Glock Talk banner

Mike's Memorial Ask a Trainer Thread

81K views 585 replies 74 participants last post by  BigKid 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just wanted to start a thread about dog training to see if I could help with any GT members families.
My resume is this: I started out working with Palm Beach County K-9 program as a volunteer about 1994. My job was obedience training, protection training and tracking training. All of these dogs were top quality and already started in these disciplines and was very easy to get them to learn new things. I worked with them for about 6 months and moved into full-time in-home dog training one-on-one with the family. This is the best situation for learning how to train a dog bar none!!!! I worked for someone else for 3 years and then started out on my own. Having well over 3,000 dogs trained I have a solution for any problem anybory can came up with. If this thread gets popular maybe we can ask a mod to sticky it. I will cover anything from housebreaking to behavior problems to obedience to choosing the right pup. Basically if you want to know how to change something about your dog ask. I dont know all the answers but I will find out if anybody stumps me.;) So fire away with your questions. I am here to help.
;c

#103 ·
WOW!!! I am seeing a LOT of advice I can use on my pups. Jack is doing pretty good on the sit and stay commands. I did not even think about using "release" when I am ready for him to get up. Lacy seems totally oblivious to everything when I try to work with her. She keeps getting up and running away.

I do need to figure out a way that will work to keep them from jumping on people. My neighbor comes over and they both jump on her....I am going to start making them sleep in the crate at night to get them off our bed. They seem to have taken over....;Q

My other problem is with my Other dog on how to get her to accept the puppies more and stop attacking them. She is still trying to show her dominance but I am afraid they are going to get hurt.

Also, how do you know when the dogs are ready to train offleash?? Jack listens pretty well but I am still afraid to try offleash with other dogs.

Here are pics of my babies:

Also, I think you answered this question before, but should I limit the amount of food they are fed every day??? I originally just had the food down in a bowl but between the 3 dogs, they are going through a LOT of food. I have been limiting there feedings. I don't leave food down anymore. Am I wrong to do that???;Q

BTW, Jack is the the one with the green collar and Lacy has the red one. Jack is the bigger one also...

#104 ·
Ok I will try and answer as many of your questions as I can, but I still think you need a professional's help with this.
Lacy seems totally oblivious to everything when I try to work with her. She keeps getting up and running away
All training must be done on leash (even in the house) especially for housebreaking!!

My neighbor comes over and they both jump on her....
Give her a water pistol filled with half white vinegar and half water, when the dogs jump, tell her to shoot'em between the eyes while you are saying NO!

My other problem is with my Other dog on how to get her to accept the puppies more and stop attacking them
YOU must become the Alpha pack leader and establish yourself then you can establish the rest of the order.

Also, how do you know when the dogs are ready to train offleash??
LOL, none of your dogs are ready for off leash. Worry about that down the road, but to answer your question, when the dogs listen to your commands on leash every single time you give them one and the first time you give it. DO NOT GIVE A COMMAND MORE THAN ONCE!! THIS IS VITAL!! btw, this also means when the dogs dont want to foollow commands such as down stay in the middle of pet smart (for 20 or so minutes) with other dogs walking by and sniffing at them.

I have been limiting there feedings.
Good start!!, The Alpha says when to eat, how much to eat and when feeding is over, if you left the bowl out that is a buffet so in the dogs head they must be the Alpha because you left the coice up to them.

One last thing,
leave a leash on the older dog in the house when they can interact with each other. Don't worry the pups might get a few scrapes here and there but if it gets bad you have the leash to pull the older one off of them. BTW Cockers bite more people every year than any other breed so don't take the snapping lightly.
They can be nasty little dogs!!
Good luck Queenie, and if need more or clarification let me know.

#105 ·
G20Man, First, thanks for all the great info!!

As I mentioned in the humane society thread, I've finally decided that once my holiday/work traveling is finished in January/February, I'm going to get a German Shorthaired puppy. Between now and then, I'd like to get a jumpstart on training myself to train my new friend. I've had dogs before, but my parents were of the mind that dogs were "outside" animals, so I have no experience with house/crate training that will be required. Could you reccommend any books/methods to get me started? Any suggestions for crate types, leashes/collars/etc. that I can get ahead of time?

Please understand that I'm in a pretty rural area of TX, so the nearest location for formal obedience training is not really an option. I'll be able to handle socialization, as the neighbors have 3 GSP's, and there are numerous other dogs around to expose my pup to.

Thanks for sharing your expertise!
Dave

#106 ·
Hey Dave #wav
To keep this short I'm going to post a link for you.
Uncle Matty
Read everthing you can from this guy, he is awesome and has written plenty of books.

As far as leashes and collars, just go with a normal buckle type collar till at least 4-6months old. Get a a nylon 6ft leash of lightweight and some of this Bitter Apple spray and shoot me a pm when the little guy starts mouthing his leash...;f
That ought to get you going in the right direction.
Let me know when you bring him home and I can get a little more specific for ya.
Good Luck!!!

p.s. Just get a crate, doesn't really matter what its made of, new or used. Plastic will last forever but metal is cheaper.

#108 ·
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
I PMed you earlier because I forgot about your "Ask a Trainer Thread." Do you have any advice on Socialization training for me? Also do you know anything about attack training?
;g
;8 ;I
No sweat, bro
Socialization is simply exposing your pup to everything you can think of and then some and making them all either positive or neutral experiences. The critical time for this is between 8-14 weeks. This period in a dogs life is called the crical age of socialization, (oddly enough). ;f

Attack training is not a commmonly accepted term first off, and will get most doors slammed in your face. It's like one of the Anti's calling our evil black rifles assualt rifles. Protection training is what you want to inquire about. I would suggest seeking out a member Ten-decca(or some variation of that) here. He is a professional decoy and much more familiar with GSD's and protection work. It's been a long time since I have worn a bite suit.

Read the book "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by The Monks of New Skeet to get you started and it will answer most of your questions.

#110 ·
I appreciate it. I didn't know how long it'd been since you did any bite work, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. If I decide I want to do any protection training, likely I'll have my Uncle Wayne help with that, as he recently started a Schutzhund club pretty close to here, and trains GSD's for that. (Put schIII on his black male twice ths year. His Wife put schIII on her female once this year, too. They're gonna breed them when the female goes into heat. {Yes, they're all German bloodlines. I don't think he'll ever even own anything else.} I'm gonna try to find out what he'll sell me one of the pups for.) My dad also used to train (Worked for my uncle.). He was the decoy. (Said it turned out to be a good way to pick up girls, too.;f) I got another question. I PMed Deuce and asked him about this, but he never answered me, because I think they've been keeping him busy at work, last I heard. If I am able to keep my dog inside during the day, I'd like it to be able to get outside to the back yard if it needs to. For the breeds I like (once they get full grown, that is.) this would seem to require a doggie door that some PEOPLE could get through. Even with a schutzhund trained dog, I don't like that thought one bit. Is there any way to get around this?

;g

;8 ;I

#111 ·
If I am able to keep my dog inside during the day, I'd like it to be able to get outside to the back yard if it needs to. For the breeds I like (once they get full grown, that is.) this would seem to require a doggie door that some PEOPLE could get through. Even with a schutzhund trained dog, I don't like that thought one bit. Is there any way to get around this?
Yes, Especially a Schutzund dog I would absolutely NEVER let that dog out while I wasn't home. If its alone and outside, it becomes a liablity and could even be hazardous to the dogs health.
Keep him/her safe until you around to watch their backs. That's also part of being a good Alpha.;)

#114 ·
Just thought I'd ask. I didn't think they made something like that. Maybe you and me need to invent it. I'll bet we could make a KILLING!;f What's your opinion on leaving dogs (NON- Schutzhund trained. I know your opinion on protection trained dogs.) outside when you're not home? Personally, with a puppy, I wouldn't like the idea too much, as I don't know whether or not kids in the neighborhood will pester it or not.

;g

;8 ;I

#115 ·
Just thought I'd ask. I didn't think they made something like that. Maybe you and me need to invent it. I'll bet we could make a KILLING!;f What's your opinion on leaving dogs (NON- Schutzhund trained. I know your opinion on protection trained dogs.) outside when you're not home? Personally, with a puppy, I wouldn't like the idea too much, as I don't know whether or not kids in the neighborhood will pester it or not. ;g;8 ;I
There is no way I would allow my dog access to the outside unless I was close by. Too big of a chance of accidental poisoning, trama etc.

Learn to crate train your dog so it learns to hold it until you let him/her outside.

#117 ·
I don't know if you saw in the Dobe thread, but there was a question that somebody asked. Everyone has heard about the condition all the "Dangerous" or "Vicious" breeds of dog such as pit bulls supposedly experience in old age. It's the one in which basically the animal's brain continues growing when the skull has stopped, causing much increased agression. Is this an actual condition that occurs or a myth?

;g

;8 ;I

#119 ·
Yeah I know it's been around a long time. I remember hearing about it when I was a kid. I saw a beautiful GSD puppy today. He was mostly black with tan on his feet and legs, and minimal tan on his neck and face. I was jealous of the boy that was running around with him. But I'm working on getting my own.

;g

;8 ;I

#120 ·
Here's one I haven't seen yet:

We adopted a black lab mix (don't know what he's mixed with, he looks like a labrador. We suspect demon). He's about a year now.

He's actually a really sweet dog, but we're having a problem walking him.

He won't heel, and constantly tries to charge off in whatever direction he finds interesting. He's about 60 lb, not a huge dog, but he can pull my girlfriend right off her feet, and he's uncomfortable for me to walk.

How can I get him to heel, and walk calmly? I'd love to take him for walks, but right now it's a nonstarter. He can run and play in our yard, but I'd like to take him out in the neighborhood.

Also, I know you don't like choke collars, but I'm afraid he's going to either pull right out of his buckle collar or just plain snap it. This would be bad, because he runs like a gazelle and we can't catch him. It's a pretty heavy duty nylon, but the way he strains it's like he's part Clydesdale.

#121 ·
BigJim,
Where did you get I don't like chokers? If used properly they don't choke, and can give a very quick light correction when needed.
I love'em!

Ok, first off you have to define your walks, if they are for the dog, he/she is going to pull you in the direction they want to go sniff, pee etc. Give them their time for doing so first always.
The man that trained me told me "let them be a dog for awhile".

Anyway, this method works for all pullers btw,
Then formally start the heel command with the dog on your left side, not leaning on you or his paw touching your foot in the sitting position, Give the command to "HEEL" without yelling and sounding scary but more like you are teaching a 3yo how to read and immediately push off with your left foot first. (Yes there is a reason for this later). Now when you step off the dog is going to dart ahead of you, what you need to do is immediately and with the same tone say "NO, HEEL" and make a 180 degree turn to your right, and continue walking until he catches up with your left leg and passes your leg, then again repeat the 180 turn to you right. What this should look like is you basically walking in a circle for about 10-15mins and after that the dog will not pass your leg. ;f

Day 2 do the same training except this time on the correction "NO,(pause) Heel", on the NO part give a quick flick of your wrist when the leash is fully extended and this should give the dog a quick light snap of the collar.

You really don't need to be harsh with this, just walk the circle for a few days and the dog will have it.

Btw, this is my $$$$ maker, the LONGEST this has ever taken ME was 25minutes. After, the dog learns to heel, start to carry a super good treat in your right hand for the dog to sniff along as you walk.
Also and this is crucial, YOU MUST PRAISE THE DOG WHEN HE/SHE IS HEELING NEXT TO YOU!!! Not physical praise, just talk to him in a soft soothing voice, telling him good boy, good heel!!!!

Now, for the finale, when you stop tell him to sit, and make him sit if he doesn't do it immediately. Work this for a couple of days and about the third day or so just stop and look at him, if he sits praise the heck out of him (verbal only). Then step off with your right foot and let him be a dog.

Anybody has questions let me know, like I said I have taught this to every dog I have ever come across and shouldnt take more than a day or so of practice.
Let me know how it goes,
Mike

ps:
The key to a working choker collar for me at least is to get links that are absolutely as small as possible for your dogs neck size.
DO NOT GET A GROCERY STORE ONE, it will pop the first time. Go to a pet store that sells decent ones.

#122 ·
So Buddy (who you helped months back when he was 11 weeks old) is now a big 80lb golden retreiver. He was fine up until a few weeks to a month ago when he decided he is going to start jumping at you to try to get you to play or whatever.

You walk into the room and he runs up and will keep jumping at you. When you try to stop him he'll just flop over on his back and lay on your feet or he will keep jumping when you push him away/off. I'm not sure what to do to stop this behavior.

I did see your post on pulling/heel which he does so I am going to be starting to try to train on that. I use a easy walk harness ( http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74 ) which works great for walks as he can't really pull without spinning around. But having the heel work right would be great. I'm guessing these 2 problems can be addressed together in some way or with differing techniques. Any help would be great!

#123 ·
Originally posted by MikeG22
So Buddy (who you helped months back when he was 11 weeks old) is now a big 80lb golden retreiver. He was fine up until a few weeks to a month ago when he decided he is going to start jumping at you to try to get you to play or whatever.

You walk into the room and he runs up and will keep jumping at you. When you try to stop him he'll just flop over on his back and lay on your feet or he will keep jumping when you push him away/off. I'm not sure what to do to stop this behavior.

I did see your post on pulling/heel which he does so I am going to be starting to try to train on that. I use a easy walk harness ( http://www.premier.com/pages.cfm?id=74 ) which works great for walks as he can't really pull without spinning around. But having the heel work right would be great. I'm guessing these 2 problems can be addressed together in some way or with differing techniques. Any help would be great!
Mike is he a skittish dog? If not I got something for ya. ;f

#124 ·
Oh and by the way, I hate that Gentle leader thing. I have seen many trainers use it with great success but I'm not one of them.
Get him a metal choker with small links (small as possible).

A) we can teach him to play dead, with this behavior or

B) we can stop it.

I personally I would teach him to play dead....
Let me know

#125 ·
Not skittish at all. Just a big oafy dog who wants to be up where you are to play. It's when you try to then grab him he'll flop down. Just need to stop the jumping, he's doing it when people come over and it's not ok. It's one thing if you know the dog but if it's a strange (to you) dog it's worse. Luckily he's a cute golden so people don't care as much but it just needs to stop.

#126 ·
Originally posted by MikeG22
Not skittish at all. Just a big oafy dog who wants to be up where you are to play. It's when you try to then grab him he'll flop down. Just need to stop the jumping, he's doing it when people come over and it's not ok. It's one thing if you know the dog but if it's a strange (to you) dog it's worse. Luckily he's a cute golden so people don't care as much but it just needs to stop.
Ok, we can do that. First though, when you say he flops on his back, that is the extreme submissive position, which tells me you have tried to stop this problem before and he didn't understand. Is someone giving him positive reinforcement for jumping up? If they are, it must stop now. If it is someone that you can't control, put him on the leash, for example. Someone comes to the door, before opening the door, put the leash on him, when he tries to jump correct him and tell him "NO"!, Nothing else, just NO, and countinue about your business.
If its just you or the wife or kids, bring your knee up into his chest as he is coming up and tell him NO again then walk away immediately as if you have other important things to attend to.

He will soon learn that jumping only brings negative attention and for a very short span.
Try it for a week or so and let me know how it goes.
If you need more help, I still got an ace hidden.;z
Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.