close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Misdemeanor Marijuana Possession = No Guns in Ohio

Discussion in 'Gun-Control Issues' started by Donn57, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill

2. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    Well what do you want- to smoke MJ or be able to own firearms? Life is about choices! If getting stoned is more important to you give up your guns! Just like if drinking is more important to you then you don't drive or you get busted for DUI! It is still illegal in most states! Just cause you make it legal doesn't mean it makse it alright to do! Look at Komifornia - they are now searching for a way to charge drivers for being under the influence of MJ an driving as the stoners are killing a bunch of people now since they like to drive stoned! Also don't forget that little form you sign when buying a gun- Asks are you a habitual user! So if you use MJ regularly then you are a Habitual user!:rofl:

3. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana
    In Louisiana you must swear you don’t do drugs, including weed, to qualify for CCW. If you are convicted of drug possession you lose your CCW. Whether weed should be legalized is open to debate. However if one is convicted of DWI they looses their CCW also so at least the law is consistent. If you are arrested you must surrender your CCW pending the outcome.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  4. Angry Fist

Angry Fist The Original® Lifetime Member

Dec 30, 2009
    Hellbilly Hill
    I think you can have up to 2 DUI's in MO before they take your CCW. Makes no sense.

5. PawDog

PawDog NRA Member

Mar 3, 2005
    Big Thicket, Texas
    No one wants to deal with known armed drunks or dopers........

6. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

May 13, 2009
    NW AR
    It's a federal law too, arrested for MJ can't buy guns for a year. Or at least not through a FFL.

7. MedicOni

MedicOni

Nov 19, 2008
    Central NM
    I hope that the state says one DUI and lose firearm rights. Otherwise it's stupid.

8. Brucev

Brucev

Jul 19, 2009
    To put the entire matter in perspective, up conviction of perjury let politicians be stripped of office and barred from ever again serving in elective office or lobbying, etc. anyone or any company doing business with any level of government. Strip them of their right to vote. Strip them of their right to speak in public on any political, social or legislative issue. If a misdemeanor conviction for marijuana or alcohol is sufficient to strip you of your 2nd Amendment Constitutional rights, then why should anyone's Constitutional rights even those of politicians be considered beyond touch?

9. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    Well, the only problem I see with your argument is that a misdemeanor possession charge five years ago is not proof that he currently smokes marijuana. Many folks smoked a little weed in their misspent youth. Doesn't mean they still do.

Your analogy about DUI doesn't really make sense either. Getting a DUI may prevent one from receiving a CCW in some states, but it doesn't make one ineligible to own a gun - that is generally reserved for convicted felons.

And the Form 4473 says nothing about habitual use.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  10. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    Can you cite the source for this? There is no question that indicates such a restriction on the Form 4473.

11. Donn57

Donn57 Just me

Aug 11, 2006
    Sunny Florida
    There is a rather large difference between being denied a CCW or having a CCW revoked and being charged with felony possession of a gun after having gone through the proper steps to obtain one.

12. Jerry

Jerry Staff Member Moderator Millennium Member

Dec 21, 1998
    Louisiana

That I cannot agree with. Which other Constitutional right would one loose? Somewhere along the line people and the government lost the reality that the Constitution EXPRESSLY FORBIDS the government from taking people’s unalienable rights. Should people be punished for their transgressions? Yes! But rights of free men should be off-limits.

I don’t disagree with that. That’s underhanded and should be criminal. But then we are talking about Ohio.

The point of my original post was that one looses the “privilege” if convicted.

One loses the “privilege” if arrested but regains it if acquitted. I understand the reasoning behind such a law but it FLIES in the FACE of INNOCENT until proven guilty

13. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
  14. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

Jun 20, 2002
    glockeglock
    You just go with that when your put in prison I'm sure that will work real well for you! I don't think a judge will except that as an excuse for not following a law! Also making a false statement IE check NO on that form could net you a felony charge if you needed to check YES! If you smoke MJ it has to be a yes answer!:whistling: