close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Microsoft Surface Tablet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GlockFanWA, Sep 19, 2012.

1. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    Looks pretty slick, I'm interested in the WinRT version, depending on the price. If MS offers it for under $400 then I'll most likely get one. Higher than that then it is debatable. I'll be able to get a laptop for under $400 running Win 8 and thus not restricted to only apps in the MS store.

Others thoughts?

2. Linux3

Linux3

Dec 31, 2008
    Is it actually going to see the light of day or is it Vaporware?

I'm one of the last of my friends to get a tablet and I have the Google Nexus 7. At $200.00 I could see buying it but to me even $300.00 is too much for a tablet.

GlockfanWA, you say your price point is $400.00 and I would think that's high. I have been using my tablet for a while now and the Nexus 7 is all a tablet should be but it aint a laptop.

Much as Apple iPad folks love their fondleslabs and the Android fans yell their's is as good or better or whatever it's a toy.

If you do real work on a computer, if you are really an interactive user a slab isn't the way to go.

I see lots of people showing off what their iPad can do in a business setting. Oh, slick graphics and pie charts and multimedia displays are very nice, very nice. But when all this glitz was created it was done on a workstation or a real laptop.

Microsoft selling an expensive tablet because it's running Windows? I don't think it will fly and I think even MS knows that.

3. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    A is only true for the WinRT version of the Surface. The more expensive version will use Intel chips and run pre-Win8 apps.

B is only Asus's prices, MS may decide to sell the tablets pretty much at cost which could put a WinRT version in the $300 range.

4. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA

Sep 9, 2012
    Washington
    It isn't vaporware. You have to look at the surface as more than a tablet, ot is almost an ultrabook type of device. You can use it as a tablet or a laptop. I can see it being big in places that use MS products.