close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Missouri Right to Pray Amendment

Discussion in 'Religious Issues' started by Animal Mother, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

Missouri will, on August 2, vote on a proposed Constitutional Amendment to their state constitution. The stated purpose of the amendment is protect the "right to pray". Seems redundant given the First Amendment to the US Constitution, but there are other issues with this bit of silliness. Near the end of the text, we find this bit: " ...that students may express their beliefs about religion in written and oral assignments free from discrimination based on the religious content of their work; that no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs"

Anyone care to lay a wager on how long after enactment the first student will sue because they're asked to do a biology assignment? Perhaps we'll get lucky and the first suit will be over a classroom model of the solar system with the Sun at the middle, if only for the sake of variety.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Guss

Guss
    Expand Collapse

So do they get out of Civics class if they believe in Theocracy?

3. Brucev

Brucev
    Expand Collapse

Opting out... what's the problem?

4. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

No problem at all if they don't mind taking the hit to their grade. But most wouldn't stand for that. They'll want to pass biology while refusing to acknowledge evolution (which is a huge part of biology which is why they teach it) or want to pass any other class where there's some perceived conflict with their religion.

Do I still get to pass math if I firmly believe that 2+2=5 or American history if I refuse to acknowledge that the North won the civil war? We have curriculum for a reason.

5. Woofie

Woofie
    Expand Collapse
    Disirregardless
    CLM
    1. Project Mayhem

Is the bill implying that Missouri public school students are already required to complete assignments of a religious nature?

6. packsaddle

packsaddle
    Expand Collapse

so what.

it's a state issue.

if you don't live there it's none of your business.

if you do live there and don't like it, move away.

pretty easy to understand, for most folks.

7. hogfish

hogfish
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member

I've been thinking about this, and the 'opting out' option might be the right thing to do. Let it not affect their grades or anything. The higher education schools (or other lower level schools, in case of a transfer of credits) can determine whether they're accepted, and their future employment will have to be one that doesn't require whatever they opted out of.

What do you think? :dunno:

8. eracer

eracer
    Expand Collapse
    Where's my EBT?

1. I don't believe the United States Constitution prohibits states from allowing prayer.
    2. If Missouri wants to allow prayer, they need to allow all faiths (even Satanism) to practice their own.

9. steveksux

steveksux
    Expand Collapse
    Massive Member

Great, another proponent of Sharia law.

Randy

10. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse
    Isaiah 53:4-9

Given your disdain for the First Amendment, people have to go to certain lengths to defend freedom against your mindset. So, they have to be clearer about the freedoms you wish to trample upon.

If you were a an out and out liberal, you probably would be in an anti-gun forum despising the Second Amendment as well.

So, why do other people being able to excercise their freedom, excorcise you so much?

11. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

I'm fine with that so long as it goes on their record and colleges know that those individuals think science is a matter of opinion. Might help thin out all these doctors and pharmacists that think their patient's and customer's health care is subject to their opinion.

You want to argue about the curriculum then fine. You can graduate and flip burgers.

12. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

It is no wonder Doc finds you guys to be religious zealots. If I were an agnostic, I would think the same thing.

13. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

How would one go about enforcing such a ridiculous law or even determine when it did or didn't apply? If I wanted to answer every single question on a science exam with, "God did it" or every question on a history exam with, "It was the will of Allah" then should I still pass because I'm exercising my first amendment rights or had I better show that I absorbed the material that was gone over in class?

"...that students may express their beliefs about religion in written and oral assignments free from discrimination based on the religious content of their work; that no student shall be compelled to perform or participate in academic assignments or educational presentations that violate his or her religious beliefs"

I'd really like you to show me an example of how this was ever even a problem.

14. hogfish

hogfish
    Expand Collapse
    Señor Member

It would have to be on record, of course, for the continued education, etc.

15. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

It is so simple. The answer given to me by my Atheist science teacher is as follows. However, as a Theist, I believe in the literal creation by God in 6 actual days.

Not hard at all. Everyone is happy.

16. janice6

janice6
    Expand Collapse
    Platinum Member

More like a reaction to it.

17. Gunhaver

Gunhaver
    Expand Collapse
    the wrong hands

Either you didn't grasp the point of my question or you chose to gloss right over them.

18. Kingarthurhk

Kingarthurhk
    Expand Collapse

You apparently don't like simple solutions that let everyone enjoy their First Amendment freedoms. Sad really.

19. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

Despite some legislators desires, Missouri is still part of the United States.
    And when those illeducated children graduate believing mythology instead of scientific facts, will their damage be contained to Missouri?

#19 Animal Mother, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  20. Animal Mother

Animal Mother
    Expand Collapse
    Not Enough Gun

That would require noting in the student's transcript something along the lines of "Billy got an A in biology, although he refused to do any assignment regarding scientific facts like evolution and cosmology" which would, in itself, probably be considered, "discrimination based on the content of their work" by those advocating the YEC position.

The fear, even more than their effect on the national conversation about the sciences, is that these students would be admitted to colleges based on incorrect grades and would then fail due to being completely unprepared for things like actual science classes.