close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mossberg 590A1?

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by wanderinwalker, Mar 20, 2010.

1. wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker 6 of .44

Feb 13, 2003
    New Hampshire
    I am interesting in picking up a Mossberg 590A1. The 18.5" model with the ghost ring sights has caught my eye.

Basically I want this for combat shotgun matches and for throwing lots of slugs and buck. I have a pair of 870s (20 and 12), but am not thrilled with the fact that my 12 sometimes fails to eject. I know it would be cheaper to get a barrel for it though, but I am very familiar with aperture/ghost ring type sights from rifle shooting and think I would get along well with a shotgun so equipped.

What is the general board concensus of the 590A1? Worth the price premium? (I'm assuming I'm going to have to order it in.) Other suggestions?

2. I have two 590A1 18.5" with bead sites and I like them more than my 870's mainly due to the controls and shell lifter.

The GRS version shouldn't be that much more than the bead site model. Davidson's have 4 that said they were on sale for $400 something.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010

3. CAcop

CAcop

Jul 21, 2002
    California
    I have one and I like it. If I were to do it differently I would have gotten the bead sighted one since it is really only going to be used in the house. I got the GRS model just because I was going to try to get it approved for duty use but there are way too many obsticles for that.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    I'm a huge fan of the 590a1. I have a 20" version with ghost ring sights. I also have an 18.5" version with ghost ring sights that was customized by Vang Comp. I was a hardcore 870 fan until I got these, and have since sold all of my 870's. The 590a1 is, in my opinion, the best pump action combat shotgun ever made.

5. hogarth

hogarth

May 17, 2008
    I have the exact one you are wanting, 18.5 w/GR sights. I added a Surefire LED forend, short LOP Hogue buttstock, and a sidesaddle. I love it. I haven't shot it a ton, but it's been flawless so far. It is a pretty heavy gun, but I like that feeling.

6. dakotasdad

dakotasdad

May 1, 2007
    NW Arkansas
    Yep, in my opinion its worth it. Heavier barrel than the 500 and the extra weight helps to suck up some of the recoil. FWIW, I have the 20" version with the ghost rings. and short stock.

7. Sheepdog Scout

Sheepdog Scout Behind you!

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    Just got a 590a1 w/ GRS and 20 inch barrel. It's a fantastic shotgun. Very good price for it too.:wavey:

8. Puppy

Puppy

Nov 12, 2006
    Ditto, except I still have an 870 that I keep around for use as a "loaner".

9. jp 19

jp 19

Jun 11, 2000
    caledonia
    Originally Posted by PlasticGuy View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the 590a1. I have a 20" version with ghost ring sights. I also have an 18.5" version with ghost ring sights that was customized by Vang Comp. I was a hardcore 870 fan until I got these, and have since sold all of my 870's. The 590a1 is, in my opinion, the best pump action combat shotgun ever made.
    *L*

just goes to show ya ... i had the 590a1 18.5 GR...
    but i have always been a remington 870 person since i was a kid...
    although i would never say anything bad about the 590
    outside of the fact i wasnt impressed with the quality of Ghost ring site.

i just could not get use to the fact it wasnt a remington...

sooo i sold it and got a remington now life is good... call me crazy

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  10. DaveFJ80

DaveFJ80 Señor Member

Mar 14, 2010
    I think it's worth the premium. However, it's nearly the same price as the Benelli SuperNova ($15 less than the Benelli, after you add in a cheap $30 pistol grip stalk for the 590A1). If it was a little bit cheaper, then I would've probably bought it instead of my Benelli. Just something to consider.

11. Sheepdog Scout

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    I don't recommend a pistol grip stock on a 590a1. Just not very smooth transition to the safety from that kind of grip. But each his own as well. I don't like adjustable stock on 'em either.

12. wlst101

wlst101

Jul 24, 2005
    Tucson,Az
  13. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

Jul 10, 2000
    That has been my experience also. I think the 590a1 is at its best with a shorter length of pull conventional stock. A pistol grip makes both the safety and the action release slower to operate.

14. Sheepdog Scout

Jan 23, 2010
    Who knows?
    No doubt for me on that. Granted I'm not in the military anymore, but I all the extra reaction time I can get.

15. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

Jun 14, 2005
    Tulsa
    If you want slick, try a winchester Defender. It's got a SLICK action.. and shoots Aguila mini shells.. :)