close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Monster in the making

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by D3S3RT_P3NGU1N, Mar 20, 2012.

1. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    I thought I'd share something I've been watching the development of for about the last 16 months or so. I've mentioned it on here before, but now I think its time it had its own thread

The goal is to have a rifle capable of accurate shooting out to 5000+ meters. Nothing else even comes close to that right now.

Some preliminary numbers for you

The rifle is built around a 14.9mm cartridge designed specifically for this project. There are 2 different projectiles available, 1690gr and 1020gr. The 1690gr should be running 3350-3600 fps and the 1020gr should be 4000+ fps. COAL is 6.5"-7.25" depending on the projectile used. Muzzle energy is 42,000 ft. lbs - 45,000 ft. lbs. Based off current calculations the 1690gr projectile should reach 1000 meters in 0.96 seconds and still be doing 3000 fps with 32,000 ft. lbs of energy. At 5000 meters it should still have 7300 ft. lbs of energy.

And now for some of the pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics and testing videos to come :cool:

2. Whoever nestles that into their shoulder pocket better bring a sling for the ride home!

3. So that is really cool. My question is this, assuming fps degrades over time (which as we know it does), but my very rough calculation it would probably take between 5.5 and 6 seconds for the bullet to reach its target (at least for the heavier bullet). Under what circumstances would this weapon be utilized? Maybe I just don't understand the uses of high powered ballistics but it seems to me that not much stays reliably still for 6 seconds, except for static machinery perhaps. Like I said, very cool, but I just don't know about its usefulness.

:dunno:

Good luck with the project and keep us up to date!

4. SigFTW

SigFTW

Nov 4, 2010
    TX
    Cool cannon?!?!?!

Just to sight it in would cost 1+k :wow::wow::wow: :dunno:

5. 4TS&W

4TS&W 2A RKBA 4EVER

Jul 20, 2002
    here and there...
    Funnel zombies single file for a quarter mile... this will penetrate them all for a one shot stop! :)

Agree about the shoulder... probably want to mount this on something you can tow..

6. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    Most anything such as this that is interesting ballistically or pushes into new territory appeals to me.

Don't think I'll be vying to buy one though.

Don't think it will be at a weight that would make it very portable. Don

7. Zombie Steve

Zombie Steve Decap Pin Killa

May 31, 2007
    Old Colorado City
    Most ballistic coefficient calculators don't let me go that high... Any idea what BC you'd be getting? Just a personal curiosity.

8. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    I see it as an experiment to see what is actually possible. Practical uses for the rifle would include an anti material role. Ultra long range anti personnel shooting would also be possible in certain circumstances. An EOD role for detonating unexploded ordinance is also a possibility. The idea is that you could have a weapon capable of disabling aircraft and vehicles with ease from beyond 3 miles away. While using an artillery or an airstrike would also accomplish this, they are not always immediately available.

I should also clarify this is not my personal rifle, its just a project I've been following and thought was worth sharing.

Ammo cost isn't that bad all things considered, about $13-15 per round. This ammo is of course being custom made at this stage, costs would certainly drop if the rifle ever makes it to the commercial stage.

Recoil should certainly be pretty stiff, but its not too much of a worry with this rifle. Its just a prototype for testing purposes at this point, so size and weight aren't a concern. The barrel alone weighs about 70lbs. It will also be used with either a brake or suppressor. Cutting down the size and weight to make it more portable as well as more development of recoil reduction systems will come down the road.

9. DonD

DonD

Dec 21, 2001
    Central TX
    In any event, very interesting project, good luck with it.

In the old days of uninformed hype where people would falsely claim that a .357 would shoot right through an engine block, THAT gun certainly would with that wicked (assuming) solid bronze slug. Don :supergrin:

10. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    Supposedly 2.18 :wow:

I can't think of many things short of a tank this monster couldn't punch a hole in:supergrin:

11. TSAX

TSAX USAF Vet

Jun 5, 2010
    Your neighbors must be really be keeping their radios on too loud :supergrin:

:50cal:

12. plouffedaddy

plouffedaddy

Apr 1, 2011
    Carolina
    This is fantastic! I can't wait to see more pictures :wavey:

13. ronin.45

ronin.45

Apr 24, 2008
    NE OHIO
    Anything that big should have explosive projectiles!

14. D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

D3S3RT_P3NGU1N

Feb 29, 2008
    Payload projectiles are being planned for later on down the line :cool: