close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mil-Spec Upgrades

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 3rdgen40, Jan 1, 2010.

1. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    i'd get rid of those in red.

if you get something other than a spur hammer, you will need a new beavertail. SA uses a different beavertail cut (.220" vs .250"). i think S&A are the only ones that have drop-in beavertails with this cut.

getting a new hammer, you might as well buy a trigger kit to your liking, which will clean up the trigger pull

trigger is your choice. i prefer flat triggers over curved trigger now.

Get the Jerry Kuhnhausen manual and it should cover the parts that you want to install.

2. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin

Nov 14, 2005
    That's awesome! I've never seen it though! Money put in for custom work on a bottom tier 1911 in my area, never, never, brings in the same money as the more upper tier do of the same firearm line, Be it Springfield, Kimber, or Colt. Plus the fact if you let's say take a milspec, build it with all the bells and whistles to the Springfield top of the line, you will have more money spent than just buying the top of the line out right. If course like I mentioned, if one were to do the upgrades themselves, there would definitely have the pride of accomplishment in their build, but financially, like you said makes no sense. As does paying a gunsmith do add the bells and whistles. Financially anyway!

3. JK-linux

JK-linux

Mar 5, 2009
    I feel the same way. I thinking of snagging a SA Mil-Spec and simply installing a long trigger, spurred hammer and new sights. The front serrations on everything these days just doesn't do it for me. I am also thinking of doing the work myself, but have never done anything more than drop-in Glock parts before.

I agree that money spent on customizing a pistol is money you will never see in resale. I've spent maybe $7000 on my 2008 Dodge Hemi Charger adding tons of naturally aspirated power. I know full well I'll never see it back at resale and that it may well be a turn off to many buyers. I think the same is true with pistols. Personally, I avoid pistols other folks have had work done on, other than sights, finish or minor stuff. Good luck and keep us posted.

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    So, If I ordered a replacement beavertail for a S/A Loaded it should drop right in ?

5. Quack

Quack Rent this space

Jan 7, 2002
    NE Ohio
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  6. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
  7. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40 .45 fanatic

May 3, 2008
    Arkansas
    Just installled a Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop (thanks faawrenchbndr !) and ordered a Wilson Match Trigger.Next up will be a Wilson RMH (straight/checkered).

8. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  9. When the time comes I am going to send mine to Springfield's custom shop for the work to be done on it.

10. walkin' trails

walkin' trails

Apr 24, 2005
    I'm sort of behind the curve on 1911s having not owned one for a number of years, but starting to get the bug to get another one(s). For a CCW gun, I'd say this: After confirming that the gun shoots reliably in base trim with good hollow point ammo after a suitable break-in period, I'd give attention to the sights, grips, and the hammer/trigger.