area that winter. I had to take Greyhound to go skiing at Hunter Mtn. HH

11. EM87

EM87

I've decided 100% now (it was 99% before) that I am not going to do this, but don't stop the discussion! It's great to hear different points of view.

12. Ferdinandd

Ferdinandd

I worked with a guy who sold his car to help fund a new Indian. His GF had a car that worked sometimes, and he figured he could use that when weather made for bad cycling comfort/conditions. The weather sometimes surprises us, as it did one Friday evening in early spring after said coworker bought the bike. He had to ride it home during an unexpected hard snow in the spring, no helmet, no goggles. The following Monday he looked like he'd been on a deserted tropical island for years. The wind burn and frostbite had done considerable damage to his face. He stayed upright during the ride home, however...

13. TK-421

TK-421

Yeah, it wouldn't have been a good idea, you definitely need a car when you're a realtor. My aunt is a realtor, and she has a car, because she drives her clients around to the different houses they want to look at. She drives an Acura, because she says the trick is not look so impressive that it makes your clients think you're doing well and don't need the commission, but you don't want to look so poor and crappy that they think you're a bad realtor who can't close deals.

You want at least a four door, nice looking car, if not an SUV. A motorcycle just wouldn't do it, because you'd only be able to take one passenger, and your outfits wouldn't look as nice. Remember, you want to look professional, and a suit on a motorcycle isn't exactly the best idea, if you want it to remain clean and looking nice.

14. Trapped_in_Kali

Trapped_in_Kali

I had a bike only for years (even had two, one with rain tires & one with dry tires at one time). At various times I carried laundry to the laundry mat, groceries, empty keg of beer back for deposit, a pane of glass to fix a window, my dog, a passenger, 12 gauge shot gun, 30-30 rifle, new tires to be installed, fast food from drive through (including drinks) and anything else I needed.
    I only had to go to 4 wheels when I got into construction and needed a truck.
    You can wear a riding suit over your clothes if you need to wear a suit or other "nice" clothes.

15. The Pirate

The Pirate HARRRRR!!!

I've worked at a bike shop for roughly 10 years. I love motorcycles as much or maybe even more than you, and I wouldn't consider it. Especially for the career you have chosen. Buy a $1000 car or truck If you need too, but you'll never make it in that line of work on a bike.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

16. EM87

EM87

Great replies, thanks everyone.

I have a nice car, so that won't be a problem.

17. Happypuppy

Happypuppy

I tend to agree with your location (hot) and job it would be hard. I have used a motorcycle for 2 years as the only vehicle I own. I do however have access to cars , and buses. I like to walk as well. It's a lot easier when retired...

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

18. Snaps

Snaps Hail 2 The King

won't fly where I live....

19. cdog533

cdog533 Zombie Killer

In the UK and France, many businessmen drive motorcycles or scooters daily. They typically are nice, quiet vehicles (not hogs) and the guys wear something like a rainsuit but made of very light material to keep dirt and bugs off them.

I would say if you get a 500cc scooter, or a small BMW cruiser, or a Goldwing, it should be fine. THIS WILL NOT WORK ON A CHOPPER WITH OPEN PIPES.

As for real estate, the people can follow behind you in their own car. And the bike will give you some identity.

20. Clutch Cargo

Clutch Cargo Amsterdam Haze

I've done it. It isn't safe riding in ice storms.