close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Minn. motorcyclist clocked at 205 mph!

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by vart, Sep 22, 2004.

1. vart

vart
    Expand Collapse

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6064129/

Man arrested after racing with another bikerThe Associated Press
    Updated: 12:33 p.m. ET Sept. 21, 2004WABASHA, Minn. - A motorcyclist in Minnesota has been arrested for speeding — while allegedly going faster than 200 mph.

The speed limit was 65 mph on U.S. Highway 61 near Wabasha. Police say Samuel Tilley was breaking that limit by 140 mph. They say a state patrol pilot who was flying overhead clocked Tilley doing 205 mph while racing with another motorcyclist.

Pilot Al Loney says the bike was traveling nearly twice as fast as his plane. He radioed ahead to another state trooper, who pulled the two cyclists over.

Only the faster one was arrested.

Tilley is charged with reckless driving and driving without a motorcycle license — in addition to the speeding charge.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Eyespy

Eyespy
    Expand Collapse
    Proud Infidel

Not a chance. The 20 year old was riding an RC51, not a turbo Busa, etc. Still, he was going over 65....

3. vart

vart
    Expand Collapse

How do you know what bike he was riding? Another source?

If the pilot of the plane said he was going twice as fast as the plane, then hew was definately going very fast; planes can't go too slow or they will stall out. Isn't landing speed for the typical Cessna around 70 mph?

Not disputing your claim, just wondering if you had more insight.;)

4. chevrofreak

chevrofreak
    Expand Collapse

As it is right now I dont believe there is a single stock bike (Y2k excluded) that can go that fast. The Hayabusa was at its fastest in 1999 and it couldnt even do 205.

5. Eyespy

Eyespy
    Expand Collapse
    Proud Infidel

There isn't.

6. Bullman

Bullman
    Expand Collapse
    Deranged Deputy

But... I have read of bikes that were modified that would do that speed. Clocking someone and writing them up isn't a trivial matter. I would tend to believe the officer because there really isn't any reason to make up stuff like that.

7. chevrofreak

chevrofreak
    Expand Collapse

It takes a hell of a lot of grunt to push a bike that fast. It would need to be a light bike with a light rider and around 200 horsepower, or a large engine that produces massive torque.

Turbo bikes are very common now, though. Pretty much any turbo 900+ CC bike could probably push 200.

8. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Quick! Duck!

Highway 61 Revisited:
    Copy of ticket here:
    http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0922042speed1.html

At 205 MPH, Speed Thrills
    Minnesota biker cited for driving 140 mph over limit

SEPTEMBER 22--The below Minnesota speeding ticket should be in a museum someplace. That's because motorcyclist Samuel Tilley, 20, was clocked Saturday afternoon going 205 mph on his Honda 1000. That was 140 mph over the limit on U.S. Highway 61. Tilley was clocked at Indy car speeds by a State Patrol pilot flying overhead, stopwatch in hand. The pilot radioed ahead to a state trooper who pulled Tilley over and issued the reckless driving citation. Tilley, the son of a sheriff's deputy, displaces William Faenza at the top of TSG's speediest driver list. Faenza was nabbed last September when Pennsylvania cops clocked him doing 182 mph in his Lamborghini Diablo.

9. HKMark23

HKMark23
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

There is a 3 page post on this over in GNG.
    Lots of "stuff" about how fast bikes go.... ;Q

10. chevrofreak

chevrofreak
    Expand Collapse

Well, Honda 1000 can mean only one of two bikes that I am aware of. SuperHawk 996 (VTR1000F) or the RC51 (RVT1000) and neither of these can come remotely close to 200 miles per hour. (VTR 150, RVT 170)

11. BlackPaladin

BlackPaladin
    Expand Collapse

Chevrofreak the honda cbr 1000rr is what he was riding-I rode with this guy twice in the last 4 months.

for 04 the honda cbr, kawasaki zx10r, yamaha r1, and suzuki gsxr 1000 all have it in them to run over 200+ mph except for a program burnt into 3 or 4 places in the computer system LIMITING sportbikes to 186mph. The Busa and zx 12 ninja are both bikes of the past as the new zx 10r has now around 185 hp FACTORY. I believe that in the road test review of the 10r included something about it being able to do over 100mph in first gear before hitting the rev limiter, and there are 5 more gears to go!
    Im not saying that its smart to go that fast BUT hey I plan on reaching the 200mph+ club befor too long myself, Im just gonna do it with the cops on my side

12. ruglockin?

ruglockin?
    Expand Collapse

Moto Gp bikes can barely do 200 mph. Can you say nitrous.

13. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Fox news article.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133198,00.html

Lists the actual time the Trooper clocked him. It was only over a 1/4 mile stretch.

I had a stock 2000 Hyabusa to an INDICATED 315 KM/HR (196 mph) when I lived in Australia. No speed limits outside of town and it was a Demo bike. My 1997 CBR1100XX with a Stage 1 jet kit, ignition advancer, air filter, and Yoshimura race exhaust would only do 305 indicated, and the Busa seemed like it went way more than 10 KPH faster when we rode them side by side. But the Blackbird would take the Busa off the line.

Gotta love a place with no speed limits and long straight roads. Just mind the roos, lizards and emu's.

Anyhow,

No one said his bike was stock.

How many sport bike riders do you know that do leave their bikes stock? Everyone I've ridden with quickly puts new pipes on at least. New computer chips, jetting, pipes, turbos, nitrous are all relativly easy mods to make these days.

Unless the trooper is lying about his stop watch reading, or the marks on the pavement aren't 1/4 mile apart like they should be, I'd say the guy was actually doing 205 MPH.

Judging by the troopers statement that the bike suddenly pulled away from the bike he was racing that does make me strongly suspect nitrous was involved. I bet the guy hit the button for the juice and just held on for dear life. Not much else you can do at those speeds.

14. Eyespy

Eyespy
    Expand Collapse
    Proud Infidel

A 0.5 sec error in use of the stopwatch equates to about a 50mph calculated error in speed in that range. The bike was not going anywhere near 200mph....more like 160-180.

15. Eyespy

Eyespy
    Expand Collapse
    Proud Infidel

No, he wasn't. It was a 2003 RC51 with a 2 Bros slip-on...

16. Bullwinkle J Moose

Bullwinkle J Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Quick! Duck!

How did you keep up with him? ;f

17. skorpio

skorpio
    Expand Collapse
    Arsenal? Me?

"motoGP bikes can barely do 200mph" cough-bs-cough!

The Duc is pushing upwards of 215, with the RC211V and the M1 fairly close to that. Even the KR3 and that God-awful looking Kawi are 200+ machines.

BTW--as an owner of a RC51 that is modded out the right way (15/41 520, Sato ti, PCII w/ Kyle 11, ect), the v-twin has a hard time seeing over 170mph with a 200+ pound rider. In fact, with the 15/41, I can bump the soft rev limiter with enough road.

18. vafish

vafish
    Expand Collapse

Now that I've found out the bike was an RC-51 I do have my doubts that he was truly going 205.

Do you think as part of his defense they're going to take his bike out to Bonneville and see what it really can do?

19. ClickClickBoom

ClickClickBoom
    Expand Collapse
    Sod Off

RC51s throw down about 120 RWHP on a good day, I don't see it happening. It would take more than a couple 'bolt ons' to pull that off.

20. Alchemy

Alchemy
    Expand Collapse

Nitrous....Hogwash, It was a collaborative covert operation
    between Double Tap & Corbon on the next generation of
    powder propellants!