Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Forum at

Why should YOU join our forums?

• Reason #1
  • Reason #2
  • Reason #3

Site Description

Michigan 2007 Spring Turkey Hunting Report!

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Michigun, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Mar 1, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    Well guys, my turkey hunt started this past Monday... I’m working 3rd shift right now so I’m out looking for long beards about 2 hours too late.

Monday I saw 6 different gobblers between 8 & 11 a.m., but I was always too late or in the wrong spot to set up on any of them... so I decided to try a different approach for Tuesday morning’s hunt.

On Tuesday morning I took 6 of my decoys & set them up in a field which has always been a good crossing spot... I was all set up by 8:15 am & was happy to find that there were no turkeys already there. I decided I was going to stay there till at least 1:30 pm before picking up shop & heading home to bed. At about 9:45 am a lone hen entered the field heading my way about 200 yards out... when she was at around the 60-yard mark I caught movement to my right... a nice tom in full strut at 84-yards! (Laser range finder. :thumbsup: ) As I was working on positioning myself for a shot in that direction 7 hens & 1 more nice tom came into view from the same direction... SWEET! The toms stayed off to the right, out of range, in full strut, but I knew it was just a matter of time before they made some kind of move as all 8 hens were interested in what my 6 decoys were doing & coming right in. It looked for just a bit that both gobblers might pass out in front just out of my shotgun’s range, but a few minutes later the larger of the 2 toms tucked it all back in & hot footed it into 24-yards where I gave him a full dose of 3" #4 Hevi-Shot... he dropped right there! :dancing:

He ended up having a 11-1/4" beard, 1" spurs & weighed in at 23-1/2 lbs. :supergrin:

Here are the mandatory ;) pictures:

Good luck to all you turkey hunters!
  2. NIce job, I plan on buying more decoys to make the hens and toms more welcome for next season.

Q: when you place decoys in this setting , did you do any calling and if so what did you use?

3. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Mar 1, 2001
    Michigan, USA
    Thanks sir!

I did zero calling myself... my thoughts are that they’re coming to that field anyways no matter what & that when they see my decoys they’re gonna stop by for a visit... so far it has worked out that way every time turkeys have shown up. :supergrin:

(On a side note... a few years back I set up the exact same way, in the exact same place & ended up falling asleep about an hour into the hunt. By my guesstimation I was out for 30 minutes & when I woke up I found a VERY nice mature tom strutting around in my decoys... yeah, he didn't make it. ;) )
  4. gemini

Jan 24, 2002
    Shot my bird 04/28/07. Used decoys and my Remington 870 with Remington Turkey loads 6 shot. Shot the bird at 56 yds. He had a
    9 15/16" beard, 13/16" spurs each and weighed 20 lb.

File was to big to send a picture. Sorry.

Good Luck to those still hunting and to those who have the late hunt.