Glock Talk banner

More Ubuntu questions

1K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Semper Gumby 
#1 ·
I downloaded the desktop version and saved it to disk (a USB Thumb Drive).

Now, I'm reading that you cannot install this file directly. You have to first download yet another program, an open-source image burner program (Infra Red) and you have to check the .iso file first using another program called MD5 to see if the file you've downloaded is intact....then burn the image to a CD....then who the hell knows what else.... :brickwall:

How much more UNeasy can this get? :frown:

#2 ·
The boot process typically involves files that are kept in specific, restricted areas of the disk. Did you ever format a floppy in Eks Pee from the GUI and notice the check box that says, “Create an MS-DOS start-up disk”? That check box told the applet that it should copy the system files to those restricted areas of the FDD. If you were to just copy over the same files and dump them onto the FDD, it would not be bootable.

Exactly where those areas are varies depending on the media. They’re not in the same place on a thumb drive as they’d be on a FDD or a HDD or a DVD. The file(s) themselves probably are a bit different, too, I dunno. Presumably, they could have built a universal installation application with a logic process to determine what type media it was being installed to, then install the correct version of the files to the right spot, but I suspect that would have required a dramatic increase in the sophistication of the installation process. Not to mention a substantial increase in the size of the installation files. So they leave it to the end user to chose the installation application acccording to the media it will be installed on.

The MD5 check, BTW, isn’t mandatory. It’s a sort of safety check to determine whether the image you’ve just downloaded is complete before you go to the effort to burn it, only to discover it won’t install.

#4 ·
I'm not sure I understand the "problem"

Any burning program will burn an image, if you have one, use it. Most likely if you googled burning an image, you just found instructions for Infra Red. I've used Deepburner, ISo record, Nero, Adept, etc, to burn images under Windows. Burning an image to a disk, has nothing to do w/ Ubuntu, you have to do that with any linux distribution there is. Burn the disk under Windows if you like, then boot the disk and install if you want to.

Also, I never run the md5 checks.., I just burn my image's slow, around 4x, and I've never had a problem.

#5 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubun...bs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1211046969&sr=8-5

I might just wait for the release of "The Official Ubuntu Book" (third edition) which includes an installation DVD.
You can do that if you want, but thats just a beginners guide if I recall, and all the info in that book is easily found in the Ubuntu wiki...

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Hardy

Whats not in the wiki can usually be answered pretty easily in the forums or in IRC..

IGF

#6 ·
The boot process typically involves files that are kept in specific, restricted areas of the disk. Did you ever format a floppy in Eks Pee from the GUI and notice the check box that says, “Create an MS-DOS start-up disk”? That check box told the applet that it should copy the system files to those restricted areas of the FDD. If you were to just copy over the same files and dump them onto the FDD, it would not be bootable.
I've never done anything like that.

#7 ·
Did you download a full 700MB (almost 700MB) CD iso, "CD image"? You should be able to use just about any CD burning program you have in Windows. Different programs use different names for a CD image, iso, "disk at once" DAO. Some programs will recognize it as a CD iso and some you have to choose after choosing something like make a data disk. After making a proper CD you need to set your PC's BIOS to first boot from the CD then the hard drive.

#9 ·
A friend just referred me to this burner utility:

http://cdburnerxp.se/

He says that he doubts that the burner in Windows Media Player has the ability to burn .iso
If you dont have any other CD burning software than Windows Media Player than you likely will need another program. There is at least one free one that does nothing but iso's. The one you posted should work. Some of the free programs aren't as easy to use as the commercial programs so it might take a couple of tries.

#13 ·
the program I posted the link to displays a message prior to install telling me that in order to install, something called .NET 4 needs to be set up and offers to do it. For now, I canceled the install because I have no idea what will happen if I allow...
Yes NET Framework is huge program that really slows down Windows. I use Deep Burner Free. Check my links.

#15 ·
#16 ·
I jusr did a test install of AVG 8.0 on a Windows machine. If you choose "custom" at the beginning of the installation you'll get the choice to opt out of the tool bar and can also opt out of the daily scans. If using on a laptop this might be best because if the PC isn't on at the time of the scan the scan will begin as soon as the PC is switched on. You might want it scanning as soon you start doing something with the PC. The protection is always on though. Avast has a few more "features" that you only get on the paid version of AVG 8.0 so it might not be a bad deal either.

#17 ·
I jusr did a test install of AVG 8.0 on a Windows machine. If you choose "custom" at the beginning of the installation you'll get the choice to opt out of the tool bar and can also opt out of the daily scans. If using on a laptop this might be best because if the PC isn't on at the time of the scan the scan will begin as soon as the PC is switched on. You might want it scanning as soon you start doing something with the PC. The protection is always on though. Avast has a few more "features" that you only get on the paid version of AVG 8.0 so it might not be a bad deal either.
:) Me thinks you hit the wrong thread there, DC..

IGF

#18 ·
#19 ·
:) Me thinks you hit the wrong thread there, DC..

IGF
Must be the spyware from Deep Burner. :) I was on the phone when I posted that. I had just answered the phone. Deep Burner doesn't install anything that wasn't on the older versions. No spyware. It just shows an ad to buy the paid version and then only when you are using the program. In XP the new version works fine. It's suppose to install in Windows 98 and it does but it doesn't work properly and have to use the installer to uninstall it. Then install the next older version.

#20 ·
Installed and currently burning Ubuntu to it right now at 4X speed.
I didn't think about this till now(hopefully not to late), but I would strongly suggest sticking w/ the 32bit version of Ubuntu, even if you have a 64bit capable PC. Filename for the 32bit version will end in "i386". The 64bit versions don't offer much enhanced speed, etc, over the 32bit, and come with several inherent problems. Mostly related to browser plugins, media codecs, and some programs are just not available for 64bit. While some of the problems will have work arounds, some do not..

IGF

#21 ·
I didn't think about this till now(hopefully not to late), but I would strongly suggest sticking w/ the 32bit version of Ubuntu, even if you have a 64bit capable PC. Filename for the 32bit version will end in "i386". The 64bit versions don't offer much enhanced speed, etc, over the 32bit, and come with several inherent problems. Mostly related to browser plugins, media codecs, and some programs are just not available for 64bit. While some of the problems will have work arounds, some do not..

IGF

Already gotcha covered. Mine's the 32 bit version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.