close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mossberg or Remington

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by NEOH212, Jan 15, 2012.

1. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Ok people, sell me on my next tactical shotgun. I have ardently been a Mossberg Gal for all of my shooting days. I have two Mossbergs. I would like whatever I get next to be at least as durable and reliable as the Mossberg 590A1 and stay at or under $800. So, what do you think. Do I go with a semi auto, do I stay with a pump? Do I stay with Mossberg, do I go with a Remington, or do I get something else all together?

I would appreciate your input. Thanks! :wavey:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  2. MrMurphy

MrMurphy ********* Moderator Moderator Millennium Member Lifetime Member

Jan 16, 2001
    Buried in the X-files
    The 870 Police is just fine. I have no issues with either platform.

Remington's coming out with the new R12, which is the combat shotgun equivalent of their shoots-it-all Versamax. Might want to check it out.

3. I have a Winchester SXP Defender and a Remington 870, both our great shotguns but my new favorite shotgun is the Mossberg 930 SPX. Wow where do I begin? It’s a 7+1 semi-auto tactical shotgun. It has a 7 round magazine, 18 ½ barrel, LPA/M16 style ghost ring rear sight, mounted on a Picatinny rail. I’ve put hundred’s of rounds through this gun with 0 malfunctions and what I really like about the gun it handles the load brass stuff so when I’m out fun shooting I’m able to shoot the Remington low brass 100 shell value pack I can get at Wal-Mart for under $30.00. I picked up my gun up a Dick’s for only $619.00 plus tax about half of what you would pay for comparable combat semi auto shotgun, plus it’s made in the USA. If you choose a semi auto make sure it will reliably handle the low brass loads, it will get really expensive if the gun will only handle the high brass loads. I’m attaching a fellow Glock Talk member’s review of his 930 SPX. Good Luck.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9uNbc03UYI&feature=relmfu"]Mossberg 930 SPX range review - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  4. Big Bird

Big Bird NRA Life Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Louisville KY
    I've only seen one Versamax in the duck blind and based on what I saw I wouldn't own one. (constant malfunctions with 3" steel loads).

I have no personal experience with one--just what I saw.

5. itstime

itstime

Apr 9, 2006
    USA
    I'm a Mossberg man. Also a lefty. I just prefer the safety comfig on the Mossbergs.

As states earlier, the 930 SPX is a great shotgun. I own one myself. Shoots everything and has all tw cool features at a reasonable cost to boot.

6. Reswob

Reswob

Mar 8, 2009
    VA
    Remmy's are duck guns that can be converted to be useable as HD/tactical/etc.

Mossy's are built as combat shotguns from the start.

7. Nestor

Nestor Lean & Mean

Jul 13, 2003
    Canada
    No, You got it all wrong.
    Mossberg is just a rabbit gun, but only with the slugs.
    Otherwise it's only good for squirrels.

8. jellis11

jellis11 Yippee-ki-yay

Jul 27, 2011
    South Kakalaki
    I've always had Remingtons. Last year I had my heart set on a Mossy 590. Got to the shot, was about to buy it... lol couldn't do it. Remington is my suggestion. But it's all up to you :)

9. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank Who?

May 15, 2010
    NW Florida
    :rofl:

10. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    If your most familiar with Mossbergs, that's what you should stick with. That way you don't have to re-learn how to use it. As for semi vs. pump, that is personal preference.

11. Aceman

Aceman

Nov 30, 2008
    Tampa
    I assume one gun IS a 590? What's the other, and what do want to shoot with it?

(Just crazy, but I thought these might be important questions before answering...)

12. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Yes, one of my shotguns is a 590A1 and the other is a 500 special purpose. It will be a defensive shotgun only. I'm looking to add something different to the collection than I already have. It should have a 3" chamber and preferably ghost ring sights.

13. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    I kind of like that and the price isn't bad either!

14. NEOH212

NEOH212 Diesel Girl

Mar 25, 2008
    North East Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the input. I'll let you know what I decide! :wavey:

15. nelsone

nelsone rank amateur

Apr 10, 2008
    Beaverton Oregon
    At eight hundred bucks pain threshold and a desire for "something different" but still in the SD category, I'd say wait for the KSG. It's what I'm holding out for.

16. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    If you already have a 590A1 and a 500, a 930SPX would fit the bill perfectly.

17. 6F0 Nick

6F0 Nick Just Wanna Fly

Jul 28, 2008
    East Coast
    That's like choosing between Pepsi and Coke for me. I have owned both Rem and Moss and have been satisfied with both shotguns. It is more a matter of personal preference than which one is "better".

18. I love my 870P with ghost rings, Wilson extension, and wood police furniture, I'd never sell it. That being said,I would really like a Mossberg 590A1. I'm not really into semi autos, but if I were in your boat, with a couple of Mossbergs already, and wanting something different, I'd try one of those 930s. They do look a little "weak" to me though.

19. PantherFan

PantherFan

Feb 14, 2009
    I love my Mossberg 930 SPX. It sets beside my bed ready to rock and roll.