close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Missouri Republican claims 'legitimate rape' rarely results in pregnancy

Discussion in 'Political Issues' started by Flintlocker, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Flintlocker

Flintlocker

Jul 1, 2011
    http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.co...-legitimate-rape-rarely-results-in-pregnancy/

Where do they find these guys? Oh yeah, I know...

2. Cavalry Doc

Cavalry Doc MAJ (USA Ret.)

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    If a rape victim reports for care, within a day of the rape, pregnancy IS rare.

I'm not too hot on abortion, but have been participating in emergency contraception for cases like this for over 20 years, way before "morning after options" were common knowledge.

So, he's right, sort of, pregnancy in those that report it, is rare.

3. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    what doc said.

you lear a lot dating an ER nurse.

BTW can we find the old story about the Dem in congress that thought Guam might flip over?

ETA: what was I thinking? If we want Dem follies there is always Biden.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  4. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    So nobody has a scientific explanation for his statement that "If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down."

The education system has failed him. I wonder if he has any daughters who can set him straight?

5. countrygun

countrygun

Mar 9, 2012
    I am not going to say with any certainty that the man isn't a fool, but on the other hand, I am not going to say that he is unaware of some things that have been alluded to in this thread and simply doesn't want to open that discussion. It is possible.

6. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Female bodies are capable of some unusual things. How else do you 'splain the stains on a blue dress in the Oval Office? :whistling:

7. It's true, because most rapes actually do not result in pregnancy.

So there.

:tongueout:

8. :puking:

9. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    Well, indirectly, he is correct. She can call 911, and/or get to an emergency room soon after, to have a pretty darn good chance of "shutting that whole thing down".

Other than stating the obvious, I'm not defending the politicians grounds for his position at all. I can only tell you about my own experiences in the field.

10. Snowman92D

Snowman92D

Oct 6, 2001
    Indianapolis
    I'm with ya on that, Chute. I keep thinking where do they find these guys? Oh, yeah, I know...

11. Now you know why McCaskill ran ads supporting Akin in the Republican primary.

I would bet that many Democrats in Kansas City and St. Louis switched and voted Republican just to give the "homely one" a better chance in November.

We still have to hold our nose and vote for him anyway.

12. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
    He now says he misspoke. But he still wants the rape victim to suffer the consequences of pregnancy and birth.

13. QNman

QNman resU deretsigeR Silver Member

Oct 5, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Don't blame me... I voted for Brunner.

And Akin is STILL 20-times better than Claire-bear.

14. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
  15. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Guss
    "He now says he misspoke. But he still wants the rape victim to suffer the consequences of pregnancy and birth"

Well if she's a good LIBERAL GIRL (like Shandra Fluk) she'd already be on birth control right? Or she would have a big supply of the Morning after pill so it (supplied by the Gov,) shouldn't be a problem right?:rofl: You liberals kill me!:rofl::supergrin::rofl:

16. hogship

hogship It's MY Island

Here is a possible explanation of what was meant by "legitimate rape":

Akin might have been referring to a pregnancy where rape didn't actually happen, but it is claimed for the purposes of obtaining a medically induced abortion.

This nonsense about the female body shutting down may have been Akin's way of driving the point that a rape may not have occurred. If so, it only served to confuse the issue for anyone who didn't understand that he was actually referring to a pregnancy that wasn't the result of rape.

I would suspect there is seldom any significant time lapse between actual cases of rape, and seeking medical treatment. I would also suspect that consensual sex that results in pregnancy, but claimed as the result of a rape, may quite often have some amount of time lapse prior to seeking medical treatment.

When seen in this way.........all this makes perfect sense.

ooc

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  17. Guss

Guss

Jul 1, 2010
    Tampa
  18. hogfish

hogfish Señor Member

Aug 4, 2005
    fl
    I just saw him on TV. I think he meant what he said about a woman's body and all. He has the right to object to abortion, but wonder how many people believe the line about the woman's body.

Why are some trying to explain away his statement. :faint:

Good to hear Romney/Ryan's clear response.

19. Cavalry Doc

Feb 22, 2005
    Republic of Texas
    If he has doubled down on that, then he is grossly misinformed. The only problem with rape being the only way to get an abortion, all of a sudden, you have an epidemic of rapes. It's not a large step for a woman concerned about her convenience over the next 18 years, to toss out the baby daddy along with the baby, and claim rape.

Which is one of the reasons I'm not for banning abortions, but I think that the mother & father should both have some input, and the cost paid should not include one dime of public money or subsidy.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  20. barbedwiresmile

barbedwiresmile Unreconstructed

Feb 3, 2008
    Dixie