Mil Dot and math

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by whiskey rebel1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Zak can you recommend any formulas that would help while using Mil Dot? Thanks!

Wanna kill these ads? We can help!
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads Forum Date
    What A Cool Math Teacher The Lighter Side Jun 11, 2015
    In Which We Hate Mathematics Uncategorized Oct 13, 2008
    *NF* Shootings' aftermaths and lessons Uncategorized Jan 26, 2009
    *NF* Shootings' aftermaths and lessons Uncategorized Jan 26, 2009
    Math question ... The Okie Corral May 21, 2015

3. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

1 mil is 1 transverse unit in every 1000 distance unit.

1 mil = 1 foot at 1000 feet
    1 mil = 1 yard at 100 0yards
    1 mil = 1m at 1000m
    1 mil = 1cm at 100m

4. After watching a history channel show about snipers. One in Iraq was measuring objects from a distance for later reference. How does this help with bullet drop? Thanks!

5. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner
    Millennium Member

Because then when you're in a hurry later you don't have to range something right next to it.

6. I see, so how does a shooter apply the Mil Dot to bullet drop?

#5 whiskey rebel1, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014
  7. Thanks! Will read up on this. Mil Dot has always confused me.

8. First of all , use of a First Focal Plane (FFP) scope is important. Because the Mil-Dots stay the same regardless of magnification. You can use a Second Focal Plane (SFP) , but you need to know the exact magnification setting where the two coincide . Leupold could not give me an accurate setting This is a know fact that many people don't understand ,You need to lay down some money for a good quality scope. It will improve you marksmanship 10 fold . You don't put a $300.00 scope on a $1000.00 rifle ! I would rather have a $1000.00 scope on a $300.00 rifle ! I guarantee I would be getting better hits !
    Next is the good ole MIL- DOT master slide rule ! The thing works so good it s laughable ! It is a simple easy to under stand slide rule . No need for batteries . No weather limitations ! No need for a laser range finder . All this goodness for $ 29.00 on amazon !
    Now all you need to know is a good knowledge in sizing objects ! Like the torso of a deer is roughly 24'' inches ,a stop sign is 36'' inches , a fence post is 4 feet Mil it out , work your magic on a mildot master and bingo , got an accurate estimated range to target .Its that easy my friend !

9. Buy a scope with the Horus H59 reticle . And never dial your scope in again