close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Model 37 Reloading

Discussion in 'The Bull Dawgs Club' started by texasgap, Nov 30, 2012.

1. texasgap

texasgap

Nov 26, 2012
    Hello to fellow GAP shooters. I am new to this web site and this forum.

Background: I bought my lightly used G37 late 2004. I started off with Speer Lawman 200 gr TMJ (I wished they sold this bullet, no. 4471, for reloading), Winchester 230 gr FMJ and Winchester 230 gr jacketed hollow points. No problems with any of these.

I didn't shoot a lot for the next couple of years but begain experimenting with reloads (I've been reloading for 25+ years in other calibers) in 2007. I tried 230 gr hardball with varying charges of Win 231 and had problems only with a 4.0 gr charge (too low). Late 2011 and early 2012 I tried Unique as well as Win 231 with a Sierra 185 gr JHP and a 200 gr Speer JHP. Late this year I decided to get an after market barrel and shoot lead. I got a Bar-Sto stainless and had it fitted.

When I picked the pistol up, reloading was discussed. I was told absolutely to NOT use any of the brass fired in the Glock barrel for reloads in the Bar-Sto barrel because it could cause a blow up.

Can anyone explain why this would be unsafe?

Thanks!

2. SDGlock23

SDGlock23 Glockoholic

You will be just fine using brass fired from your Glock. I'm not sure why this was brought up, but when I had the G38 it didn't bulge brass. As long as your brass looks okay and resized properly you will never have a problem.

3. texasgap

texasgap

Nov 26, 2012
    Thanks for the reply. I have not mic'd any of the Glock barrel brass vs. the Bar-Sto barrel brass. I will give the old brass a careful screening before reloading.

4. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    What else would used brass be shot out of other than a GLOCK? Para and Springfield Armory stopped making guns in 45 GAP years ago. And to reload with only new brass would be expensive.

5. texasgap

texasgap

Nov 26, 2012
    I think you missed the point. I was told not to use any of the brass from rounds shot in my original Glock GAP barrel for reloads in the Bar-Sto GAP barrel.

6. David_Ely

David_Ely GAP'r

Jul 3, 2008
    Okemos, MI
    As long as you have resized the brass, you'll be fine. The GAP brass has a very thick web at the base. Much thicker than the 45 ACP.

7. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

I would imagine that you would feel the difference in your resizing die when reloading brass from the Glocks, IF the bulging was an issue.

8. texasgap

texasgap

Nov 26, 2012
    I will watch for this when I get back to reloading - have an injured thumb.:crying:Thanks for the input.