close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

model 36 no dash -- safe for +p?

Discussion in 'The Snubbie Club' started by SergeantC, Nov 20, 2010.

1. My question is exactly that. Is it safe to fire +P ammo out of a Model 36 no dash, or I should I stick to a standard pressure round such as the new Federal NyClad?

Thanks.

2. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    In a booklet I got with my last S&W revolver it states that they do not recommend +p in the J frame M-36.

The following J frames can handle it, but they warn the use of +p may accelerate the wear on the revolver.

60-4
    60-7
    60-8
    649-2

The only J frame list for +p without reservations is the 640-1.

I have no Idea how old the chart is, so there may be newer models where there is no issue. Again this is straight from S&W.

I have fire +p from a lot of the J frames they say you should not. But not a lot, with no ill effects. But the official word from them is no on the M-36.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2010

3. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    The booklet is dated Rev2/95. I wish I could scan the pages, but we are having problems with our scanner. Maybe someone else has one that is more up to date. It is entittled: Revolvers- Safety, Instruction & Parts Manual.

4. the perfesser

the perfesser

Jun 24, 2007
    I presume you mean xxx-1 J-frames, because my 442-2 is rated for +p.

5. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    The booklet is from 1995. The 442-2 must be newer. The only 442 it lists is a no dash which they do not recommend the use of +p. Did you get the paper work with your gun? I'm curious to see if they listed this data in the more recent manuals.

6. the perfesser

the perfesser

Jun 24, 2007
    The 442-2 is newer and I bought it new. My generic S&W manual says to look for the cartridge designation on the barrel. My barrel says "38 S&W Special +P".

7. pennlineman

pennlineman

Feb 16, 2009
    PA
    Interesting, for such an often asked question you would think that they would publish this information on their web sight. It would save a lot of arguing on the subject. I can't find anything current.

8. MajorD

MajorD

Aug 16, 2010
    at one time smith put out the info any gun with a model number was safe for plus p. to be honest the power you gain in a short barrel with plus p is not worth the extra ammo cost and recoil. But if you wanted to shoot a limited amount of plus p- like one box a year the gun would still last forever.

9. Thanks for the input. I'll probably use either Buffalo Bore standard pressure LSWHPs or NyClads.

10. the perfesser

the perfesser

Jun 24, 2007
    Also give the Hornady Critical Defense standard pressure .38S&W a try. Works for me!