Glock Talk banner

More Ubuntu challenges: help a newb get 12.04 on wife's Dell Inspiron

5K views 51 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim1970 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have been learning about and enjoying Ubuntu on my Toshiba Satellite, with considerable help from the good folks here at GT. My wife has watched my progress, and she has asked me to install Ubuntu on her Dell Inspiron 1501. I installed it from the CD and set it up to dual-boot, as she wants to try before she commits.

No trouble - install went without a hitch, until near the end. Then I received a message about being offline. I tried to connect via wireless connection (do not have a wired option at home) and received message indicating there were no drivers present. I did some googling and researching, and what I understand is that there is a known bug with Broadcom hardware in Dell machines. I found all kinds of text that I could add into a terminal, but I don't even know what a terminal is! I'm an old DOS guy, so I am figuring terminal simply a command prompt. Still, I would like some help before I go any further!

Please help! What's the fix here?

Thanks!

Jim

#52 ·
Hello,

Yes, my track pad is working. At this time, everything is working great.

I was nervous about shutting it down and changing networks - however, I left work and was able to identify and connect to the wireless network at home. So far, everything is going great!

Thanks again for all the help!

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.