close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Micro wind turbines?

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by cowboy1964, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

Sep 4, 2009
    U.S.A.
  2. TangoFoxtrot

TangoFoxtrot OIF 04-05

Sep 10, 2008
    Nowhereville, USA
    Anything beats paying the prices for power the utility companies charge.

3. RED64CJ5

RED64CJ5

Jul 7, 2003
    Except for "green" power sources. Their cost per megawatt or kilowatt hour makes commercial grid power look cheap. It may be fashionable to bash the electric companies for their rates but the reality is being that they can generate en mass, they can do it much more cost effectively.

4. G29Reload

G29Reload Tread Lightly

Sep 28, 2009
    Except that the reason most are here or would want a small wind turbine is not cost, but independence, and survivability.

Even in a low wind area, occasionally there are windy conditions where if the turbine was producing 10% of the time, it would be worth it as backfill if the sun werent shining or for heavy loads.

5. Bolster

Bolster Not Ready Yet!

Jul 23, 2011
    State of Stupidity
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the small "micro" turbines required a lot of wind to function? I think that's the price you pay for small blades.

The "energy barrel" in the video is kinda silly. Windmill not hooked up, barrel mostly empty, and solar panels hung about but not orienting to the sun. Once that mill's hooked to a turbine it won't spin so freely...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. BORNGEARHEAD

BORNGEARHEAD

Mar 3, 2010
    Idk, "10 watts max" from that turbine isn't gonna power much at all. And why on a 55gal drum? That could have all been mounted on a standard cooler.

7. LongGun1

LongGun1 StraightShooter

+1 :supergrin:

If I were going to engineer a portable lightweight micro-wind turbine setup like this for a specific purpose..

..such as running a radio, cell phone charger, laptop & mobile hotspot while at the beach or while hiking..

..I would have removable blades so the VAWT unit could be compactly stored inside the cooler..

..or a portable, guy-wired, sectioned pole HAWT setup that could employ larger blades..

.. that could be dual use with an antenna for a transceiver.

8. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

May 22, 2002
    Huskerville
    And keep beer cold at the same time...:tongueout: