MonkeyWards Store Brand Mossberg

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by 427, Apr 29, 2012.

1. 427

Since it wasn't really tactical, I thought it put it here.

I saw this at a LGS listed as a Westernfield 550 same as Mossberg 500. I'm not sure how old it is but it's pre-1970 as it has only one action arm. It also has no markings of any kind on the receiver. I'm not quite sure when serial numbers were required but I'm figuring it's pre-1968.

The action is really smooth, almost like it's riding on ball bearings. It's really light. I might cut the stock to shorten the LOP, but I'm not sure yet.

For the price of an expensive 91/30, I couldn't resist.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    Milwaukee store owner uses an AR to defend his store/life The Okie Corral Friday at 1:54 AM
    Where do you store your mags and such? Gunsmithing Tuesday at 8:22 PM
    Lady at Grocery Store Couldn't Afford Groceries The Okie Corral Jul 26, 2015
    Favorite store-bought snack, when you were 12 or younger The Okie Corral Jul 26, 2015
    Jewelry store clerk shot robber in head The Okie Corral Jul 25, 2015

3. Dad bought me one of those with a poly-choke in the early 70's as my first duck gun, shot the hell out of it, moved on to a Wingmaster after a couple years but it was a solid gun. Won't find wood like that on them anymore either!

4. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Monkeywards.

5. JaPes

JaPes Rimfire 1010101

6. I've got one like it, but mine is stamped "Sears-Roebuck." Same gun otherwise except for double action bars. I believe I bought it new in 1978. Paid $99.00 for it, with two barrels.

Good, solid, dependable gun.

With a homedone camo job.

[​IMG]

#5 CajunBass, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  7. cowboywannabe

cowboywannabe you savvy?

i have a westernfield poly choke bolt action 20 ga. bought from monkey wards. no seriel number on it.

8. I have one too. Mine is a little later than that I think since it is numbered. great little gun

9. Poohgyrr

Poohgyrr trout fear me!

IIRC it was shotguns and 22rimfire rifles that didn't need serial numbers prior to the 1968 gun control act that stopped all crime.

Oh, yeah, the 1932 gun control act also ended all crime. i forgot, sorry.

:whistling:

10. I bought my very first rifle at Monkey Wards in Paducah, KY; a Browning .22lr model that breaks down between barrel and receiver.

I paid $90 NIB and sold it for the same price. I saw one in the late 1990s at a gun show in California and the dealer was asking $600 or thereabouts.