close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

model 29 guide rod protruding ?

Discussion in 'The 10 Ring' started by stevus, Nov 21, 2011.

1. stevus

stevus

Nov 20, 2011
    Newbie here with my first glock (29) . Took it apart and cleaned it . When I put it back together I noticed that the guide rod now protrudes from the slide almost as far as the barrel . Is this normal . I could have sworn it was flush to the slide . probably did something stupid .

2. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    That sounds right, the little nub on the end, that keeps the spring will protrude slightly, you shouldnt see any of the spring or rod though. Just to be positive though, take it apart and make sure the other end of it is sitting in the right slot, it should be in a crescent shaped slot on the front of the barrel lug.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

3. stevus

stevus

Nov 20, 2011
    It seems to be sticking out enough that I can just see the guide rod a bit . I took it apart and put it back together a few times and every time its the same . I did turn the rod and spring a bit when i cleaned it . Is the length of the guide rod/spring assembly adjustable ? maybe i lengthened it by turning it?

4. Taterhead

Taterhead Counting Beans

Dec 13, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Can you remove the slide and post a photo of the slide and spring installed?

5. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    no it isnt adjustable, if it is somehow getting longer then it is a faulty part.

6. _The_Shadow

_The_Shadow Ret. Fireman

Jul 23, 2007
    Southeast, LoUiSiAna
    Did you rack the slide and see if things improve, The rod may not have seated into the proper spot.

7. stevus

stevus

Nov 20, 2011
    Thanks everyone .It does look like the pic and I went to the range today and it shot perfectly

8. NavyMSU

NavyMSU

Oct 26, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Definitely in the crescent slot! First time I took apart my G30, I didn't replace it correctly and when putting it back together I somehow chipped the plastic end of the rod that's exposed near the muzzle.

I bought it used, so it's possible the RSA was worn anyways, so I bought a stock replacement and I'm happy.

9. arushus

arushus Biggest Member

Jul 22, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    We've all been there in some form or fashion, we were all new to guns/glocks at some point in our lives...