Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Military dependence on civilians for almost everything

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by flw, Apr 6, 2012.

1. flw

Apr 4, 2012
    I heard on NPR last week that the US Army has gone to the Mormons to see how they store food stuffs. The NPR reporter didn't give specifics on what the Army was looking at in more detail. The Mormons or US civilians or foreign lands-peoples or for the civilian Army or active duty itself.

Most poeple I meet, don't understand or know that without civilians working on behalf of the military, it would cease to bring the hammer any time, any place, after a very short time. I wonder if the Military has any plans to support the civilians it relys on for almost everything except the dying. We should appreciate these military civilians much more.

2. Glock!9

Oct 5, 2001
    South Eastern PA
    I think they could have just watched Preppers....:)

3. acorn42047

Oct 15, 2008
    Your full of ****.
  4. cyrsequipment

cyrsequipment Angry

Aug 8, 2004
    Um, forgive my bluntness, but what the heck are you talking about and what does this have to do with Survival and Preparedness????
  5. oneofthose

May 16, 2007
    "I heard on NPR..." was all the farther I could get. I rarely find valuable insight in their reporting.
  6. kirgi08

kirgi08 Watcher. Silver Member

Jun 4, 2007
    Acme proving grounds.
    You might be suprised.'08.
  7. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    When I started my tour in the middleeast in 04 I was at CENTCOM for the first 3 months. All the food services and security around the perimeter was done by civilians..Yes perimeter security done by civilians.:upeyes:
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  8. Yes we civilians still do perimeter security for the mil. We even do it for DoS and embassies. It has been going on for a long time. Many govt. agencies also contract out mobile security to civilian contractors....FYI
  9. hammerkill

Mar 1, 2012
    In a SHTF scenario the military would be overwhelmed. I remember a truckers strike in the early 70's. No trucks on the road after some nut shot a few. It wouldn't too many guys to throw a monkey wrench into the deal and that's what scares me.
  10. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Yeah, I was in the Army when we relied on civilians for almost nothing and in the new Army with civilians doing everything. The old one was a LOT better.

Maybe if the civilians would learn to cook and clean like soldiers did, instead of getting by with the minimum expense and effort at avery turn, they'd get more appreciation. It's hard to believe how much lower the quality of the services we get from civilian employees is, in most cases, compared to when it used to be all soldiers.
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    Interesting - I've never seen that, even outside the war zone, like in Kyrgyzstan or Kuwait.
  12. sebecman

Jun 13, 2008
    WTF are you talking about here?? As a US citizen I am proud to support the military that protects me and as you say, does the dying.

What exactly do you think they owe us????

13. beatcop

Aug 13, 2003
    New England
    I kind of doubt that the "Army" did anything of the sort. More than likely a few guys, or a company CO thought it would be a cool idea to upgrade the food prep in some dump on a mountain top. The Army has TM's, FM's TB's etc written on everything too include how to take a dump in a cat hole.

As far as base security, yes, civilian contractors handle a lot of it. CSA, Foreign Nationals, etc. Still had MP oversight, but they sat in the towers and manned the ECP's of large bases.
  14. OldArcher

OldArcher Gospel Carrier

May 6, 2010
    There's a reason they're called, "Citizen Soldiers..."

OA, out...
  15. RichardB

RichardB Silver Member

Jul 29, 2007
    The old draftee army was inexpensive and there was an unlimited supply of smart cheap labor that rotated through in 2 years. Come the Volunteer Army with much higher paychecks and all kinds of nice barracks, and expensive family support programs; then the bean counters figured out that many jobs could be done more cheaply by civilians who would work all day at the job and not be diverted by all the military distractions that pulled guys away from their work site. Who needs all that military training to work in a dining hall or office? At one Army installation many years ago the manpower conversion rate was one civilian = two soldiers for garrison support jobs.
  16. i was suprised to see soldiers working the gates again here at some of our gates at fort campbell. as much as i hated standing gate duty when i was a private, i still didnt think a civilian covering the base was a good idea other than just "creating jobs"

and in A-stan, our platoon was in a FOB with a company of Afghan National Guard soldiers. they ran our perimeter security 24-7.
  17. AK_Stick

AK_Stick AAAMAD

Jan 20, 2004
    Alaska, again (for now)
    The Army uses alot of civilians.

The truly important civilians, are mostly all dual status reserve or NG part time dual status civilians.

We do not "depend" on civilians for almost any critical functions.

Sorry to interrupt your dream.
  18. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Yeah I was surprised too. The Army would fill us in with them to oversee operations. It was a 50/50 mix on civilian quality. Some were ex-military and sharpe and a few were just idiots. I think they need a better system of hiring for security positions. I was glad to have them though it frees up soldiers to do other assignments. The food services people were nationals from all over the middle east. Once I flew north to Iraq, civilian security didn't exist.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  19. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Yes they are important. National Guard and Reservist were right along side us being targets as well.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  20. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Jan 16, 2005
    I'm not that old - I'm talking about the 80's, not the "draftee Army." I still haven't figured out how they get by cheaper when every civilian gets paid more than a soldier. Being in the reserves, many of our guys work as Army civilians all week and soldiers on weekends - they get paid a LOT more as civilians. There are guys in my unit with jobs that require a high school diploma getting paid more by the Army as civilians than the state pays me to be a lawyer.

And if 1 civilian - 2 soldiers, I
    'm wondering why our posts are falling apart and our food sucks. If I could change 1 thing, I'd bring back Army cooks.