Glock Talk banner

Mike's Memorial Ask a Trainer Thread

81K views 585 replies 74 participants last post by  BigKid 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just wanted to start a thread about dog training to see if I could help with any GT members families.
My resume is this: I started out working with Palm Beach County K-9 program as a volunteer about 1994. My job was obedience training, protection training and tracking training. All of these dogs were top quality and already started in these disciplines and was very easy to get them to learn new things. I worked with them for about 6 months and moved into full-time in-home dog training one-on-one with the family. This is the best situation for learning how to train a dog bar none!!!! I worked for someone else for 3 years and then started out on my own. Having well over 3,000 dogs trained I have a solution for any problem anybory can came up with. If this thread gets popular maybe we can ask a mod to sticky it. I will cover anything from housebreaking to behavior problems to obedience to choosing the right pup. Basically if you want to know how to change something about your dog ask. I dont know all the answers but I will find out if anybody stumps me.;) So fire away with your questions. I am here to help.
;c

#329 ·
Originally posted by supra98
ok i been following all food instructions, but he still wont eat all his dry food at one time, for instance i fed him today at 9am, i woke up at 430pm he still had it there, he ate very little.. n e reason?
Yes, the reason is becausse you are leaving the bowl down all day.
Give him 10-15 minutes to eat then pick the bowl up and try again at dinner. By the second or third day he "should" be eating.

#330 ·
Another question about this damn Maltese. ;) I'm asking this for my wife really.

The dog is about 9 or 10 months old. Anyway, 75%+ of the time, if you call him and he comes to you, and you want to pick him up or pet him, as soon as you reach down for him, he backs away really fast.

Anyone know why he does this? I've read about other people's dogs doing this, but my in-laws have 2 Maltese the same age and they don't do this at all.

#332 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
Sounds like dominance to me.
Try using treats to pick him up and also while you are holding him.
You know you are probably right. He tries his very best to be the dominant one, but I never thought it could express itself in this way.

It seems to me, in my experience, that big dogs are easier to train than little ones. I can get other peoples large dogs to do what I say and act 10x better for me than they do for their owner in under 15 minutes, but my little mini-dog isn't like that.

When we go to the in-laws house (that have two maltese the same age), he constantly marks their yard (even though he is fixed), and when they play-fight, he loves for them to gang up on him so he can whoop both of their butts at the same time (even though he is the smallest).

Most of the time he does the backing away thing to me much less because he knows that I am more dominant, but he does it a lot with my wife and other friends of the family.

What are some general ways to express you dominance over a small dog like that (not necessarily just with this one issue)?

#333 ·
SK,
Most dogs are the same, regardless of size, but yes, some are more dominant from birth.

The fastest way to gain dominance is to snap the leaash on the dog and tie the other end to YOU, nothing else just you. Second, always go out the door first. Always pick up the food bowl. Always stare him down when he looks you in the eye. Don't need to be mean about it, but win the stare down contest everytime. That goes for the wife too. :)
Just be consistent with these little things and he will come around.

#334 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
SK,
Most dogs are the same, regardless of size, but yes, some are more dominant from birth.

The fastest way to gain dominance is to snap the leaash on the dog and tie the other end to YOU, nothing else just you. Second, always go out the door first. Always pick up the food bowl. Always stare him down when he looks you in the eye. Don't need to be mean about it, but win the stare down contest everytime. That goes for the wife too. :)
Just be consistent with these little things and he will come around.
Thanks for the advice, especially for the wife. :) Luckily I don't have to use the dominance tactics on her as much as I do the dog. :supergrin:

I do the staredown contests with the dog and I always win but for a puny little fluffy dog he's got a pretty good staredown. :)

edit - Also, I forgot to ask, what do you mean by "always pick up the food bowl?"

#335 ·
Originally posted by SKeefe
Thanks for the advice, especially for the wife. :) Luckily I don't have to use the dominance tactics on her as much as I do the dog. :supergrin:

I do the staredown contests with the dog and I always win but for a puny little fluffy dog he's got a pretty good staredown. :)
LOL, I believe that, Its usually the little ones with the most attitude. :supergrin:

Be careful using the technique's with the wife, they might land you in the dog house! ALWAYS SUBMIT TO THE LADIES! :laughabove: :supergrin:

#336 ·
Originally posted by SKeefe

edit - Also, I forgot to ask, what do you mean by "always pick up the food bowl?"
Never leave the food out all day. This is another dominance issue. He who controls the food controls everything. Get your dogs on a feeding schedule. Leave the food out for 10-15 min, then pick up the bowl and put it away. If they didn't eat all their food, then tough. They will get the idea soon enough.

#337 ·
ya the that leaving thew food ouot 15-min that really wrks, my dog aint no dummy, he eating now, ok i got him nutro, there some many kinds, what do i get?? my GSD 80-90lbs, n e choices??...p.s when we play he starting to like to bite my hand gently? is that good or should he not bite me??

#339 ·
Originally posted by supra98
ya the that leaving thew food ouot 15-min that really wrks, my dog aint no dummy, he eating now, ok i got him nutro, there some many kinds, what do i get?? my GSD 80-90lbs, n e choices??...p.s when we play he starting to like to bite my hand gently? is that good or should he not bite me??
You could go with either the active formula (yellow bag), or the regular lamb and rice formula. I would only go active, if the dog gets a ton of exercise.

No, its not ok for him to be play biting, but then again, you shouldn't be rough housing with him either. Play ball with him instead.

#340 ·
Originally posted by jboy434
i have a 2 1/2 year old female rotti and i wanted to know if it is to late to train her to be a better guard dog? what could i do myself for this or should i take her to a pro trainer? she is a very smart dog. i house trained her myself. thanks for any help
Absolutely not to late, but you need to go thru a full advanced obedience course first. Kinda like having a gun and not understanding how to shoot it. Start with basics, and a professional trainer and they will set goals for you and your dog.

Please don't do this on your own, you will ony make your dog not trust you anymore.

#343 ·
I have several problems, and there is alot of info here to read. So I'll go ahead and ask the question that has stumped everyone else.

My puppy is between 1-2 years old and he nurses on blankets pillows, his stuffed animals, ect. I correct his behavor with a sharp HEY, but even after the last year he still does it. How do I stop him from nursing.

Next, he is very energetic and I would like to get him tired by playing frisbee. However he will have nothing to do with anything that flys through the air unless it's one of his stuffed animals. Even with his stuffed animals, it must be laying on the ground before he'll get it. I got him a frisbee that looks like a chicken (head, legs and wings) it has a soft mushy skin, it should be purfect. I have fed him in it for a week, stored hotdogs on it, rubbed his soft treates all over it and he will have nothing at all to do with it. How do I get him to catch a frisbe or even chase after a soccer ball?

I am going to try an electric collar for his lack of attention outside. Is it just a quick jolt and repeat my command, or do I shock him first for the first few days and then give the command? For the most part in the house, he will listen right off. When he gets really excited though that's a different story, I give a command, he ignores me, I scold and then he follows through.

Thanks,

PS, we have been through Basic and advanced obedience. He's changed alot sence the pound.

#344 ·
Originally posted by Blinky
I know the PetSmart in Omaha will also hold classes inside the store during business hours. If you're having trouble by yourself, ask them about classes.
I am happy with our petsmart training, but he still has problems with distractions. It's mostly when is off leash though. On leash, he will listen pretty good.

#345 ·
Hey Re,

Let me try these in order.

Ok, first up the nursing, what breed and at what age did you get him?
Regardless, nursing shows that he is not confident about who he is and where he stands in the pack. If he was taken from his mom at too early of an age, this will attribute to nursing behavior. Give him ONE blanket that is his and only his and let him nurse on it all he wants. It will help him build confidence.

Ball playing and Frisbee;
Again breed has a lot to do with it, some dogs will chase a ball till your arm falls off, others, could care less. It’s called low ball drive. You can google that term and find lots of good info. If he won’t chase anything, get him a 30-50 foot long lead and let him explore and be a dog like that.

On the E collar, first off I am a fan of them and have used them on my own dogs. But, judging from what you have told me so far, I would say your dog is not a candidate for an e-collar at this time. If I was your trainer, I would build the dogs confidence up first, then go on to off lead stuff. If you go with an E collar now you could do irreparable damage to his psyche. However it is your dog and your choice.

Originally posted by ReAX222
When he gets really excited though that's a different story, I give a command, he ignores me, I scold and then he follows through.
This tells me you have much more work to do ON LEASH, before worrying about off leash. You should never HAVE to scold, he should listen to you even if it’s just above a whisper.

PetSmart is a good start, but it is entry level stuff. Find a GOOD trainer in your area, and have him come to the house. You will learn 3-4 times what you learned in Petsmart.

Good Luck and let me know how it goes.

#346 ·
He's got a lot of Rott, and a fluffy tail like a shepherd. I got him from the pound last year and they thought he was 3 yo. I have talked to several vets, and think he's under 2. He's deffinately a young dog.

#348 ·
He has come a long way. When we play tug, I let him win alot, I give him different commands and he resonds instantly. The nursing has been curved heavily and he seems pretty self assured. I have him barking when people are outside, and he thinks he's pretty bad at times. Although, he clearly understands this is my home.

Any susgestions I can work on to make him more secure in his role? Or for making him more protective?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.