close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Military History

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by patton117, May 16, 2005.

1. patton117

patton117
    Expand Collapse

Hello, I am new to Glock Talk and am a history buff. I have read all of Stephen Ambrose's Books (GREAT Author), and am looking for advise on a new Military History author. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. 84S

84S
    Expand Collapse

Take a look at Hampton Sides's "Ghost Soldiers". It's a great read.

3. PaulBk

PaulBk
    Expand Collapse
    Grumpy Grandpa

It depends on what you like. W.E.B. Griffin has a ton of books:

Brotherhood of War series
    The Corps series
    Badge of Honor series (cop)

Each series has between 7-10 novels. His writing is not everyone. Great characters, not much action. His attention to military history and detail is pretty good. I have read them all and enjoyed them tremendously. Give them a try...

-PB

4. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

That's really an open ended question considering how broad the topic of military history is.

My suggestion, as a WWII nut, is to start with some first hand accounts.

If you like Ambrose's Band of Brothers you might like to know that Parachute Infantry : An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich by David Kenyon Webstern was written by one the "Band of Brothres.

Also Don Burgett's 4 book series on his adventures in WWII is a priceless body of work that belongs in our national archives.

Roll Me Over by RAYMOND GANTTER is another fine book. I really enjoyed this one because of the quality of the writing. He served with the 4th ID.

If you survive by George Wilson is a great book as well. These are just a few of the books I've enjoyed in the last few years.

Like I said...when it comes to history you can study just about anything. Just thought I'd follow on your theme regarding WWII.

5. RBR

RBR
    Expand Collapse

John Keegan is a pretty good & prolific author. Read "The Face of Battle : A Study of Agincourt, Waterloo, and the Somme". Very good book comparing/contrasting the human effects,technology,fighting styles,results etc. from different ages of warfare.

Max Hastings is also good too.

6. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

Here's some good books in my collection. These are all first hand accounts.

War in the Boats by Rhue
    Wahoo by RADM O'kaine
    Take her deep by ADM Gaslitan
    War in the Deep by Hoyt
    Batdfish by Lowder/Scott
    Bowfin by Hoyt
    Clear the Bridge by RADM O'kaine
    U 505 by ADM Gallery

Heaven and Hell by Poppel
    Iron Coffins by Werner
    Steel Boats, Iron Hearts, by Goebeler
    Uboat Commander by Kramer
    Soldat by Von Luck
    Forgotten Solider by Segair (contraversial book but very well written)
    Blood Red Snow Koschorrek
    Black Idelwise by Voss

Currahee by Burget
    Seven Roads to Hell by Burget
    Beyond the Rhine by Burget
    The Road to Arnham by Burget
    Parachute Infantry by Webster
    Simple Sounds of Freedom by Taylor
    Fighting with the Screaming Eagles by Bowen
    If you survive by Wilson
    Company Commander by MacDonald
    Baa Ba Black Sheep by Boyington
    A General's Life by Bradley
    Goodbye darkness by Manchester
    Helmet for my Pillow by Leckie
    With the old breed by Sledge
    Roll me Over in the Clover by Gantter

History rules!

7. nerfman

nerfman
    Expand Collapse

WWII:

Duty - Bob Greene
    Another River, Another Town - John Irwin
    Goodbye Darkness - William Manchester
    The Last Enemy - Richard Hillary
    Presumed Dead - Beirne Lay
    Samurai! - Saburo Sakai
    Serenade To The Big Bird - Bert Stiles
    Clear The Bridge - Richard O'Kane

VietNam:

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
    Into The Green - Cherokee Paul McDonald

8. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

Looking at this list reminds me of how much I love books. I can't imagine a life without them. I know some people who never read for pleasure. It's sad.

Very sad. They miss out on learning, laughing, crying, the entire gambit of life. You can find it in books.

Goodbye Darkness has the single funniest three pages in the history of the second world war. The scene where he tries to lose his virginity before shipping off. :)

9. nerfman

nerfman
    Expand Collapse

I couldn't agree more. Mark Twain said that a man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

I average about 3 books a month and at that pace I have 12 years worth of unread books.

10. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

Nerfman,

We had a conversation today at work about the digital age. One of the guys I work with spoke well of his palm communicator.

I asked him...if on a cold night he would like to warm his feet by a nice fire, brandy in hand, and read from an electronic book. He said he would love to...as it was warm...and he could go from page to page repeatedly and electronically. His electronic book could hold hundreds of books.

I think he's lost his humanity. There is a comforting feel to a book in your hands than can never be replaced by electronic means.

At least...not to the bibliophile.

11. DonGlock26

DonGlock26
    Expand Collapse

12. supersixth

supersixth
    Expand Collapse

Second the opinion on Ghost Soldiers - excellent book.

I also recommend Enemy at the Gates by William Craig. A fine book about the battle at Stalingrad. Much better than the movie that came out a few years back.

13. ls

ls
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

I recommend a couple of works by B. H. Liddell Hart. His book "Strategy" is very good as is the edited work "The Rommel Papers". This is a collection of Rommel's letters and diaries.

14. Glock19xdsc

Glock19xdsc
    Expand Collapse

"Memoirs of the Second World War" abridged version or
    "The Second World War" six volume set by Winston S. Churchill.

15. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

Both are great works. BH Liddell Hart was one of the great thinkers of this type of work.

His interviews with the German generals after WWII was compiled into "The German Generals Talk."

Very interesting read.

16. G31Steve

G31Steve
    Expand Collapse
    LiveFreeOrDie

I notice your screen name I wonder if you have read patton's war time journal?Its called "War as I knew it" its a great look into a brilliant mans mind,intersting to here about how well he was treated by the sultans of north Africa.Other then that every think else I can think of has been mentioned.

17. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

G31Steve,

Thank you for noticing my GT name of historian. History is my refuge. I adore it. It is the place I go when I need to get away from the world. Some people drink. Some people exercise. My poison is history books. :

I’ve read Patton’s book and some of his personal papers. The book and it really does shine a light on Patton as a person. We tend to have a glorified view of Patton being invincible and infallible. The perfect solider in every respect. Perhaps that has a lot to do with our desires to see the movie Patton as a real portrait.

Truth was he was nothing like that and his book shows it. I think one of the most interesting passages in that book concerns the Parthenon in Greece. Patton and Omar Bradly were admiring the structure when Patton tried to slip the blade of his pocket knife between the stones. It could not be done. The stones were so perfectly cut that even without adhesive…it held together...it was perfect.

Just goes to show you that he was more than a military man. He was a poet, historian, solider, artist, horse rider, not a bad writer at all, and a damn good skeet shooter. He designed tanks and uniforms for tankers. He was a very well educated and dedicated man. An enigma, wrapped in a riddle, placed in a puzzle (historical reference).

If you liked that book, you might try Carlos D’estes a Genius for War. Great read and what I personally think is the definitive work on Patton’s life.

The quote about Patton that like most comes from Omar Bradly, “Gerogie Patton didn’t die when his jeep turned over. He died when they took his army away from him.”

18. G31Steve

G31Steve
    Expand Collapse
    LiveFreeOrDie

I was actually refering to Patton117 the person who started this post,I have read Genius for War also,I am actually a history major history also being my refuge.I wasnt saying his journal was the best look at him,just very interesting.I know he was much more then the view most people have of him.

;c to another Patton admirer!;?

19. Historian

Historian
    Expand Collapse
    NRA Benefactor
    Lifetime Member

G32Steve,

My bad. Your post followed mine. Being a fellow history major...what are your plans to use your degree and where are you going to school?

20. evlbruce

evlbruce
    Expand Collapse

I highly reccomend David Ball's "Ironfire," it's historical fiction set during the Ottoman invasion of Malta. Ehile not military fiction per-se it takes place during the tranistion period of knights in armor to "pike and shot" the descriptions of the seige are the best I have read from the period.