Glock Talk banner

Mike's Memorial Ask a Trainer Thread

81K views 585 replies 74 participants last post by  BigKid 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just wanted to start a thread about dog training to see if I could help with any GT members families.
My resume is this: I started out working with Palm Beach County K-9 program as a volunteer about 1994. My job was obedience training, protection training and tracking training. All of these dogs were top quality and already started in these disciplines and was very easy to get them to learn new things. I worked with them for about 6 months and moved into full-time in-home dog training one-on-one with the family. This is the best situation for learning how to train a dog bar none!!!! I worked for someone else for 3 years and then started out on my own. Having well over 3,000 dogs trained I have a solution for any problem anybory can came up with. If this thread gets popular maybe we can ask a mod to sticky it. I will cover anything from housebreaking to behavior problems to obedience to choosing the right pup. Basically if you want to know how to change something about your dog ask. I dont know all the answers but I will find out if anybody stumps me.;) So fire away with your questions. I am here to help.
;c

#354 ·
Originally posted by ReAX222
He has come a long way. When we play tug, I let him win alot, I give him different commands and he resonds instantly. The nursing has been curved heavily and he seems pretty self assured. I have him barking when people are outside, and he thinks he's pretty bad at times. Although, he clearly understands this is my home.

Any susgestions I can work on to make him more secure in his role? Or for making him more protective?
Do you want a guard dog or a family pet?

If you're EXTREMELY serious about your commitment to your dog seek out a Schutzhund club in your area and talk to them. They will give you an idea if you and your dog are right for that kind of training. Just remember, Schutzhund is a lifetime commitment for you and your dog. It is only for the most dedicated owners. If they feel that you or your dog aren't fit for it, don't take it the wrong way either. I may just mean that you may have a bit more work to do. If that is the case, they should also be able to recommend some trainers in your area to see first. After that then you can pursue Schutzhund training.

Also, I would ditch the games of tug and all "rough housing" in general. It is doing more to send your dog mixes messages about who is the pack leader then you might think. Making your dog feel "in control" does nothing to help their confidence. Mostly it will frustrate your dog because one minute has has the power and then you try to take power away from him. This becomes a constant struggle and will lead to more and more behavior issues. The best way to ensure that you dog has good "self-esteem" is to take the role of calm/assertive pack leader 24/7. Your dog will feel more at ease when they know they can count on you to lead.

#357 ·
Originally posted by supra98
ok question, i started recently buying my dog some bones, the ones that you can chew on for days, BIG ones... anyways i caugt him trying to bury it, he will chew on it for a day or so, thne try to bury it, any reason why, is it bad habit??...
It's not a "bad habit" necessarily . He's basically going back to his "wolf roots". In the wild when a wolf will get a kill it's not uncommon for them to hide what they can't finish. They do this to make sure that any other animals won't get to their food. It's really up to you if this is a bad habit or not. If it is, the easiest ways to deal with it are A. buy smaller bones that he can chew in one sitting or B. only let him chew on the bone inside. Their may be a few more options but I gotta run! take care!

#359 ·
ok blinky i appreciate your time, well i just dont want them to go to waste, so he will eat them eventualy??
yeah, he should.

#361 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
Sup
If you have a question for Blinky, do us a favor and pm it to him.
I'm just trying to keep this thread on track cause there is lots of good info in here.

Thanks
Mike

btw,
There are no stupid questions. :supergrin: Ask whatever.
There ya are! Just keepin' the seat warm man. :thumbsup:

#365 ·
C,
Find your local Schutzhund club here and ask lots of questions.

Btw,
We don't teach our dogs to "attack", but to bite and hold accordingly.
Learn a little from the clubs and I would be willing to bet you would be very surprised. Working dogs love the workout and it also reduces stress for them. :)

#366 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
C,
Find your local Schutzhund club here and ask lots of questions.

Btw,
We don't teach our dogs to "attack", but to bite and hold accordingly.
Learn a little from the clubs and I would be willing to bet you would be very surprised. Working dogs love the workout and it also reduces stress for them. :)
Well i got excited when i went to the website because i had never even heard of Schutzhund before...but then i looked and they dont have a club in Mississippi...BOOOOOOO any other suggestions?

#367 ·
Read everything you can find about schutzhund. Call your local PD and ask if they have a K-9 program and see if they will let you train with them, (maybe after some volunteer sessions).

This is NOT something you can do on your own. You will need at least 1 helper that is very familiar with protection work. Your dogs confidence can be ruined in 1 session if done improperly.

Seek professional help.

Mike

#368 ·
Ok I have another question about our Maltese. I asked on a previous page about how he backs away when you try to pick him up, and it was suggested that it was because of him trying to be dominant, which I do think was right. I have cleared up a lot of that by not settling for anything except what I want him to do, if I tell him to come here and he doesn't, I will go to him to pick him up, if he tries to back away, I will make him sit and then pick him up.

Anyway, what do you do with a dog that just seems to not like getting pet/rubbed? I've never seen this before in any other dogs, but he has always been like this. If you pick him up and hold him and pet him, he will be fine for a minute, but as soon as you take your hands off him, he jumps on the floor. If he wants to lay down to rest, he will just do it on the floor, not on you or beside you. I've watched The Dog Whisperer some and the methods he recommends are actually some of the things that I've always done, and he recommends that when you get a dog into its calm submissive state, to reward it with love/petting, etc. It is just hard to reward a dog (without treats) if he apparently doesn't like being pet, plus it's just plain weird.

This also may be a dominance issue, because I swear he is the most dominant dog I've ever had/seen. We do the little "staredowns" you recommended, and sometimes they last up to a minute, and sometimes I swear he just looks away because he is bored. :) For other dogs the staredowns with me last 3-10 seconds at most.

Now don't get me wrong, he is a very sweet dog, has never bitten or went after anyone in anger, including my 3 year old brother (who he loves playing with) who plays with him, chases him, throws dirt on him (!), etc. It is just weird, and it is especially hard for my wife, who of course wants to have a dog she can have come sit with her on the couch and pet, etc.

#369 ·
Your answer lies within the leash. You and your wife should put him on the leash attached to you while home. Everywhere you go, he goes.
This will teach him you AND your wife is the head of the pack.
And the wife will get the dog she is looking for.

If the dog doesn't want praise from you, it's because you and the wife have given him too much praise without him earning it. Make sense? Make him earn the praise by doing obedience commands, tricks, whatever.

#371 ·
The way I did with my dog (at a lake), is go the the shore of the lake and play with him with a tennis ball, and throw the ball out to where it's just in the water enough for the dog to wade out and get it. Then play with him on the bank a little more then throw it out a little further, and when he goes in the water, praise him A Lot. Soon he'll be comfortable with it. Actually, I'm told it's good to brush him while he's wet, too. In fact, Saturday after training, I may go take him and play with him by the lake again..... Not sure if it'd work the same way with a pool, or if your dog likes to chase a ball like mine does. I'm sure You can use any toy he likes that floats. Anyway, that's how I got my dog to swim.

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

#375 ·
heyG20, is it possible to bring down a dogs' self-confidence, self-esteem, or happiness in general, if so how,and how to bring him back up.?
Of course, but the depths of that question would bury us and quickly overload Eric's servers.

Poorly timed corrections, or corrections that don't make sense to the dog, will hurt his confidence and hurt the trust bond between alpha and dog.

Proper timing of praise, food rewards, and physical praise can bring the dog back up, again if all is timed properly. Proper timing of corrections will also help a dog "get it", and therefore raise self-confidence.

#376 ·
ok, well since this is your thread im looking forward for you to help me with this situation, when i call my dog sometimes he wont come especially when im around my pool or any water, i get mad and sometimes will hit him in a disciplinary action for not obeying. am i wrong?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.