close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

Michigan U.P. handgun

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by FlintGlock, Apr 23, 2004.

1. FlintGlock

FlintGlock Millennium Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Flint, Mi
  2. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan
    Explain a little more please......Like, what are your intentions?

3. FlintGlock

FlintGlock Millennium Member

Nov 12, 1999
    Flint, Mi
  4. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan
    Well, for being soo vague with your intentions, let's assume it's deer? Or bear? Squirrel and rabbit maybe?

Regardless, all of my experiences (which are with seeing bears quite often) lead me to carry nothing less than a 44 mag and using Hornady 240 or 300 gr XTP's or Garrett 310 gr cast.

5. mikedb

mikedb

Jan 28, 2004
    brighton michigan
    I like to use my gp100 w/4 in barrel. I usually carry 180 winchester partition gold in thw woods and switch to 125gr gold dots in town.

6. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan
    357 with bears around;g;G Brave, brave man you are;)

7. mikedb

mikedb

Jan 28, 2004
    brighton michigan
    Against black bears I feel very comfortable with a 357. I can shoot it very accuratly and fast. I addition to the partitions I sometimes cary hard casts. NOw when I lived out west a 44 would be order at a minimum

8. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan
    Have you ever shot a black bear with a 44 let alone a 357? I have shot a black bear (up north) in a defense situation with a 44 and know for sure he died with the 5th shot, but made sure with the 6th with all in the head, neck, and chest.;g

9. mikedb

mikedb

Jan 28, 2004
    brighton michigan
    wow how big was the bear? what kind of load? Did this happen in MI? how did th e DNR respond?

10. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan
    290 dressed. Hornady 300 gr XTP. In the UP. And i filled my tag;)
    I was ready to shoot at a different bear, but i guess it was in the middle of rival territory. He came from my back left, i saw him, he moved faster and kept shooting until the threat was over.

11. mikedb

mikedb

Jan 28, 2004
    brighton michigan
    what kind of penetration did you get with teh XTP? I have been using them in my 44 for deer, but have yet to get a shot at one. I did fill my tag this year but with my shotgun.

12. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan
    On deer, there should be no problem with penetration (even a pass through) because their skin and body frame does not absorb like a bears does. In saying that, not one pass through, head shots fragmented (2) chest shots full expansion, maybe 8" (3) one in the neck (last shot) that shattered the vertebra and traveled in fragments to the front of his neck.

13. mikedb

mikedb

Jan 28, 2004
    brighton michigan
    Do you think you would have beeter off using hard cast bullets like buffalo bores?

14. Got Glox??

Got Glox?? Stop Looking

Jan 19, 2004
    Michigan