Glock Talk banner

Mike's Memorial Ask a Trainer Thread

81K views 585 replies 74 participants last post by  BigKid 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just wanted to start a thread about dog training to see if I could help with any GT members families.
My resume is this: I started out working with Palm Beach County K-9 program as a volunteer about 1994. My job was obedience training, protection training and tracking training. All of these dogs were top quality and already started in these disciplines and was very easy to get them to learn new things. I worked with them for about 6 months and moved into full-time in-home dog training one-on-one with the family. This is the best situation for learning how to train a dog bar none!!!! I worked for someone else for 3 years and then started out on my own. Having well over 3,000 dogs trained I have a solution for any problem anybory can came up with. If this thread gets popular maybe we can ask a mod to sticky it. I will cover anything from housebreaking to behavior problems to obedience to choosing the right pup. Basically if you want to know how to change something about your dog ask. I dont know all the answers but I will find out if anybody stumps me.;) So fire away with your questions. I am here to help.
;c

#127 ·
Mike,

My wife and I recently purchased a 6 week old Male Walker Hound, this is my first time crate training a pup but my wife has done it before. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind:

We've learned the signals that he gives for "I need to go potty" and we have him on a schedule. But the pup "Rifler" is very playfull with my other 5 yr. old Male Walker "Buckshot". Buckshot hasn't been around alot of other people or dogs, he was a rescue and beaten severly. He's also very protective of Rifler, my wife and my daughter Lexi who is going to be 1 on Monday. Thus far Buckshot and Rifler play well with minimal fighting, but when they play Buck will knock Rifler down and pin him in a submissive position, and he will also place his mouth around Rifler's neck while holding him down, he does not apply any force but when he lets Rifler up he will bite Buckshot's neck which starts the process all over.

So my questions are:

1) Will this end or is Buckshot proclaiming his dominance? We also have been doing the dominance training with both of them: Hold them down till they are still then let them up and lots of praise. Also we leave the crate open and when Rifler gets sick of playing he will go into his crate and lay down.

2) Rifler had a broken toe that his breeder's vet said would heal on it's own, they took xrays and prescribed some medication for pain/discomfort. My wife accidentally stepped on his paw last night and he refused to walk on it for about 10 minutes, but then started running and playing as usual both yesterday and today. Will this be something to look for when he is older? Is arthritis/hip dysplacia a common problem in Walker hounds?

Both of them in true Walker hound fashion are very playfull and loving dogs, easy to train as well. Also they are very intelligent and know how to open and close doors, also they are very lazy and sleep a good 12-14 hours a day similar to a newborn. He's getting his first set of shots tomorrow and getting microchipped.

Thanks,

Jason

#128 ·
Jason,

Just some quick answers off the top of my head.

1) yes, this will end but in dog language they are playing, if Rifler keeps coming back for more, it is play. However, if and when Buck has enough, he might draw a little blood from the younger dog. Again no biggie. Try to let them settle it on their own, if you have established yourself as Alpha they should lessen this a bit more as time goes on. Make sure you are treating Buck as the Alpha, (feed first, let outside first, etc).

2)So he gets the Academy Award for best actor at your expense. ;f
Unfortunately, All working breeds are susceptible to arthritis and Hip and shoulder problems. Feed the best food that you can afford and try to minimize jumping as much as possible. But in the end, we know they will be dogs;f

Good Luck and Congrats on your new Pup!

#129 ·
I've decided to get my dog from a local shelter or rescue when I get one. I don't think I'd have the time to get into the schutzhund sport (As much as I'd love to. I love watching the dogs work.;f), so I think It'd be best to get a shepherd or mutt from the pound. Any tips on what to look for? I mean, I know a pound hound ain't gonna be comlpletely well adjusted, because there's really no telling what all it's been through, but do you have any tips for anything real important to look for at the shelter? I mean is there any particular behavior that I should let steer me away from a certain pup? I really appreciate you starting this thread.

;g

;8 ;I

#130 ·
Good Choice Walter!!!!
It makes me so happy when people adopt rather buy dogs!!
I can't really come up with any one thing except the obvious, (if the dog is growling, barking at you and tries to take a bite.;L ).
Just interact with a couple and see if any of them talk to you.
Most shelters have a small area to walk dogs and socialize them, and are happy as can be to let you walk a dog. Take a couple out and see what you like, dislike. Close your mouth and open your ears. Seriously, don't say a word to the dog and see how they react. A lot of dog language is non-verbal, so be an observer.
Good luck finding a new friend and when you do get one, I want a pic!
Mike

#134 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
Good Choice Walter!!!!
It makes me so happy when people adopt rather buy dogs!!
I can't really come up with any one thing except the obvious, (if the dog is growling, barking at you and tries to take a bite.;L ).
Just interact with a couple and see if any of them talk to you.
Most shelters have a small area to walk dogs and socialize them, and are happy as can be to let you walk a dog. Take a couple out and see what you like, dislike. Close your mouth and open your ears. Seriously, don't say a word to the dog and see how they react. A lot of dog language is non-verbal, so be an observer.
Good luck finding a new friend and when you do get one, I want a pic!
Mike
Mike, do you think you could elaborate on this a little more? What kinds of body language do I need to avoid? I need all the advice I can get on this. I'm new to it. What will be required of me by the shelter?

;g

;8 ;I

#135 ·
I also have another question. I have friends who live around the corner from me, who I also go to church with. They have a Siberian Husky who absolutely loves me. Due to the facts that, one, I grew up with him, and two, I feed him a lot of the times they go out of town. BUT, He HATES black people. Years ago, there were a couple of little black boys (I knew these two kids, and they were always getting into some kind of trouble.) who used to pester him, I guess, who Roy once caught throwing rocks at him. Another old friend of mine in CO had a dog who didn't like tall people, men, or people wearing hats, ESPECIALLY cowboy hats. Nikki was beaten by a tall man with a cowboy hat when she was a puppy. My question is, if I end up with a dog from the pound who happens to have this type problem, is it fixable? And How? I assume it will take a good amount of time to fix, Am I right?

;g

;8 ;I

#136 ·
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
Mike, do you think you could elaborate on this a little more? What kinds of body language do I need to avoid? I need all the advice I can get on this. I'm new to it. What will be required of me by the shelter?;g ;8 ;I

Walter, just go to your local shelter and tell them your situation and that you would like to get to know a couple of dogs in the hopes of adopting one. They will tell you their requirements as each shelter and rescue are different. Some may want to come see where the dog will be staying. There are some many varibles here I couldnt possibly cover all of them. ;g

Just be yourself, try different posture and vocal tones and see how the dogs react.

#137 ·
My question is, if I end up with a dog from the pound who happens to have this type problem, is it fixable? And How? I assume it will take a good amount of time to fix, Am I right?

Any problem can be overcome. Any problem. It is always the owner that needs fixing, not the dog. Dogs live by rules such as always and never. Example, if owner say to the dog sit and the dog sits without hesitation, the dog earns a treat. So the dog knows the sound of the word sit and equates that to food. You will get the same effect each time you say it, as long as nothing changes.

I could go on for days here so I'm trying to keep this short.
The problems you mention above are easy to fix and would take a trainer less than a week or 2 depending on how long the behavior has been engrained in the dogs head. They are problems with socialization and not with the dog but the owners.

#141 ·
Well, I'm going to start working Schutzhund training with Boscoe on Saturday. Do you have any starting advice for a complete newbie?
Congrats Walter!!
Open your ears and close your mouth. Think safety before all else, (just like firearms) and lastly have a super awesome time watching your dog work! If you can, get somebody to video it for you. You will watch it over and over as your dog progresses.

Good Luck bud!
Mike

#142 ·
Thanks. The dog's farther along than I am, as he's competed in a few trials (flunked the last two.), and been trained in ScH probably all of his 3 years. They tell me he passed the tracking though. The video thing, me and dad were talking about just an hour ago. He's wanting to get a digital video cam just for this reason. For the benefit of all the members of the club.

;g

;8 ;I

#143 ·
Ok, I've been having Bosco sleep in his kennel at night, because if I let him sleep in my room, or anywhere else, he'll try to get in the bed with me. I like the idea of him being free to roam the house at night, but I have a twin size bed, and Me + Twin bed + 80 pounds of German Shepherd don't work in any way, shape, or form, obviously. How can I train him to sleep in my room, but not on my bed? That's one of the problems with 80 lbs dogs. That, and they can reach all the counters, bars, and tabletops in the house (that one I've been handling fine, BTW.).

;g

;8 ;I

#145 ·
Mike I know a couple kids who are each wanting to get a dog soon. Three of them. Two brothers and their sister. They asked me about getting multiple dogs, and I told them one of the things that my dad told me; That It's not usually a good Idea to keep two males together. (They each want something different. One wants a female husky, one wants a male husky, and one wants a male German shepherd.) One of the first things I told them is ask their mom and dad's advice and see what they think about it. Then the little gril asked me "What about two females and a male?" Well, I told her I could ask some people that probably knew. I doubt it will work out like that for them, but just so I can tell them, How territorial are females together usually? And Since two of them want huskies, how good would one be as the first dog for a kid?

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

#146 ·
Mike I know a couple kids who are each wanting to get a dog soon. Three of them. Two brothers and their sister. They asked me about getting multiple dogs, and I told them one of the things that my dad told me; That It's not usually a good Idea to keep two males together. (They each want something different. One wants a female husky, one wants a male husky, and one wants a male German shepherd.) One of the first things I told them is ask their mom and dad's advice and see what they think about it. Then the little gril asked me "What about two females and a male?" Well, I told her I could ask some people that probably knew. I doubt it will work out like that for them, but just so I can tell them, How territorial are females together usually? And Since two of them want huskies, how good would one be as the first dog for a kid?

Hey Walter:
I really wouldn't recommend a Husky for anybody living in Tx or Florida for that matter. It's just too dang hot for them and they are not happy dogs.

As far as the male female thing, if they are brought up together then any mix and match can and will work. However if one dog is older than the others, that is when problems can pop up.
HTH

#147 ·
G20Man,

We adopted a miniature Schnauzer from the Animal Rescue Shelter about 8 months ago (she's a little over 2 now) and while she is a great dog, she has a annoying habit of constantly "mouthing" your hands when you pet her. It's not a bite, rather she just gnaws on everyone all the time. Is there anything we can do to stop her from doing this? Thanks for the help.

John

#148 ·
Originally posted by Anthem
G20Man,

We adopted a miniature Schnauzer from the Animal Rescue Shelter about 8 months ago (she's a little over 2 now) and while she is a great dog, she has a annoying habit of constantly "mouthing" your hands when you pet her. It's not a bite, rather she just gnaws on everyone all the time. Is there anything we can do to stop her from doing this? Thanks for the help.

John
Sure thing John
Sounds like play biting to me which is normal for an untrained Schnauzer.
When she is mouthing you she is telling you SHE wants control and to be the Alpha dog.
There are several ways to alleviate this problem.

1st and foremost
Go get some professional obedience help with either a cheaper group class or private instruction.
2nd is learn how to become the Alpha, (thru training).

We can fix this problem thru fear or respect, I choose the respect way. Obedience training will get you started.

If you go too heavy with a correction here she will become defensive and not enough of a correction and she will gain dominance and lose respect for you.

Bitter Lime or Apple will work temporarily until you get some better help.
bitter apple link

Sorry it took so long to get with you.
If you need more help let me know

#149 ·
Thanks for the advice. I believe you have nailed the problem. It's off to school for Missy.

I also have an 8 yr old male Schnauzer (Max) who has no such issues. We adopted him when he was about 2 yrs old and it was obvious that he was abused and never socialed properly. He is a sweet dog and despite his upbringing, has progressed nicely. Missy has also really helped him come out of his shell. Would you recommend enrolling him a class with Missy or would it be best to leave him alone? Thanks again.

John

#150 ·
Originally posted by Anthem
Thanks for the advice. I believe you have nailed the problem. It's off to school for Missy.

I also have an 8 yr old male Schnauzer (Max) who has no such issues. We adopted him when he was about 2 yrs old and it was obvious that he was abused and never socialed properly. He is a sweet dog and despite his upbringing, has progressed nicely. Missy has also really helped him come out of his shell. Would you recommend enrolling him a class with Missy or would it be best to leave him alone? Thanks again.

John
Do both at the same time, since the training is more for you then the dog...:supergrin:

Good luck and let me know how it goes

#151 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
......the training is more for you then the dog...
Sounds like my schutzhund training so far..... Had a good day today, BTW. Now If I can just find a way to remember where my article and my turns are on the tracking...... Any Ideas? I'm terrible at using landmarks for that kinda stuff. I'm trying. (Guess who wants to play ball while I'm typing....:supergrin: ) We're coming along real well with the obedience. But I need more practice on the motions and corrections and stuff (Only thing I can do for that is practice and work and more work, obviously....). But everybody says I've been getting better. Protection, we're doing fine, too. My dog's got a particularly high prey drive. Our training director/helper got bit on his stick hand today. He was taunting the dog (another member's dog; not Bosco.) by hiding the sleve behind his leg, probably to build her drive up a little, so she LATCHES ON HIS STICK Hand and sinks her canines ALL THE WAY DOWN. I got the pic to proove it (that's right! The cam went off right as she got sunk in good.)! (No, sorry, I don't think I should post the pic.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.