close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mosin Nagant Info! Got something to add? Post it here!

Discussion in 'Military Surplus Forum' started by jonathon, Sep 17, 2005.

1. jonathon

jonathon
    Expand Collapse
    Bowtie Freak

Links and Info:

Misc. Stuff
    • Stripper Clips:

[​IMG]

The one on the left is a genuine Russian Military Stripper clip. These are rare, but they work very well. If you don't mind spending 1/4 the cost of your nice Mosin Nagant on 5 stripper clips, go for it!

The middle one is a poor example of a stripper. Doesn't work to good(doesn't fit in the grooves), and is rather clumsy. Save your money unless you like monkeying around with things!

The far right one is brass. It is easier to work with, but it is soft so long term strength is a big question.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 97guns

97guns
    Expand Collapse

3. jonathon

jonathon
    Expand Collapse
    Bowtie Freak

Well, I think this actually should be scrapped..

I hadn't ever looked at MosinNagant.net, and it looks like they have EVERYTHING imaginable, much better than I could do. :)

Might be useful to leave this up, as I'm sure theres stuff they've missed(like the ammo tests and descriptions).

4. 97guns

97guns
    Expand Collapse

5. fowler

fowler
    Expand Collapse

gunboards.com

6. jonathon

jonathon
    Expand Collapse
    Bowtie Freak

Just a note on the "Sticky Bolt" issues..

I bought a 91/30 for CHEAP at a gun show, beautiful unissued '43. Action was smooth, and it headspaced good. Looked to have even been unfired, other than what the guy I bought it from said about test firing it and saying it worked fine(which was half the truth..)..

Anyways, it had a BIG bur in the chamber that I missed. I think that is why I picked it up for cheap since the guy didn't know what was doing..

Anyways, took a needle file to it and woila, fixed. Just filed down enough to where there were no more stickies.

7. Razoreye

Razoreye
    Expand Collapse
    ♥♥Adorkable!♥♥

Didn't see this sticky but I already found my way to mosinnagant.net on my own back when I bought it. Sure enough the bolt was sticky as hell, followed the directions on three different days before the stickiness went away. Man I love this gun and everyone should have one.

On a side note: I use some czech surplus ammo. They always say the stuff is corrosive, I don't clean it but every few shoots but I figure that it was made for soldiers shooting substandard ammo, it's good enough for me to use and abuse. ;)

8. jonathon

jonathon
    Expand Collapse
    Bowtie Freak

I don't think it's as horrible as they say, though I believe combine the ammo and an enviroment that is extremely damp or humid, and it will cause issues. If I was in say, AZ and shooting this stuff, I probably wouldn't worry so much. The salts in the corrosive ammo attract moisture however, and in my neck of the woods we get a ton of rain(went shooting in the pouring rain today).

On a side note, I noticed with great pleasure that the steel core ammo does a wonderful job shattering rocks and concrete ;N

9. kf4zra

kf4zra
    Expand Collapse
    I miss ya Murph

dang i have a rifle rated a #7 and a #9 for rarity on that list

10. Burncycle

Burncycle
    Expand Collapse

I've got about a dozen of those stripper clips you've identified as "genuine russian military", and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I just can't get them to work.

I dunno if I'm stacking them in wrong or what

11. IronHorseman

IronHorseman
    Expand Collapse

12. rangerruck

rangerruck
    Expand Collapse

foundan idea from a site on how to lighten and shortne up the trigger pull. go to home depot and get a pkg of small very thin toothed washers. make sure hole is big enough for the trigger screw to go through. it is o.k. if it is overly big, just dont get the pkg with thehole to small. put one under the trigger spring, rutn the trigger screw back through the hole and tighten, and ta -daa! your done!.

13. Mogasatator

Mogasatator
    Expand Collapse

I got a 1943 M44 and would like to know where I can get a unused barrel to replace mine...

14. HOUNDAWG

HOUNDAWG
    Expand Collapse

You can try Numrich Gun Parts Corp. www.gunpartscorp.com
    has M44 barrels - stock no. 299740 - for $44.95

15. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now
    Expand Collapse
    Molon Labe

Since complete M44s on sale at Big 5 are $87 I would just keep it for spare parts and go hand select one there. Clean the bore well and inspect. The good ones I have found rate from 99% to 100% perfect mechanically and bore wise. Stocks will have dings.

I have found numerous excellent condition Nagants including M91/30s with hex receivers at Big 5.. the M91/30s are $84 on sale..it's addictive!

16. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now
    Expand Collapse
    Molon Labe

Butler Creek stock and a LER scope.. done it, works and looks great, and less than $210! Only about $140 with the original wood stock! I use silvertip Chech ammo

17. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now
    Expand Collapse
    Molon Labe

One more thing: The aftermarket strippers are indeed junk. Just resign yourself to loading rounds one at a time ;L

18. axel

axel
    Expand Collapse
    Nov. 11, 1918

I came across this while searching for 7.62x39 ammo. Seems like a good deal but you tell me. I'm rather new to Milsurp.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Laminated_Stock_Mosin_Nagant_91_30_7.62x54R_Rifle.html

[​IMG]
    Mosin91/30Lam Laminated Wood Stock Russian Mosin Nagant 91/30 7.62x54R Rifle

Item#Mosin91/30Lam
    Rarely seen; these striking 91/30 Mosin Nagant Rifles featuring Laminated wood stocks have Just Arrived and are in very limited quantities. Original Russian Codes on Receiver, Bbl & Stock. Inlcudes accessories shown, and other small metal tools. Refinished to Excellent Condition.

Price: $109.95

19. KusoJijii

KusoJijii
    Expand Collapse
    alegacy of fear

Hey, that's a great deal for a laminate. I am waiting for my C&R license any day now. When I get it, that's the first thing I'm buying with it! And the Mosin44 on the same page :)

20. Apocalypse_Now

Apocalypse_Now
    Expand Collapse
    Molon Labe

Only if I could hand select for bore condition after a good cleaning. All my Nagants are battle worthy and have truly excellent bores and matching numbers compared to their traveling companions I rejected, all of which were advertised "excellent" or "refinished" but were not near as nicenice.