close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Most balls-on accurate rimfire rifle?

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by Glockster_221, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Hi.

So, what exactly is the most balls-on, **** accurate tac-driver of a rifle? I'm going to throw out some names: CZ, Savage.

I don't want to spend more than $450 on this piece, but I want the most accuracy that amount of money can buy. Trigger has to be like butter or I won't consider it.

Also, I want a bolt action rifle as they are inherently more accurate than semis.

Thanks guys!

2. There's a reason that Anschutz has more international small-bore titles than any other brand... but in your stated price range I'd opt for a Savage heavy barrel model with laminated stock and accu-trigger. I have two (both .17s) and every time I shoot them, I am again amazed at their accuracy, even in my hands.

3. I've always wanted a Savage. Are they better than CZs?

4. Twisted Steel

Twisted Steel And Sex Appeal

Apr 28, 2002
    Earth
    If it's balls-on accurate, you can bet it will command a premium price. $450 is not likely to get the most accurate, but it will get a good one.

My next rimfire will be the Weatherby MK XXII bolt action, which I think is built on the Anshutz action.

5. How much do those go for?

6. MSRP is $999

I'd look around for a used Anschutz 64 action target rifle. It will be over your $450 price range, but if it comes with sights you should be able to sell off the target sights for $150 and then put a scope on it.

7. You're asking for Dom Perignon on a Moet Chandon budget. If you're asking for THE BEST .22LR Rifle - the Anchutz SuperMatch 54 comes first to my mind. As for your "bolt vs. autoloader" opinion, I held the same view until I bought a Volquartsen. But we're still waaayyy out of your budget. Best bet for ~$450? You called it right to begin with - CZ 452 (Varmint or FS). But don't misunderstand, the Savage MK II BV Accu-Trigger is a pure peach of a .22 rifle. With any of the four options mentioned above, the story is EXACTLY the same. They can ALL shoot...better than YOU & I can shoot. Enjoy your pick!

8. Ford vs Chevy...

Out of the box, the Savage Accu-trigger is better than most of the CZs.

In terms of inherent accuracy...... if you took ten of each and shot them for accuracy they'd probably come out tied.

9. Twisted Steel

Apr 28, 2002
    Earth
  10. ddhotbot

ddhotbot

Oct 1, 2004
    midwest
  11. Caladan

Caladan

Aug 7, 2007
  12. Caladan

Caladan

Aug 7, 2007
    The CZ is finished a bit better. The Savage's trigger is better out of the box, but the CZ's can be made even better if you care to do the work. Accuracy is pretty even.....

13. Caladan

Caladan

Aug 7, 2007
    "Like butter" is pretty subjective, but I've not seen any trigger in your price range that i would describe in that fashion -- not even the Accutriggers.

You can get an aftermarket trigger for the CZ's and make them pretty good, but that will cost more than your budget allows. You could also get an aftermarket trigger for a Ruger 10/22 and still be in your budget, and have something that will shoot MOA with match ammo.

In your budget, the best trigger I've used so far in a new rifle is the Accutrigger. If you don't mind a used rifle, then the suggestion about a used lightweight match rifle like an Anschutz 64 is spot on, and is the way I would go...

14. Twisted Steel

Apr 28, 2002
    Earth
    I have one of the older (okay, old) semi auto rifles. It was made for Weatherby by Beretta. That bad boy is a tack driver and gobbles any brand of ammo I feed it. It's absolutely amazing, and I am stunned at the accuracy. If I ever see one of those for sale in a pawn shop, I'm buying.

15. seamaster

seamaster

Feb 19, 2003
    Both Savage and CZ are pretty close.

The CZ action feels better to me but the Savage costs less. Best bang for the buck would be the basic Savage but once you step up to the nicer model your in the CZ price point.

One of my favorites is the CZ 452 American with 16" barrel and nice walnut stock.

16. mag318

mag318

Jul 23, 2007
    Illinois
    The most accurate 22 rifle I have ever owned is a Russian Izmash Biathlon 7-2KO and they can be had for around $400. These things have to be shot to be believed. Free floating hammer forged barrel and an exceptional trigger.

17. tater9mm

tater9mm

Dec 28, 2009
    Anschutz all the way, but in your price range I'd go with a CZ. My CZ's aren't quite in the league with my Anschutz rifles, but they're darn close accuracy wise.

18. Caladan

Caladan

Aug 7, 2007
    Do you have any suggestions as to where to look for one of these?

thanks!

19. Google is a start. A Google search brings up sellers, and many threads at forums discussing where to buy and how much they paid.

Just just little tip: If someone on a board says "I spoke with Mac Tilton and he has these for $395". Google Mac Tilton.