close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Microsoft Surface Tablet

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by GlockFanWA, Sep 19, 2012.

1. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA
    Expand Collapse

Looks pretty slick, I'm interested in the WinRT version, depending on the price. If MS offers it for under $400 then I'll most likely get one. Higher than that then it is debatable. I'll be able to get a laptop for under $400 running Win 8 and thus not restricted to only apps in the MS store.

Others thoughts?

2. Toyman

Toyman
    Expand Collapse

3. Linux3

Linux3
    Expand Collapse

Is it actually going to see the light of day or is it Vaporware?

I'm one of the last of my friends to get a tablet and I have the Google Nexus 7. At $200.00 I could see buying it but to me even $300.00 is too much for a tablet.

GlockfanWA, you say your price point is $400.00 and I would think that's high. I have been using my tablet for a while now and the Nexus 7 is all a tablet should be but it aint a laptop.

Much as Apple iPad folks love their fondleslabs and the Android fans yell their's is as good or better or whatever it's a toy.

If you do real work on a computer, if you are really an interactive user a slab isn't the way to go.

I see lots of people showing off what their iPad can do in a business setting. Oh, slick graphics and pie charts and multimedia displays are very nice, very nice. But when all this glitz was created it was done on a workstation or a real laptop.

Microsoft selling an expensive tablet because it's running Windows? I don't think it will fly and I think even MS knows that.

4. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA
    Expand Collapse

A is only true for the WinRT version of the Surface. The more expensive version will use Intel chips and run pre-Win8 apps.

B is only Asus's prices, MS may decide to sell the tablets pretty much at cost which could put a WinRT version in the $300 range.

5. GlockFanWA

GlockFanWA
    Expand Collapse

It isn't vaporware. You have to look at the surface as more than a tablet, ot is almost an ultrabook type of device. You can use it as a tablet or a laptop. I can see it being big in places that use MS products.