close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

More good news for Texans. Gov Perry signs...

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by Shinesintx, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinesintx

Shinesintx
    Expand Collapse

More good news for Texans. Governor Perry signs the Hegar sponsored bill that will allow guns in vehicles at the workplace. Does not affect me, but I am happy for my fellow Texans. Employers should not be able to restrict our rights. Maybe he is making a presidential run.

http://www.fortbendnow.com/2011/06/20/52498

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 Shinesintx, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator
    Expand Collapse

While I agree with this law, how about the right of a private business owner to control his property. Your "rights" apply to the government and you, not private businesses. In fact, this law keeps employers, in specific circumstances, from taking adverse employment action against you for having a firearm in your vehicle There are exceptions.

AND, this law does not keep an employer from firing you should you carry outside of your vehicle on his/her property.

Everyone should read the law for specifics.

Also passed were bills allowing the carry of handguns in boats without a CHL and allowing foster parents to have legally possessed ffirearms in vehicles with foster kids.

Some good things for us

3. NMPOPS

NMPOPS
    Expand Collapse

In many states your car is recognized as an extension of your home and your employer should not be able to control what is inside your car, regardless if yyour employer is a public employer or a private company.

It's a good change!

4. swinokur

swinokur
    Expand Collapse

A car is your private property, not your employer's

5. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans
    Expand Collapse
    FYPM

We had a similar law put in place in Indiana a year ago. Not one workplace shooting despite all the handwringing by the liberals. I cannot carry at work and my employer actively fought this law. I feel much better about returning home to an empty house given all the home invasions lately. This is good law and doesn't impact personal property rights.

6. bithabus

bithabus
    Expand Collapse

This is true. But, we have to remember that by prohibiting a person from leaving a weapon in their vehicle the business has effectively disarmed that person for the entire day. I think this bill is a good compromise between maintaining the rights of employers and property owners, and the right of citizens to basic self-defense. Is it a slippery slope? Time will tell I guess.

7. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

If I'm not mistaken your auto is an extension of your home in TX. As long as your firearm doesn't leave your auto, you can consider it something akin to a consulate or embassy. Yeah, it's surrounded by another country but within the confines of the building it's considered the other country's soil and is governed by the other country.

Even within that there's room for things like obscene material that can be viewed by external sources and other items that affect outside the area.

8. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901
    Expand Collapse

Good law. A similar thing passed here in Florida not too long ago.

9. barstoolguru

barstoolguru
    Expand Collapse
    texas proud

it is yet to be seen if this is a good thing or bad. I am all for gun rights but what is a person has a bad day and walks out and gets his gun to "settle the score" or gets fired and goes nuts. giving them faster access to a firearm in the heat of a moment might not be a good thing

Quote: Maybe he is making a presidential run.....

he is going for it, he is smart and just teasing people to get them behind him.

Quote: If I'm not mistaken your auto is an extension of your home in TX. As long as your firearm doesn't leave your auto, you can consider it something akin to a consulate or embassy. Yeah, it's surrounded by another country but within the confines of the building it's considered the other country's soil and is governed by the other country.

texas pc.ss.46.035 the law defines "premises" meaning a building or portion of a building .the term does not include any public or private driveway,street,sidewalk,or walkway,parking lot,parking garage, or other parking area..... anotherwards you can carry up to but not in a build but not threw a doorway to enter a build when posted or otherwise offlimits by law

#9 barstoolguru, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  10. Gunshine

Gunshine
    Expand Collapse

Didn't this gov. introduce income tax to the state. A friend I spoke to indicated he did and was pretty unhappy.

11. J_Rico

J_Rico
    Expand Collapse

Following this argument, no one should carry a firearm. What if that CC guy has a bad day?

Having faster access to a firearm is pretty much the point of gun rights.

Based upon this post I would say you are not all for gun rights.

12. dregotglock

dregotglock
    Expand Collapse
    CHL Instructor

I for one am glad that this has been addressed. Disarming me during rush hour traffic to and from work is not a very comfortable feeling. Thank God I have worked for large financial institutions that were friendly to Texas gun holders.

Texans have to pass state and federal background checks, in addition to taking a mandatory minimum of a 10 hour training course/ with firearm qualification course to be able to obtain a chl permit. It is not as though our permits are just handed out to everyone who applies.

13. stopatrain

stopatrain
    Expand Collapse
    Lifetime Member

Thank you Governor Perry!

14. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

You do realize the more you post this stuff the less people tend to listen to what you're saying, right?

So, as I was saying, in TX your car is considered an extension of your home, effectively.

15. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

Your person is "private property" too. Why can't that same argument be used to prevent the employer from prohibiting CCW?

The fact is you're on THEIR private property, whether in your vehicle or not.

16. HerrGlock

HerrGlock
    Expand Collapse
    Scouts Out
    CLM

Because your person isn't specifically mentioned in the unlawful carrying of weapons statute. Your auto is. This law just reinforces that idea.

17. cowboy1964

cowboy1964
    Expand Collapse

No, Texas still has no state personal income tax.

#17 cowboy1964, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  18. datnvan

datnvan
    Expand Collapse

anyone know if this affects government property? i work at the va hospital and campus police has specifically stated that any weapon is not allowed in your car on property. i come home late and while i only live 1 mile away, i like to stop by a late nite drive thru for dinner but usually go home first and get my ccw. to the guy uncomfortable with employees carrying (in car or on person), do you have a chl and carry daily?

19. barstoolguru

barstoolguru
    Expand Collapse
    texas proud

Hopefully like at home they will give the firearm some kind of locking devise to disable it if it's stolen

20. bithabus

bithabus
    Expand Collapse

Your vehicle is not "an extension of your home". That is an internet myth. It's true that a vehicle you own or control was added to 46.02 but there are many situations when being in your residence gives you rights you do not have in your vehicle.