close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mississippi castle doctrine puts power in victims' hands

Discussion in 'Mississippi Glockers' started by NRA_guy, Nov 5, 2007.

1. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

Pretty good article in today's Clarion-Ledger:

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. trbaldridge

trbaldridge
    Expand Collapse

Here is something for discussion.

When I took the TN Concealed Carry course at Rangemaster in Memphis a while back the instructor mentioned how the laws in TN were such that if they only find out you have a concealed weapon when you use it to stop a felony, you will not be charged with having that weapon.

Since I don't live up there I didn't pay as close attention as I should have, but as I understood it, you don't have to take your pistol out of you pocket when you go into a bank or a bar in TN, you just have to make sure that you don't let anyone find out about it unless you use need to stop a felony. Now, if you go to a bar and get arrested for being in a fight and they find a gun, you still have a gun charge on top of all the others. I believe he even used an example of a cabbie with a felony conviction stopped a guy from robbing him with a gun and he was not brought up on weapons charges and the would be robber went to jail.

Anyone know any more about this law and if it would be a good thing to push in MS?

terry

3. Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo
    Expand Collapse

Thanks Terry. I am not sure exactly what the TN law is, but I have studied it some since I am there so often with my business. I will do some research on that and post it. Sounds like a great addition to the law to me. The same article is supposed to be in USA Today with a couple of additions this week. Chris Joyner thinks it may be tomorrow.

4. NRA_guy

NRA_guy
    Expand Collapse
    Unreconstructed

In Mississippi, I think you would be in trouble for saving your life with an illegal gun. (It would be illegal to carry in a bank, bar, school, etc.)

Note the article I quoted above said, "In one week in late September and early October, four Jackson homeowners fired shots at four alleged burglars. Two of the alleged intruders, 21-year-old Jerrod Peters and 20-year-old Kenneth Stewman, were killed. The homeowners in those shootings have not been identified by police except for 28-year-old Fredrico Hamblin, who because of a prior felony record is the only one to face criminal charges."

They charged the guy because he was not supposed to have a gun---even though he was saving himself with it.

5. trbaldridge

trbaldridge
    Expand Collapse

The fellow teaching the class phrased it as, "and you guys in MS are not to this point yet." So, no we don't have that law. And as far as banks go, that is federal law anyway, isn't it? I doubt a state law would trump a federal law. I very well might have been off by saying that to begin with.

And as Ballyhoo plans to do, I would study up on the laws in TN before testing anything I have said here.

terry

6. NoloContendere

NoloContendere
    Expand Collapse
    OAF Lawyer

Hey Guys,

Banks are not off limits per MS Law, nor per federal law. Banks, for the most part, are private institutions that are just *insured* by the Feds. It's not illegal to carry a gun in one in MS unless it's specifically posted pursuant to MS Statute 45-9-101.

7. NoloContendere

NoloContendere
    Expand Collapse
    OAF Lawyer

In Tennessee, unless the law has been changed in the past year, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol. Period!

In MS, you can carry in an establishment that serves alcohol, as long as you are out of the portion of the establishment where alcohol is primarily served. Per MS 45-9-101.

IANAL... but have studied firearms laws in MS extensively.

8. Lobo

Lobo
    Expand Collapse
    Who farted??

Anyone have a link to the MS Castle Dcotrine?

9. NoloContendere

NoloContendere
    Expand Collapse
    OAF Lawyer

10. Lobo

Lobo
    Expand Collapse
    Who farted??

Thanks.

Chris