close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Mil Dot and math

Discussion in 'GATE Long-Range Shooting' started by whiskey rebel1, Mar 24, 2012.

1. whiskey rebel1

whiskey rebel1

Aug 28, 2009
    Pa
    Zak can you recommend any formulas that would help while using Mil Dot? Thanks!

2. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    1 mil is 1 transverse unit in every 1000 distance unit.

1 mil = 1 foot at 1000 feet
    1 mil = 1 yard at 100 0yards
    1 mil = 1m at 1000m
    1 mil = 1cm at 100m

3. whiskey rebel1

whiskey rebel1

Aug 28, 2009
    Pa
    After watching a history channel show about snipers. One in Iraq was measuring objects from a distance for later reference. How does this help with bullet drop? Thanks!

4. Zak Smith

Zak Smith 3Gunner Millennium Member

Aug 25, 1999
    Fort Collins, CO, USA
    Because then when you're in a hurry later you don't have to range something right next to it.

5. whiskey rebel1

whiskey rebel1

Aug 28, 2009
    Pa
    I see, so how does a shooter apply the Mil Dot to bullet drop?

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  6. whiskey rebel1

whiskey rebel1

Aug 28, 2009
    Pa
    Thanks! Will read up on this. Mil Dot has always confused me.

7. Radonkulus

Radonkulus

Aug 5, 2015
    First of all , use of a First Focal Plane (FFP) scope is important. Because the Mil-Dots stay the same regardless of magnification. You can use a Second Focal Plane (SFP) , but you need to know the exact magnification setting where the two coincide . Leupold could not give me an accurate setting This is a know fact that many people don't understand ,You need to lay down some money for a good quality scope. It will improve you marksmanship 10 fold . You don't put a $300.00 scope on a $1000.00 rifle ! I would rather have a $1000.00 scope on a $300.00 rifle ! I guarantee I would be getting better hits !
    Next is the good ole MIL- DOT master slide rule ! The thing works so good it s laughable ! It is a simple easy to under stand slide rule . No need for batteries . No weather limitations ! No need for a laser range finder . All this goodness for $ 29.00 on amazon !
    Now all you need to know is a good knowledge in sizing objects ! Like the torso of a deer is roughly 24'' inches ,a stop sign is 36'' inches , a fence post is 4 feet Mil it out , work your magic on a mildot master and bingo , got an accurate estimated range to target .Its that easy my friend !

8. Radonkulus

Radonkulus

Aug 5, 2015
    Buy a scope with the Horus H59 reticle . And never dial your scope in again