Glock Talk banner

Mike's Memorial Ask a Trainer Thread

81K views 585 replies 74 participants last post by  BigKid 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just wanted to start a thread about dog training to see if I could help with any GT members families.
My resume is this: I started out working with Palm Beach County K-9 program as a volunteer about 1994. My job was obedience training, protection training and tracking training. All of these dogs were top quality and already started in these disciplines and was very easy to get them to learn new things. I worked with them for about 6 months and moved into full-time in-home dog training one-on-one with the family. This is the best situation for learning how to train a dog bar none!!!! I worked for someone else for 3 years and then started out on my own. Having well over 3,000 dogs trained I have a solution for any problem anybory can came up with. If this thread gets popular maybe we can ask a mod to sticky it. I will cover anything from housebreaking to behavior problems to obedience to choosing the right pup. Basically if you want to know how to change something about your dog ask. I dont know all the answers but I will find out if anybody stumps me.;) So fire away with your questions. I am here to help.
;c

#77 ·
I recently got a Pug puppy who is now 8 weeks old. For the first week or so he seemed to really understand that he is to potty outside. He would ask to go out. In the past week he has began peeing on both my bed and various items around the house including clothing. Any advice on how to make him stop!?!?!?!?

#78 ·
Originally posted by Nickotym
Apparently she is a cross breed as she does bark. As I said we don't know her complete breeding, as she was a rescue.

As to the not coming inside, we will have to agree to disagree, but the biggest factor is we have a 6 mo old human baby who we don't want eating doghair from the floor.

Thanks anyway.
Nickotym,
Ok so she barks not a big deal there, maybe because she is scared and away from her pack? Its really hard to diagnose the underlying problem when the bigger problem is she is on her own.
If you bathe her twice a month with quality shampoo and vacum, sweep, what ever, every other day, any dog hair your baby ingests will not harm it, unless your baby has a medical condition that you do not wish to share (which is completely understandable). If that is the case please find your dog a home where it can be with a pack or possibly even add a second dog to the outside pack.
What I am trying to tell you Nick, is that your dog is miserable and that can be corrected with minimal effort on your part and actually once the routine is down it will make your life much much easier.
Please think about it, if you need me to pm you my phone number so I can speak to you and your wife directly I would be happy to do so.

Also found a link for you that talks about allergies and how owning a pet early in a childs life can actually reduce chances of asthma.
Click Here
Good luck
Mike

#79 ·
Originally posted by Girlfriend
I recently got a Pug puppy who is now 8 weeks old. For the first week or so he seemed to really understand that he is to potty outside. He would ask to go out. In the past week he has began peeing on both my bed and various items around the house including clothing. Any advice on how to make him stop!?!?!?!?
Girlfriend,
Sounds like its time for crate training?? I'm guessing he is sleeping with you and peeing before you wake up? Go get him a properly sized crate and let him sleep in there with NO BEDDING OF ANY KIND!! Peeing on your stuff is over from there. It may sound cruel at first but it's honestly the best thing you can do for a dog, any dog.

Let me know how it goes. ;)

#80 ·
Sorry guy, where I come from pets are pets and people are family. I see we have a very differing philosophy and I am sure your solutions would not jive with any ideas I have about the care of animals so I am done with this thread. No bad feelings, just don't think you can help me.

#81 ·
Nickotyme,
G20man is right and he is an expert. He really helped me and my wife with our GSD. If your thoughts on dogs is the way you express then maybe finding a home with a better set up is best for your dog. Only you can decide that and hopefully you will do the right thing.

Good Luck
Dennis P.

#82 ·
Nickotym,

What do you want him to say? He told you what the issue was and was more than willing to help you find a way to fix the problem. I hold Mike's opinion in high regard and happen to agree with him that animals shouldn't be backyard fixtures. They are pack animals and need to feel included in your pack, kinda hard to do alone in the backyard. I also understand your concers about you new child. You child is more important than a dog, but the dog's well being needs to be considered along with that of the childs.

#83 ·
Well this could be long and drawn out so please bear with me. I've been training for over 20 years but never had this problem before. I feel I have an idea but I need to pick ya'lls brains. Let's begin with a background of, I have 3 dogs (2)11yr. old mini schnauzers-spayed & neutered, and a 10 month old intact male doberman. Before anyone suggests neutering the dobe it can't happen at this time as he is being shown in the breed ring.
OK to the problem it would be the baby dobe. He is having a peeing problem as in let's smell the females butt and then pee on the floor or sneak in the living room and pee on the table and the ultimate stand and pee on my sons leg as we all were watching.
Now my son is 21yrs. old and probably disciplines the dobe more than anyone. Not to say that I don't as I'm the one who feeds and trains him. My male schnauzer was intact and used for breeding for 7 years and never had this problem but I'm now worried that he and the dobe might start a peeing contest. I most certianly don't want this.
OK here is what I'm thinking maybe the dobe is now like a teenager so he is checking out the waters as in trying to be alpha or when peeing on my son a sign of disrespect or a combo of both. When he peed on my son he knew he did wrong as he took off and my son caught him put the leash on him and took him straight outside and then put him into his crate for a well deserved time out so to speak.
I was thinking of a male belly band but I know that is not the answer it would be just a quick fix and only while wearing it(if he even would-I could see him tearing it off). I hope that this is just an adolescent phase but let me know if I'm on the right track and what suggestions might help.
Deuce your landshark isn't much older did he try anything like this and is he neutered? Everyone thinks that neutering is the answer for everything and I will admit it would help but not at this time. He comes from a line that has beauty as well as brains and I'm trying out all the avenues at this time.
Thanks for reading all of this and for any input.

#85 ·
Originally posted by GAdobemom
Well this could be long and drawn out so please bear with me. I've been training for over 20 years but never had this problem before. I feel I have an idea but I need to pick ya'lls brains. Let's begin with a background of, I have 3 dogs (2)11yr. old mini schnauzers-spayed & neutered, and a 10 month old intact male doberman. Before anyone suggests neutering the dobe it can't happen at this time as he is being shown in the breed ring.
OK to the problem it would be the baby dobe. He is having a peeing problem as in let's smell the females butt and then pee on the floor or sneak in the living room and pee on the table and the ultimate stand and pee on my sons leg as we all were watching.
Now my son is 21yrs. old and probably disciplines the dobe more than anyone. Not to say that I don't as I'm the one who feeds and trains him. My male schnauzer was intact and used for breeding for 7 years and never had this problem but I'm now worried that he and the dobe might start a peeing contest. I most certianly don't want this.
OK here is what I'm thinking maybe the dobe is now like a teenager so he is checking out the waters as in trying to be alpha or when peeing on my son a sign of disrespect or a combo of both. When he peed on my son he knew he did wrong as he took off and my son caught him put the leash on him and took him straight outside and then put him into his crate for a well deserved time out so to speak.
I was thinking of a male belly band but I know that is not the answer it would be just a quick fix and only while wearing it(if he even would-I could see him tearing it off). I hope that this is just an adolescent phase but let me know if I'm on the right track and what suggestions might help.
Deuce your landshark isn't much older did he try anything like this and is he neutered? Everyone thinks that neutering is the answer for everything and I will admit it would help but not at this time. He comes from a line that has beauty as well as brains and I'm trying out all the avenues at this time.
Thanks for reading all of this and for any input.
GAdobemom,
Certainly sounds like an Alpha wanna-be testing the waters. Here is what I would do if I were you. Put a leash and metal choker (super thin show type links) high up on his neck and tie the other end to my belt loop. Walk him tirelessly around the females in the house, the moment he even thinks about lifting his leg or squatting correct him with a ballistic sized NO!!!! then a good 10minute down stay exactly in that spot. You know from previous training timing is everything. If he pees once and gets away with it he will do it over and over but corrected three to four times in a timely fashion (you know what I mean, like right freakin now, the world stops!!). This teenage behavior is over. Also time-outs dont really work for dogs, they dont get seperated from the pack for any reason other than complete banishment. The best timeout you can give your dog is a 30 minute down stay, after it has learned its commands like clockwork.

Good luck with your teenager and whatever you do, dont give him the keys to the car!!!;f ;f ;f
If you need more help or something is fuzzy please let me know and I will go farther into detail. I try not to ramble...;g

#86 ·
I agree btw about nuetering, everybody thinks that is the answer but I personally own an 11yo pitt mix intact that has never humped and only did what your describing once in someone else's house. He did a 90minute downstay after that one and has never done it since.
He came into this world intact and unless there is a problem thats the way he will leave it. ;f ;)

#87 ·
Great ideas and thanks for the input. G20man you right about timing, I'm also impressed with the 90min. down stay, hope you were comfortable for the duration. I do the 30 min. down stays about every other day. Of course he usually just falls asleep after about 15min. but I then wake him up after 30 and give him his release word. Will try that with leash and collar and see how it goes. At the time he peed on my son the only thing within reach was a cotton lead. I grabed that and by the way I scared my husband to death with my yell of BAD DOG right when he did it. They say you have to growl deep like Mama dog and that yell came from down at my toes I think! That is one of the hardest things to teach a person is TONE when training a dog. People also ask me "How come "Spot" will listen and do for you and not for me" I tell them "Spot" knows I mean business and that I know what I'm doing. Well thanks again for everything.

#88 ·
No sweat, glad to help out.

Also don't get so worried about tones cause posture means a ton more. Do you use "NO" in your OB routines, if so get that "BAD DOG" outta there. Keep it simple and watch him learn I tell them.

"Spot listens to me because, I am confident he will follow, and treat him fairly". He has rules with me and they are my rules and they are constant. If he follows the rules he gets treats. If not he gets the down stay while other dogs eat his treats!! ;z ;z
My standard answer for that question.

A lot of people just assume it's a size,(I'm 6'4) or tone issue and it really is just confidence.
You can do it!!
Let me know how it works out and Good Luck.

Mike

#91 ·
Originally posted by Stephanie T.
G20,
I was wondering if you could tell me a healthy way to "beef up" my boxer, muscle wise. She is already a healthy size, I would just like it if she was a little bigger. Thanks in advance
Sure, couple of questions first, though. How old is she? What do you feed her? How much exercise is she gettting now?

ps
Welcome to the board, lots of great people on here!!

#93 ·
Ok first off get her on some good food! I like Nutro Max High energy for your situation or if finances allow it Solid Gold Dog food . Its a little pricey but you will see much improvement in her coat and lack of shedding and increased muscle tone.

If possible get her on a tread mill or swimming if she is agreeable to that and let her just go till she is too pooped to pop.
The biggest improvement will be the food. Kibbles and bits is about equivelent to Burger King, yes it will keep her alive but lots of fat and waste products in it.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can help you further...

#100 ·
GEHASST, Stephanie T.,

She looks pretty fit to me. Like I said before though the kibbles and bits has to go. That stuff is garbage food.

If you can afford it go with the Solid Gold and next best is Nutro Max which is about the same price as kibbles and bits because you are going to feed her less.

BTW when you do switch foods do it very gradually like over 2 weeks or more so she won't get the runs.

Hope this helps guys, and let me know how things go

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.