close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Mil-Spec Upgrades

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by 3rdgen40, Jan 1, 2010.

1. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40
    Expand Collapse
    .45 fanatic

I am planning some upgrades for my first and only (so far) 1911.Heres my list:
    Ext.Thumb Safety
    Ext. Beavertail
    Ext.Slide Release
    Ext.Mag Release
    Commander (skeleton) Hammer
    Three Hole Match Trigger
    Flat RMH (checkered)
    Carry Bevel
    This will be my primary HD/CCW gun.Any other suggestions ? Anything on my list not a good idea for a defensive 1911 ? Any other internal parts I should upgrade ?

ETA: Are any of these parts "drop in" that I could change myself ?

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
    #1 3rdgen40, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  2. chuckman

chuckman
    Expand Collapse

The internals are fine as is. I would forego the 3-hole match trigger and get a simple trigger but get a good trigger job (unless you plan on competing). I am not a big fan of 'extended' this-and-that as this stuff can get caught on clothes, etc., but if you have small hands or like it, then go for it. I would ship the slide off for new sights. Otherwise I think you are good to go.

3. MBG20

MBG20
    Expand Collapse

extended mag release, if too long, could release the mag while you are CC'n....

4. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40
    Expand Collapse
    .45 fanatic

Think I might scratch the ext. controls.I definately want the beavertail though, to mate with the hammer.I also need a longer trigger.The factory one is a bit short for my reach.I just like the look of the three hole.Is there a better choice for a combat gun ?

#4 3rdgen40, Jan 1, 2010
  5. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

Just curious, with the initial cost of the 1911, and, after getting all the customized parts put on, what will you be looking at having invested into this 1911? I know it's what you want, and, like you, would do the very same upgrades!

6. bac1023

bac1023
    Expand Collapse

Are you sending it to Springfield Custom?

7. zdragon23c

zdragon23c
    Expand Collapse
    s&w&me

recently upgraded my GI with a Wilson commander beavertail(drop-in/minor fitting required).
    [​IMG]
    Colt stubby thumb safety/ colt slide stop/ Colt extractor/ Fusion extended ejector/Fusion full profile FP stop/ commander hammer/ serrated arched aluminum MSH/solid long aluminum trigger/Les Baer bushing/Kimber match barrel

#7 zdragon23c, Jan 1, 2010
  8. drc767

drc767
    Expand Collapse
    Navy CSAR

Very nicely done!!! Did you do the work yourself or send it to a gunsmith?

9. zdragon23c

zdragon23c
    Expand Collapse
    s&w&me

thanks for the kind words...
    mostly DIY...the only exception was the ejection port lowering(out-sourced to a gunsmith buddy).... less than $300 invested in parts excluding tax of course.
    [​IMG]

#9 zdragon23c, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  10. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40
    Expand Collapse
    .45 fanatic

Don't have an exact cost on the upgrades yet.I would estimate around $1000 when all said and done.

Maybe...I am also looking into having it done by a "friend of a friend" who happens to work at Wilson Combat.

That looks sharp....:thumbsup:

11. zdragon23c

zdragon23c
    Expand Collapse
    s&w&me

^thank you very much^

12. BOGE

BOGE
    Expand Collapse
    Millennium Member

FWIW, it´s a waste of time & money to do this as you´d be dollars & ¨sense¨ ahead to just buy a 1911 with the options you want. Sell the gun and buy what you want. :wavey:

13. alwaysshootin

alwaysshootin
    Expand Collapse

Kind of what I was getting at. From your response, you will have 1K into it, and not have a fitted match grade barrel and bushing. With those upgrades, you'd be looking around $1300. $1300 will buy quite a few really nice 1911's. How about it BAC, show him what 1300 will get him in a Kimber, or Springfield. If you have pics?:supergrin:

Now if you are doing the installation, yourself, the learning experience is well worth the investment!:cool: If you are paying someone else, just pay for the upgrades right away.

14. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr
    Expand Collapse
    DirtyThirty fan
    CLM

Something a few of those that are offering advice are missing,.....budget!

A new 1911 shooter may be on a budget. He may want certain options,
    he may not care for any of the pre-packaged models or want to spend $3k

15. chuckman

chuckman
    Expand Collapse

Sure, this makes financial sense. But maybe the OP wants his gun his way, maybe he has a limited budget and can only do so many things at a time. My upgraded and customized Mil-Spec is unique, and I have been offered more money (to sell) than the sum of its parts are worth. As for a 'match-grade' barrel and bushing, that's one of those things that if you like it, hey, that's good, but for carry and 'combat' reliability and accuracy doesn't amount to a hill of beans.

16. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40
    Expand Collapse
    .45 fanatic

I would love to buy a Wilson or Ed Brown already set up the way I want it.Unfortunately, that is not an option for me at the present time.I am on a very,very limited gun budget.I will probably end up doing what I can myself, as far as upgrades.I thought about buying a S/A Loaded, which has most of the features I want in a 1911.However there are other things I don't like about the Loaded,like the front slide serrations as well as the size of the serrations.The Mil-Spec is what I feel a true 1911 should be.It just needs a few things to get it to where I want it to be.Then I will have *my 1911*,the way I want it.
    Thanks for all the input and advice.

17. 3rdgen40

3rdgen40
    Expand Collapse
    .45 fanatic

Well, I detail stripped my frame today.Watched a good "how to" video as I did it.Pretty simple,just more parts than my Glocks.Just got it back together.Seems to function fine.Will have to take it to the range to find out for sure.
    I found a drop in beavertail,so I think I can do most of what I want done myself and save about $400 in labor.Plus I get to enjoy doing it myself...:cool:

18. JustShoot-IT

JustShoot-IT
    Expand Collapse
    GrudgingGlocker

Good job. My Wilson "drop in" was anything but, had to have a gunsmith fit it.

"Seems to function fine", the same gunsmith told me about shop test firing: make sure it is unloaded, cock it, drop a pencil (eraser first) down the barrel, with the gun pointing up (and head back!) pull the trigger - if everything is as it should be the pencil flies/fires out a ways.

Enjoy it, love my 1927 Sistema - chambers an empty cardridge!

19. JustShoot-IT

JustShoot-IT
    Expand Collapse
    GrudgingGlocker

zdragon23c, agreed great work. Side question, who made your clip holder? I've been looking for something like that, small and easily concealed.

20. zdragon23c

zdragon23c
    Expand Collapse
    s&w&me

Carl Collins
    http://www.ccholsters.com/products.php