close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mil-Spec Finally Finished!

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by nathanours, Sep 13, 2011.

1. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Hey all, if you've read my other threads, you will have seen that I opted to buy a Springfield Mil-spec and just have a smith do the customizations I wanted rather than get a RO or Loaded. I hunted around a while and found a NM serial number gun, which I guess means that most of the fitting is done stateside.

Anyway, it came back from the smith today completing the build how I want it with the following mods:

Ed Brown barstock Hardcore Hammer
    Ed Brown Extended Thumb Safety
    Lightweight extended trigger
    Smith and Alexander BTGS
    Smith and Alexander Mainspring Housing

It also got a trigger job that breaks at exactly 4 pounds and the extractor filed down to fit flush with the back of the slide.

Here are the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am getting it out to the range tomorrow, so I'll add to this and let you guys know how it goes. So far this is my favorite pistol, with over 500 flawless rounds through it. It's been more reliable than my G19.

2. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    WOW really hard to believe that was a Mil-Spec model looks really good. The work you had done did it end up costing you more then a Range Officer would have cost? I think thought personally that looks better then the range officer. Only thing I change are the sights but that personal thing you know.

3. denn1911

denn1911

Oct 14, 2010
    New England
    It looks great! And the fact that it runs flawlessly is icing on the cake.

4. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Ya, I spent 625 on the gun, roughly 200 on the parts, and I think 375 on the labor. But everything is exactly how I want it, it is completely de-burred internally, and it shoots tiny little groups while being 100% reliable with all ammo I feed it. Here is a pic before the last work done (before BTGS, new hammer, and new thumb safety) of the last paper target it shot at the range.

[​IMG]

Looks quite a bit different, and the trigger has improved even further. And ya, I'll probably swap the sights at some point too.

5. steve1911

steve1911

Jul 12, 2004
    oregon
    Good looking springer, well done.

1911club#410

6. .45Super-Man

.45Super-Man

May 4, 2007
    Smallville
    I'm still of the opinion that the mil-spec is the best all around choice for a base model. I have two and they've never failed to impress.

7. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr DirtyThirty fan CLM

Nov 24, 2005
    Troy
  8. limbkiller

limbkiller

Mar 25, 2011
    ky
    Beautiful gun. Just needs a flat trigger and novack style sights. Still gorgeuos.

9. HotRoderX

HotRoderX Gen4 BETATester

Jan 15, 2011
    I stick a set of Novak sights on there are Heinie sights. I gotta admit the more I look at it the more I agree I think it looks better then the range officer :dunno:

10. Magus

Magus Deo Vindice

Jan 24, 2009
    Looks good my friend.

Makes me regret getting rid of the ones I had...always wanted to do more to them like you have.

11. nathanours

nathanours Texan

Thanks guys. I got out yesterday evening and it shoots like a dream. :cool:

12. nastytrigger

nastytrigger Mediocre Member

Apr 10, 2005
    Indiana
    Very cool! I like what you've done to an already great pistol. Made it even better!

I don't shoot my Springfield Loaded enough. I've been reloading and shooting my 9mm Glock's more playing with different loadings. As soon as I get my 230gr .45 bullets I ordered, I'll start working on loads for my 1911 and G21.

13. nathanours

nathanours Texan

This is the reason for the BTGS and the new hammer to fit it.

[​IMG]

14. okie

okie GT Mayor

Oct 28, 2001
    Muskogee Ok.
  15. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin JMB & MTK

May 13, 2008
    Exactly the reason I can't keep a G.I. in a G.I. configuration. :cool: Nice Mil-Spec BTW! Makes me miss mine. :crying:

16. ratf51

ratf51

Aug 6, 2010
    NW GA
    Hard chrome? :supergrin:

Re: another post/thread we (me and the OP) have both been in-- those sights are more visible than the GI style. I debated going with the same style to get a set that these old (well, they ain't young anymore) eyes could see.

Good looking pistol, I hope that it's a good shooter for you!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011