close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosin Nagant question

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by Dalton Wayne, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    I was wondering about the accuracy of a Mosin Nagant 91/59 compared to a regular rifle 91/30 can someone who has shot both pass on a little wisdom please. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

2. deadday

deadday

Aug 14, 2007
    Texas
    Minute of Nazi out to about 600 yards....

3. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay

Jan 24, 2005
    SC
    A great deal depends on barrel floating, tension of the assembly bolts, bore condition and size, bullet weight, etc.

My personal experience is this: Give me a 91/59 ANY day! I've had three or four 91/30's, and none of them have been accurate. I'm sure a more knowledgable shooter could tweak the best out of each rifle, but shooting standard weight boat tail ammo, I didn't shoot them well at all. On the other hand, my 91/59 cut the X-ring on the first round I ever fired out of it. It was fresh from arsenal, full of cosmo, from when it was converted to 91/59, so it looked brand new. I was startled by its accuracy and precision. I have several Finns, but the 91/59 is my all-time favorite.
    PS--The carbine size is much easier to handle, and the long barrel (I'm told) develops a "whip" action upon repeat firing, and is affected by the wooden stocks when this happens. The shorter carbine has a stiffer (due to shorter) barrel, that does not experience that phenomenon.

4. M1Garand

M1Garand

Sep 7, 2005
    Virginia
    91/59 was designed to be a accurate sniper rifle, but the actual performance depends on the condition of the rifle, especially the condition of the barrel.

5. Dalton Wayne

Dalton Wayne Epic mustache Millennium Member

Apr 5, 1999
    Central Florida
    Never seen that in any of my research, are you sure?
    I've never seen nor heard of a scoped version of the 91/59. :cool:
    Regards
    DW

6. kf4zra

kf4zra I miss ya Murph

Aug 15, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I dont know that i believe that. They were made from left over m91's and 91/30's

I have over 20 mosins, and I cant say that the 91/59 is any more accurate than any other carbine i own. It certainly wont outshoot my m39, m27, m28, or m91 finns. 91/30's from the war production years can be hit or miss, but they arent all bad, my 91/30 sniper looks rough, but shoots great.

as far as cutdown rifles go, i would rate it average. when i put it side by side next to my czech 91/38, it is immediate to see that the czechs took a lot more pride in the conversion from rifle to carbine than the russians.

7. 45reloader

45reloader Live Free

Feb 18, 2009
    PA South East
    Luck of the draw
    I have 6 to prove it.
    I may accurize one someday.

8. YpsiBob

YpsiBob

Aug 6, 2006
    they are the same gun with different barrel lenghts, assuming they both had good rifling seems like the 91/30 should do better because of the added lenght, but you never know untill you try it! so go get a 91/30 and have a shoot off!

the 91/59s were made from pre-exsisting 91/30s that had the barrel and stock cut down to create a carbine.