Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Michigan CCW Question

Discussion in 'Michigan Glockers' started by XDHSr, Jul 31, 2007.

1. XDHSr

May 15, 2007
    Lansing, Michigan
    Question for those of you who have already obtained a CCW permit in Michigan. I have heard that some counties do a personal interview. Has anyone gone through that? What do they ask? How long does it take? Just wondering if someone could describe the process, I just took, my class this past weekend and was wondering what to expect when I put in my application.

Thanks for any comments!
  2. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Meat Popsicle

Mar 1, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Not Ingham county unless you say you've got some old arrests on your record (as I do).

I still got my permit renewed, though. The arrests were old and they couldn't pull em' up on any system so they wanted to ask me about them. Since they were from the 80's and all misdemeanors it was nothing to them and they happily sent me on my way. The interview took all of five minutes.

I'll probably have to do it every time I renew.

3. Macomb County has a board meeting once a month to approve your CCW. They ask you the same questions on the application.

Reason for wanting a CCW? Self defense.

Any issues with the law? No. A few other questions, but I can't remember them all.

Then they laminate your CCW there and you’re all set.
  4. gsbell

gsbell Consumed

Feb 21, 2003
    Nolensville, TN
    Kent Co. repeated all the questions that were on the app, I answered. For the renewal I didn't have to go through that charade.
  5. zbusdriver

Jul 21, 2006
    se michigan
    in wayne county they hand them out like candy.
  6. Glock 19 God

Glock 19 God Banned

Jul 15, 2007
    The Mitten State
    My county does that and my meeting is on August 15. After that date I can tell you what it is like. I think it is ridiculous that we have to jump through a hoop like this to get the permit, though.
  7. dabennet

Sep 15, 2002
    I no longer live in MI, but when I did I resided in Saginaw County. I applied and a while later (I don't remember exactly how long) I recieved notification, almost a subpoena, to appear before the Gun Board at a specific time at the courthouse. I was grilled for a few minutes, mainly the questions on the application, but some that were not. One that I remember is what I would/say do if approached by a LEO while carrying. Now that I live in VA, I didn't have to do any of that.

8. I'm in Washtenaw county. Was told they only do an interview if there was some criminal offense in the past.

Otherwise they won't call you if your record is clean.
  9. Getwild2

Getwild2 Mac Aficionado

Aug 15, 2005
    Fenton, Michigan

In Genesee County there was no interview.
  10. DennisH

DennisH FFG-60

Mar 24, 2003
    In Livingston County I had an interview for my initial CCW back in 2002. That board met monthly. For the renewal it was just go in and pick it up after all the paperwork was checked. I had a State Police detective, a county supervisor, and a county sheriff on my board. They just asked routine questions, that other posters have already cited. Be courteous, present a civil appearance, and all will be well.
  11. In some counties it's automatic that you go before the board, in others it's not unless there's a "red flag" on your application or you've had trouble with the law in the past.

I think sometimes they just want to see what you look like.

I mean, if you go in wearing a dirty T-shirt, cut-offs, look like you haven't had a bath in 6 month, and cannot articulate your reason for wanting a CPL, they may have second thoughts on issuing you your license, even though they have to use facts (your record, etc) when deciding to issue your license.

Personally, I would go in with dress pants and a dress shirt on, and have a decent haircut and be as friendly and as articulate as possible. No tie or sport coat, though. That is overkill...looks like you're trying too hard.
  12. Ender

Ender ComfortablyNumb

May 20, 2001
    in Oakland county, it is merely a paperwork issue.

that said, i would LOVE to have my CCW denied because of my appearance, when legally, they cannot use ANY of that in deciding whether or not to issue.

oh, the lawsuit :hearts: ;)
  13. XDHSr

May 15, 2007
    Lansing, Michigan
    You were right JellyBelly. Got my permit a few weeks ago, with no interview needed. I applied around Labor Day and about three weeks later they sent a notice to come pick it up. Not bad. :)
  14. FWIW Macomb county requires you to go in front of the gun board... silly....

15. You cannot be required to "articulate your reason for wanting a CPL". The requirements are listed on the application form, local boards cannot add any others. If you pass the background check, and fulfill the requirements--as stated on the form--then, they MUST issue the CPL. MI is a "shall issue" state.

16. True... Here in Berrien County we have to go in front of the Gun Board. They'll ask you if you're up on the gun laws, understand them and such. But they can not ask you why need a carry permit...
  17. Somewhere out there there's a list of the mis-demeanors that can keep one from a license... Do you know where it is...?
  18. MakeMineaP99

MakeMineaP99 Got SIG?

Apr 11, 2002
    N. IN
    Ask and thee shall receive:
  19. TFin04

Jan 15, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Thankfully Washtenaw Country doesn't do the interviews. I would not be too happy to go through that process.

My answer would be somewhere along the lines of "I'm obtaining a CPL because this is a shall-issue state and there is nothing on my record prohibiting me from having one."

Same basic answer that I give for the "why do you want a gun" question. Because I can.
  20. Glock 19 God

Glock 19 God Banned

Jul 15, 2007
    The Mitten State
    Be glad that you no longer reside in Saginaw County.

For everyone else reading this........HAVE YOUR CARRY GUN ON YOU WHEN VISITING SAGINAW COUNTY.

This place has become a ceasepool of gangbangers. It is out of control.