close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mini 14 Loading Problem

Discussion in 'Ruger Club' started by Linux3, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    I've had my MIni 14 for about 18 months and it's been just great, until last week.
    After the first few rounds out of a mag it would either try to load 2 rounds at once or load a ruound but nothing would happen when I pulled the trigger.

I have tried 2 different 30 round Ruger mags, 2 20 rounders and a couple of 10 round. All do the same.

Whe it chambers a round but doesn't fire I work the bolt, eject a good round (no strikes on the primer) and it will then fire. Reload that round and it fires.

Other times the bolt jams because it trying to feed 2 rounds or 1 get hung up.

As I said, this just started happening all of a sudden.

BTW, I use nothing but factory ammo.

2. Ethereal Killer

Ethereal Killer

Aug 24, 2011
    sounds like it might be short stroking or not cycling properly for some other reason. this could be any or several of the following:

-bad feed lips/mags. some 30 rounders had problems. but factory Ruger brand 20's are almost bombproof.
    -debris in the bolt path. clean, lube, check for damage on all parts that contact the bolt
    -gas system clogged or blocked
    -trigger group could be faulty. once again, clean lube and check for damage and excessive wear and blockages of movement pathways.

thats about everything that can go wrong with a Mini. you should seriously consider sending it in to ruger. they can go thru it and will replace anything that is out of spec. if it's an older model (pre 580-xxxx) you might consider telling them it's not very accurate (if it is bad) and they will go thru and tighten a few things up for you.

I would check on if the work will be covered under warranty and remove any aftermarket parts you want. you may also take the opportunity to ask for a few spare parts to be fitted while it's in.

HTH

3. michael e

michael e

Nov 20, 2010
    Only issues I ever had with my Mini 14 or 30 was from aftermarket mags not feeding right. But seems you have tired several and having same issue. Are they factory mags ?

4. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Yes they are factory mags.

I have cleaned the rifle twice. I thought maybe I put something together wrong that's why the second time but it's right.

5. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

Jan 26, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Describe your ammunition.
    What brand is it?
    Is it choking on more than one brand of factory ammunition?

+1
    I've had a Mini 14 since 1981.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011