Glock Talk banner

Mike's Memorial Ask a Trainer Thread

81K views 585 replies 74 participants last post by  BigKid 
#1 ·
Hey all,
I just wanted to start a thread about dog training to see if I could help with any GT members families.
My resume is this: I started out working with Palm Beach County K-9 program as a volunteer about 1994. My job was obedience training, protection training and tracking training. All of these dogs were top quality and already started in these disciplines and was very easy to get them to learn new things. I worked with them for about 6 months and moved into full-time in-home dog training one-on-one with the family. This is the best situation for learning how to train a dog bar none!!!! I worked for someone else for 3 years and then started out on my own. Having well over 3,000 dogs trained I have a solution for any problem anybory can came up with. If this thread gets popular maybe we can ask a mod to sticky it. I will cover anything from housebreaking to behavior problems to obedience to choosing the right pup. Basically if you want to know how to change something about your dog ask. I dont know all the answers but I will find out if anybody stumps me.;) So fire away with your questions. I am here to help.
;c

#305 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
A)Because he can
B)Because he has to go

What you can do is crate him at night, not block off an area for him.

It is a very easy solution...
Good Luck
I understand that a lot of people enjoy the crate method, but is that really the only way to potty train a dog?

My wife and I wake up at about 7:00 in the morning, leave for work at 8:00 and my wife gets home at about 3:00 or 4:00. I come home at lunch time. We then usually go to bed at night at 11:00.

This would equate to our dog being in a cage for 16 hours out of the day, minus me coming home and letting him out during lunch.

#306 ·
Originally posted by SKeefe
I understand that a lot of people enjoy the crate method, but is that really the only way to potty train a dog?

My wife and I wake up at about 7:00 in the morning leave for work at 8:00 and my wife gets home at about 3:00 or 4:00. I come home at lunch time. We then usually go to bed at night at 11:00.

This would equate to our dog being in a cage for 16 hours out of the day, minus me coming home and letting him out during lunch.
Skeefe,
No, it is certainly not the only way but certainly the fastest and easiest on you and the dog.

You are forgetting that half of that time is nightime (sleeping) and the other half of the day you are at work, and the dog will be sleeping again.

Not to mention the emotional security the crate gives the dog, because he now has his own space.

Mike

#307 ·
Skeefe,
The problem that people run into is that they view crating the dog as some sort of punishment and use it that way. This is a big mistake. What people forget is that used properly the dog will view the crate as his den and will feel very safe and comfortable in there. A dog in his den is one of the most natural things in the world. This is what Mike means when he says the crate will give the dog "emotional security".

#308 ·
Originally posted by supra98
no just perfer to have pure breed GSD....
supra,

I understand your want to have a pure breed and I'm not going to tell you that you are wrong. But try this, go around to the shelters in your area spend time with those dogs. I guarantee that you will find a dog that you will just have to take home, one that will just click with you. You might find it hard to just take one home.

People get caught up in the breed "hype" and forget that regardless of the breed, a dog is a dog. Deep down they have all the same wants and needs. You sound like a great owner and it's easy to tell that you want to be the best owner you can. In my opinion one of the greatest things a dog lover can do is to adopt and give a dog a second chance at life.

#309 ·
I have a question. My 6week old Shepherd/Lab mix pup is eating her crap, how can I stop her? I'm feeding her purina puppy chow. Also, she only eats a little bit here and there throughout the day, whether I sit with her, leave her alone, or shut her up. Is that healthy, or should I be giving her a measured amount in the morning and taking it away after a while and then again in the evening?

cyberhick

#310 ·
What are some good exercises I can do with my dog to help get him and keep him in better shape? I'm wanting to get rid of some fat (I have already cut his food back.) and build him some extra muscle and stamina. The exercise will be especially useful during periods when he gains weight because of us not being able to go to schutzhund training for several weeks. (Which has been the story for over a month for various reasons. We'll get to training this Saturday one way or another.)

:freak:

:reindeer: :50cal:

#312 ·
schutzhund? wow let me know hoe that goes my dream is to have one of those dogs some day i guess i have to wait til i go to the police academy.. im interested in some of thoses exercises too, i need one to give my dog more muscle definiton...
Yeah, my dog Bosco was already started in the training when I got him. He loves the work, and ain't happy on the weeks when he has to just lay around like a housepet. But the past month, he's hurt his leg, I've been sick 3 times, and Schutzhund training has been called or moved to Sunday (I have church on Sundays.) due to weather. I've only had him since March, and we're coming along. We need a good bit of work in a lot of Areas before we're ready for a SchH1 title, but we're getting there a step at a time. I enjoy it most days. I Still have a lot to learn. What really sparked my interest in it is my dad's stories about when he used to schutzhund train, when he was about my age. He was one heck of a decoy in his day. He used to train with my Uncle 30 or so years ago. My uncle had gotten out of it for a while and recently gotten a very good dog and started up a club locally, and dad and I started to go to the training sessions to watch and spend some time with my uncle. I had wanted a dog, and the VP of our SchH club was looking for a home for Bosco. Seeing as he knew my dad from his training days (My uncle and my dad were the ones who got him into the sport back then.), he asked dad "So whenare you guys gonna get a dog?" Dad said "I'd like to have your dog." Andre said "I'm looking for a good home for him." I tried to pay him a little money for the dog, but he wouldn't accept. But, we're real happy with this dog. Protects our house very well. A few training problems, and he's not as sociable as I was led to believe, but overall, A good dog. VERY HIGH PREY DRIVE. Chases whatever runs from him or is smaller than him. He acts like a wolf smetimes. He'd be just as happy living in the wild and hunting down his supper as he is here. LOL.

#313 ·
Originally posted by cyberhick
I have a question. My 6week old Shepherd/Lab mix pup is eating her crap, how can I stop her? I'm feeding her purina puppy chow. Also, she only eats a little bit here and there throughout the day, whether I sit with her, leave her alone, or shut her up. Is that healthy, or should I be giving her a measured amount in the morning and taking it away after a while and then again in the evening?

cyberhick
Get her off the puppy chow crap food and on to some quality food like Nutro Max puppy, also you can sprinkle some Accent meat tenderizer on the food.

You can get more info
here.

#314 ·
Originally posted by Walter45Auto
What are some good exercises I can do with my dog to help get him and keep him in better shape? I'm wanting to get rid of some fat (I have already cut his food back.) and build him some extra muscle and stamina. The exercise will be especially useful during periods when he gains weight because of us not being able to go to schutzhund training for several weeks. (Which has been the story for over a month for various reasons. We'll get to training this Saturday one way or another.)
:laughabove: Mike, I think you might have overlooked my question from a few days ago. Any ideas for any of those?

#315 ·
:laughabove: Mike, I think you might have overlooked my question from a few days ago. Any ideas for any of those?

Play ball, swimming etc. If its good for you, then its good for the dog.
Walter, why not ask your dad or uncle these questions? I'm sure they are far more knowledgable than I am.
Mike

#318 ·
Originally posted by G20man32904
Play ball, swimming etc. If its good for you, then its good for the dog.
Walter, why not ask your dad or uncle these questions? I'm sure they are far more knowledgable than I am.
Mike
Actually my Uncle died back in November due to cancer. One thing I was told when I asked someone in the club is jog or ride a bike with him trotting along beside. I was just wondering if you had any other sugggestions, too.

#320 ·
Actually my Uncle died back in November due to cancer. One thing I was told when I asked someone in the club is jog or ride a bike with him trotting along beside. I was just wondering if you had any other sugggestions, too.
Sorry for your loss bro, good suggestions from the club though too.
I like to throw a ball for doggie excerise just cause I think it's fun. :)

#323 ·
ok thanks i think i have a biger problem, he seems weak, not happy, sad, down, wont eat bones, he will walk for a lil, then lay down. he's a lil shaky i will take him to the vet tom. n e idea why?
That's no good man. Let us know what the vet says.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.