close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

More SERPA Fail.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Bushflyr, Nov 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA

2. collim1

collim1 Shower Time!

Mar 14, 2005
    USA
    I know alot of people like them, but I really think its because they are the only holster you can get for most popular guns at academy, dicks, or basspro.

IMO they are garbage. I'll stick to leather with a thumb break.

3. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
    I had to try one and while it's ok for the range I don't consider it for serious use. It doesn't conceal well and it's not safe enough for open carry.

I much prefer an inside (thumb) type release like on the Safariland.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2011
  4. i have one and have never had problems with it but i also see the shortfalls in it and will be replacing it soon. i got one after being issued one in the army.

5. Bingo. almost every store that sells ammo sells these holsters.

6. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Aug 2, 2010
    I had one when I first started doing recovery work and needed a level 2 holster, IMHO, they are made to about the same quality as Uncle Mikes or Fobus. Junk.

Any holster with the release button on the outside of the holster isn't much of a retention holster. The paddle is by far the flimsiest attachment I've seen, and the belt attachment sticks it out into the next zip code making concealment a no go.

7. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Sep 4, 2006
    I saw quite a few of those in use in Iraq. I was always amazed that anyone would trust them, especially in that environment.

8. Jason D

Jason D INFRINGED Silver Member Millennium Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Mivonks, MI
    Just what does one expect with a 30 dollar holster?

9. Goldendog Redux

Goldendog Redux Shut your mouth

Aug 22, 2003
    Nevada
    There are a number of good plastic holsters although everyone is making some microwave oven formed plastic POS now. The blackhawks are for people who don't know any better-and there are a gazillion of those people

10. FatPants

FatPants

Jul 27, 2010
    I expect a lot from my $30 safariland holster much nicer than a SERPA.

11. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

Mar 17, 1999
    Western WA
    Well, considering that I can get one of these for ~$20 I expect something that works, is safe, and won't fall apart if I look at it cross eyed.

[​IMG]

12. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

Sep 4, 2006
    For a concealment polymer holster, the Galco Matrix series aren't bad. I've no doubt that they could probably be broken apart with enough brute force, but they're not weak like a Fobus or the Serpa. The material is a lot more elastic, too, and not nearly as brittle. They're not retention holsters, and not meant to resist a grab, but under clothing, or while out hiking, or any number of uses when preventing a handgun takeaway isn't an issue, they're decent holsters, especially for the price.

13. fla2760

fla2760

Aug 12, 2006
    FL
    I use the Galco Matrix for my G22 or G27 when I am at home. When out a leather IWB rig works best for me.

14. fuzzy03cls

fuzzy03cls

Jan 28, 2010
    Florida
    It works well for OC at the range. I have 2. 1 1911, 1 Beretta M9. I have used the M9 for a IDPA shoot once & it worked fine.
    But I can see how it would fail. No way I'd carry it in real life.

15. hamster

hamster NRA Life Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I tried one and just wasn't happy with how far off the body it pushed the weapon. Fine for range use or around the house, but not for concealment.

16. cloudbuster

cloudbuster

Mar 17, 2005
    What do you all think of the Bianchi Carrylok? Completely different approach. Well-made leather holsters. Not cheap junk.

I believe it's only classified as level 1 retention, though. I think of it as an alternative to a holster that relies on friction alone, not as an alternative to a thumb break holster.

17. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Staff Member Lifetime Member

May 4, 2003
    Excellent holster. I've worn one for several years, and been in fights on the street and in the mat room with it. It held securely, and the release doesn't depend on the trigger finger.

18. ChrisFB

ChrisFB

Apr 22, 2010
    I've seen a number of posts from exactly that theater where a Serpa failure nearly cost someone his life. First person stories as well as someone replicating the issue dependably. That's more than enough for me.

I do own a Fobus (+ MTAC etc..) so I'm not a holster snob and I do like and use the Fobus on occasion. I will never own a Serpa due to potential mechanism failure locking the pistol in the holster - no way in hell.

19. rbhale32

rbhale32 NOHLO

Nov 14, 2010
    Valley, AL
    I'm going to have to call BS. That holster broke in THREE places from ONE "quick" tug? Just doesn't make sense to me. I'd like to see a pic of the other side and the inside of that holster, to see where the tool marks are that actually caused that.

I defend these holsters because I carry one on duty and have done so for the past three years without one failure. I've had two Safariland holsters crap out on me in two years, and I'm not bashing Safariland There is no reason to go bashing a holster, any holster, because of a few failures. It's totally a numbers game. If you sell a crap load of holsters, something is going to happen to a few of them, NO MATTER HOW GOOD OR BAD THEY MIGHT BE.

That being said, if you do own one, freaking train with it so you won't be "surprised" that you can't just take it out of the holster like you can with your Fobus (which is also prone to "easy breakage" apparently). It's a RETENTION holster, just like the many many many other retention holsters out there. You have to practice with it to learn it. How many people out there that can take a level three snap holster ("gun vault") and just take it out? Same way with the Serpa. If you don't, then its your fault when you pop off a round into your leg (it would be your fault anyway, but i'm trying to make a point).

Sorry, second rant I've had this week about this topic.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.