close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More Pocket Glock questions :)

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by njl, Aug 24, 2014.

1. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

I've had a 42 for a couple of months now I guess, but most of the shooting I've done has just been load development over a chronograph. I think I've settled on 2.9gr Promo with 100gr Xtreme plated, which gives me about 880fps and seems to operate the slide reliably.

I've got to say though, this is by far the most difficult to shoot Glock I've owned. I think the problem is, there's just so little to hold onto. At least a couple of times, I think my right thumb has hit the slide stop during recoil and locked the slide back. My usual two hand grip puts the strong side thumb parallel and on top of my support hand thumb, both on the frame pointing downrange. The 42 just doesn't seem to have the real estate for that. Do you have to use some alternate grip with the 42 due to its lack of size? I think because of the difficulty I have getting my hands in position on it, I'm having trouble holding it firmly and more shots than I'd like are going way low (6" or more low at 7yds). That's not going to do when the D1's are out at 15-20yds. I haven't even tried practicing Glock-the Plates with it yet. I'm kind of amazed I haven't hit the chronograph with it [yet].

I'm hoping to shoot it in St. Augustine in November, but not sure I will if I'm not confident I can hit the far targets with it.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. LuckyDucky

LuckyDucky
    Expand Collapse

I shot a G42 for the first time at my last match and it is difficult. Every time I shot, it would rock back in my hands because I couldn't get a firm grip on it.

I had my worst time ever with the G42 :faint:

3. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse
    Moderator Millennium Member

Once you get used to curling your pinkie under the mag base your shooting will improve. The trigger is also a litter heavier that what you are accustomed to. The Masters of GSSF have adjusted very well to the G42. You can too.:wavey:

4. Justin1911

Justin1911
    Expand Collapse

Now that some 42s are shipping with mag extensions from factory, these should be gssf legal and help a good bit with the grip. One shooter in Tallahassee had Pearce extensions on his, said he had confirmed it legal with gssf now. I know and believe him 100%

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

5. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

I, too, have to work on my grip and stance with the tiny G42. My three match scores, all terrible, were: 249.69 (borrowed G42) , 390.12 (brand new never fired G42) and 237.80. I just bought 250 rounds of Blazer Brass for $81.00 (employee price at Gander) so now I'll be practicing with it. The pistol itself is extremely accurate.

6. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

GSSF advised me early on that the Pearce bases were not lawful in GSSF. Perhaps GSSF has changed it's mind. The new factory mags with pinkie extensions are lawful in GSSF.

The reason Pearce bases are permitted on G26 and G27 mags is that Glock once offered them back in 1995-1996. Glock has never offered Pearce bases for the G42.

7. njl

njl
    Expand Collapse

Interesting. I haven't seen one of these extended G42 mags yet, but I don't know that they would help me. I've owned subcompact Glocks for 15 years, so I'm no stranger to the pinky curled under the magazine grip. It's figuring out where to put my thumbs that's an issue. I can see now why many pocket pistols don't bother with a slide stop. It kind of just gets in the way.

8. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

Any chance you can get confirmation again on non-use of Pearce extensions. They certainly would have helped me last Saturday? What are these new factory mags with pinky extension that you speak of? Had not heard about or seen them.

9. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

Although Glock has not officially released any of the mags with pinkie extensions, Ed's Public Safety in Atlanta managed to get some.

I understand, from a most reliable source, that Pearce is now acceptable,

#9 DannyR, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  10. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

Great news. I had been practicing with two of my magazines fitted with them and they helped me a lot but didn't use them on Saturday. Will definitely get some more before the next match.

11. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

Can you get them to alter section 40.30 of the "Current GSSF Rules" to include the G42?

12. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

I'm sure the next "rules" addition of the Glock Report will reflect the usage of the G42. The g42 did not exist when the last rules issue was released.

13. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

I'm sure they will. I was hoping more for an amendment to the current on-line version of the rules http://www.gssfonline.com/glockrpt/Current_GSSF_Rules.pdf.
    Perhaps that's hoping for too much.

14. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

Yes. Rules are only published once a year.

15. LuckyDucky

LuckyDucky
    Expand Collapse

I curl my pinky under the G26 just fine. In fact, I got a new overall personal best at my last match with the G26.

The G42 is thinner, shorter, and has a way shorter length of pull.

Sure, with practice, I'd get better.

When I spread my hand out, it is 9" from thumb to pinky. From the top of my middle finger to my wrist is also about 9"

:whistling:

#15 LuckyDucky, Aug 25, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  16. jab

jab
    Expand Collapse

Uh oh !! I guess I really messed up !! I won "pocket Glock" twice and made "master" with NO pinkee
    Extensions .

Can I be regressed to Amateur for not having them on my mags ???

17. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

Shame on you for winning without any pinkie extensions.:rofl:

18. jab

jab
    Expand Collapse

ha ha ha !!! Win?...loose?.... who really cares.......it's all about fun and friendship and good times !!!!!:wavey:

19. ChrisJn

ChrisJn
    Expand Collapse
    "Old Bill"

Not just Ed's Public Safety. Went into my LGS this morning, mentioned what you have said and he replied that he took delivery of 22 of them last week, part #33249 02.

20. DannyR

DannyR
    Expand Collapse

Yes, that is the part number on my two mags.