Glock Talk banner

More ubuntu questions

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  captainstormy 
#1 ·
Hello,

I posted here the other day asking about ubuntu after I installed it from my jump drive. Well, after more research, I have more questions.

1. I need to be able to print professional documents. Will ubuntu ever work with my Lexmark 4530?

2. The only Apple product in my life is my ipod -- I want to be able to use it as it is designed with no headaches. Is this possible with ubuntu?

3. We used Turbo Tax online this year to handle our taxes. Do programs like that work in ubuntu?

4. When I go to plug my droid into my computer to download photos, will ubuntu recongize it?

While I really dig the idea of getting 100% away from microsoft stuff, it appears to me that the ubuntu operating system is still lacking some fundamental stuff. Am I wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
Tagged... I'd love to know the answers before I make the jump myself!

#3 ·
I have iTunes installed using Wine, here are the instructions on how to do it.

http://www.technoriztic.com/2011/03/how-to-install-apple-itunes-10-2-on-linux-ubuntu-using-wine/

I also have all of my Wine application data set to backup should I ever need to access my iPhone data to retrieve text messages, etc... (I recently finished with a custody battle for my son, believe me, I got good at getting my text messages off of my phone) :rofl::rofl:

If it's just an iPod, Rhythmbox supposedly will sync your ipod with music, but I haven't tested that.

As far as Lexmark printing goes, you are probably going to be out of luck on that one. HP and Epson printers work best with Ubuntu. I am not sure why the folks at Lexmark are so against putting out some drivers.

I'll look into the other questions and most likely, HerrGlock or IGF will have the answer. :whistling:

#6 ·
While you say you "dig the idea of getting 100% away from Microsoft stuff" you're clearly not really motivated to do it just yet. Unfortunately, because Linux has almost zero support from hardware/software folks, you have to learn to use Linux alternatives, and that means doing things differently than you did them under Windows.

1. It's Lexmark, it is very unlikely. I still can't find any info at all on that model printer, are you sure the model # is right?

2. Very unlikely. To my knowledge, Wine does not accept USB input yet(I don't keep track of it though, because I don't use it)... It would seem if gameinshaft has his Iphone working via Itunes w/ wine however, this has changed. So it *should* work (but I have my doubts). Again, this isn't a fault of Linux, it's Apple for not releasing their software for Linux. What model/version of Ipod is it? There's some pretty good Linux tools for syncing an Ipod.

3. Turbo Tax Online? Is that a program you buy in the store, or is it a "website" where you e-file? If it's a website, I don't see any reason you couldn't use it.. but I don't use Turbo Tax.

4. I don't know anything about Droids, so you'll have to find out that one on your own. Why not boot your Ubuntu install and plug in your Droid, and start there?

Again, you're faulting Linux for lacking "fundamental stuff", but it's Software/Hardware manufacturers don't support it. Ubuntu isn't lacking at all, you need to learn how to do stuff w/ Linux alternatives, rather than trying to make everything work just like Windows (ie, Itunes). I have no issues at all running Linux w/ any of my stuff, except my Zune(duh). Thankfully, Virtualbox fixed that... but I probably wouldn't suggest running Virtualbox on a Netbook.

IGF

#7 · (Edited)
I just tried it w/ Firefox, it requires Windows for some reason. You get a "check system requirements" page... along w/ links to download current browsers (all mine are current).

Edit: I see the problem, they don't support Beta browsers, I was using a Firefox Beta. I just downloaded/installed Google Chrome 6, and it's working.. I didn't actually go through the whole process of filing my taxes, but it let me log in, and enter info as if I was going to w/o any problems.

IGF

#8 ·
Keep in mind that Linux and Windows are different. Trying to do something the same way in Linux that you do in windows is setting yourself up for failure.

Think of it as Ford vs Chevy. Yes they do basically the same thing, but they do it in different ways and parts are not always compatible with each other.

It isn't necessarily that Ubuntu/Linux are lacking. Its that some users either don't understand or can't accept that Linux and Windows are different, not compatible, and you must be open to doing things differently in them. The same as you would between Windows and OSX.

To answer your questions though:

1. Lexmark doesn't have very good Linux support, so it will likely be hit or miss. There are other companies (such as HP) that have very good support for their printers in Linux.

2. You won't be able to use Itunes. (possibly through wine, but that's another topic). However there are programs/services out there where you can download music, and programs that can manage your Ipod just fine. You will have to use two different programs (as opposed to Itunes doing both) but the end result is the same. You can download mp3s, and get them onto your ipod.

3. Turbo Tax online, and other online services have nothing to do with the operating system. What they care about is the web browser, java, things like that.

4. Ubuntu 10.10 works nicely with my Evo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.