close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mossberg 500 with Knox Spec Ops...

Discussion in 'Tactical Shotguns' started by gnepig, Jul 12, 2010.

1. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

... recoil reducing stock... I thought these things were supose to reduce recoil?!... It seems to be working as seen in the video we took of it, but it kicks as hard as my other shotguns with fixed stocks on them. Doesn't feel like it's reducing recoil, just delaying it. Oh yeah, the part where the cheek rest kicks you in the face sucks too...

What did I do wrong or is this thing boggus? I know one thing, the new stock makes the Mossberg weigh alot more than the other SG's that I have.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 gnepig, Jul 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  2. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

3. JBnTX

JBnTX
    Expand Collapse
    Texas

Just another tacticool gadget designed to separate you from your
    hard earned money.:rofl:

4. WoodenPlank

WoodenPlank
    Expand Collapse
    Who?

That is unusual, as the Knoxx pistol grip on my 590 works wonders. Compared to a standard fixed pistol grip, it is a WORLD of difference. After about 2 full magazines my wrist cannot take any more (I have carpal tunnel and nerve damage) with a standard pistol grip, but I can shoot as long as I want (and ammo holds out) with the BreachersGrip. Both the pistol grip and stock use the same recoil mechanism, so I find it odd that you think it is actually WORSE.

#4 WoodenPlank, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  5. aippi

aippi
    Expand Collapse

If you have the recoil reducing one and not the NR version then the stock works as it is designed. You can not shoot it like a conventional stock. You have to keep your left arm loose because if you are locking it, then you are locking up the weapon and not letting the stock take the recoil. Let the arm cam back with the stock.

Also, anyone who says they are getting cheek slap is also not shooting it correctly. Bead sight barrels are the big issue when a guys does not know the correct way to shoot this stock. You simply keep your head up and raise the weapon up to your line of sight not lay your face down to the weapon. You can do this by hunching the shoulder or even raising the stock up higher in the pocket of you shoulder. You can do this because recoil is not going to an issue.

You can review the correct way to shoot this stock on www.aiptactical.com on the "build your weapon page" as I cover this on that page.

Anyone who tells you this stock does not work should be sent to that page as they are not shooting the stock correctly. Once you master this stock you will find they are very expensive to shoot 'casue if you take 200 rds to the range, you will shoot 200 rds. You will also find you can shoot a pump as fast as a semi-auto. It take some practice but you will get there if you follow the above advce.

6. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

I was hoping it was just me,, I will reveiw your link... Thanx

7. CTfam

CTfam
    Expand Collapse
    DREAM BIG.

Mine worked great. Trust me, I sold it and I DO notice the difference. I may try the compstock when I have a few dollars to blow.

8. Bill Lumberg

Bill Lumberg
    Expand Collapse
    BTF Inventor

Not that much recoil with a factory stock. Recoil reduction is in how you hold the gun. But I noted your report of the extra weight. How much did the part weigh? How much more than the old stock?

9. Navitimer

Navitimer
    Expand Collapse

I have one on my Remington 870 Tac-2, and it definately makes a difference compared to a normal 12 gauge. Knoxx makes two stocks - one is recoil reducing and one isn't, so you may just want to double check and ensure you've got the right one. I've been extremely pleased with mine.

10. JFrame

JFrame
    Expand Collapse

I have a Knoxx SpecOps stock on my Mossberg 500 Mariner. The perceived recoil seems the same, but the actual felt recoil on my shoulder feels quite a bit less (if that makes any sense). After shooting 10 rounds of double-ought buck rapid-fire (as fast as I can fire and shuck, reload 5 rounds, and fire-shuck again), I noticed the booming blasts of the 12 gauge, but didn't feel the commensurate impact on my shoulder through the polo shirt I was wearing (nor did I feel any tenderness thereafter).

11. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

This shotgun came to me with the pistol grip, I think it's called the Cruiser.
    I put this stock on mainly for the wife, for better control and so she wouldn't bust herself in the face when she tried to aim and fire. This shotgun is mainly for home defense, I would like to keep it simple (we don't live in a very good neighborhood).
    The loads I was using in the video are 2 3/4 - #7 1/2 bird shot and it did bruise her shoulder.
    I think the part where we are holding the butt pad up so high to see down the sites (groove/Bead) is causing the problem= way too little surface area to dissapate the energy evenly on the shoulder.
    Anyone have ideas on how to drop the butt stock down some and/or raise the sites some to make this more comfortable?
    Or will we enjoy this one better: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0003645223944a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=36&Ntt=stocks&Ntk=Products&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

I keep reading about how much better the Bead site is than others for home defense, will I see the Bead better with the ATI stock?

#11 gnepig, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  12. kenny g

kenny g
    Expand Collapse

How much was the stock? The recoil reducing stocks are about 140.00 and the NRS (non recoil surpressing) are about 70.00. My friend has one on his 870 and it shoots very soft, his petite wife can shoot it with ease.

13. Paniolo55

Paniolo55
    Expand Collapse

I have Knoxx Specops folding wire stocks on my 590A1 and FN police shotguns. The Knoxx stocks work great. The safety on the 590A1 is a little tough to engage but I love the Knoxx stocks.

14. gnepig

gnepig
    Expand Collapse
    Remember

15. JFrame

JFrame
    Expand Collapse

Oddly enough, this thread has had the effect of getting me to order a second Knoxx SpecOps stock, this time for my Pardner...

Go figger...

FYI -- Natchez is selling the recoil-reduction model on sale for $82.99 till the end of this month...

#15 JFrame, Jul 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  16. cj5mrt

cj5mrt
    Expand Collapse

That's a great deal right there.

Mike

17. JFrame

JFrame
    Expand Collapse

Yup -- oddly enough, the sale price isn't shown on their online site. You have to call them and quote the hardcopy catalog number. The sale might be applied online also, but I never tried.

18. gnasty1521

gnasty1521
    Expand Collapse

I took my Maverick 88 out when I first bought it with the original stock. I shot about 40 rounds and my shoulder was tore up. Purple marks all over and a large amount of tenderness afterward. I got the Knoxx Recoil Reducing, shot 75 rounds, and there was nothing to speak of. I was so impressed I couldn't stop talking about it, and my step-dad ordered one and noticed the exact same results.

I watched the video, and you have the right stock, but remember these are mass-produced. Possibly you could have gotten a "bad" or defective one.

19. unit1069

unit1069
    Expand Collapse

I certainly hope the Knoxx reduced recoil system works, since I bought one yesterday.

I have owned a stockless pistol-gripped Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel for fifteen years and shot it perhaps three times. It's nice for maneuverability but horrible to control with self-defense #4 buckshot loads. Like WoodenPlank wrote the pistol grip model really puts a hurt on the hand.

The Knoxx part bolted right onto the receiver with no problem using the tool that came with the kit. Does anyone know about anything else I should do besides testing it out? (Thinking of starting with #9 birdshot and going up from there)

Also, does the Knoxx forend fit on my Maverick 88? I'm not planning on switching out the stock one but would just like to know. I think having a stock on this 12 gauge shotgun will make a big difference in performance and useage, and if the recoil is minimized that will be a huge plus.

20. sns3guppy

sns3guppy
    Expand Collapse

I have one on a mossberg 590, and it works exactly as advertised.