close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Welcome to Glock Talk

Why should YOU join our Glock forum?

• Converse with other Glock Enthusiasts
  • Learn about the latest hunting products
  • Becoming a member is FREE and EASY

If you consider yourself a beginner or an avid shooter, the Glock Talk community is your place to discuss self defense, concealed carry, reloading, target shooting, and all things Glock.

MI CCW in Indiana, and Illinois

Discussion in 'Carry Issues' started by coonracing18, Jan 30, 2012.

1. coonracing18

coonracing18

Nov 21, 2011
    MI
    i know, i know, ive searched and just wanted maybe a more brief and easy explanation. I live in MI and currently have a MI issued Concealed carry permit. I understand that chicago is a big no-no so to say from what ive heard and i also know that its been in the news quite a bit recently, what i want to know is; I am traveling south out of MI, thru Indiana (am i safe there too?) and into Illinois south of Chicago, into a town called Monee,Illinois...am i safe in these two area or what are the stipulations? ( ive read other posts on here stating that ammo has to be seperated, or locked in truck, and countless others..hoping someone has a real answer or a link to a credible website that i can understand and translate myself...like i said ive been on this for an hour now and not getting any answers! any and all help will be appreciated...thanks in advance guys!

2. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    You're good in Indiana. The entire state of Illinois is a HUGE no-no. Is Illinois your final destination? If so I'd suggest leaving the gun at home.

While state law allows other ways of transport some cities (Chicago) have greater restrictions on the transportation of firearms. If you are simply transporting through Illinois to go to a state where you can legally carry I'd suggest transporting the gun as federal law allows.

Like RussP cited handgunlaws.us is a good site. Check this out too. It talks about the transportation over state lines. http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/articles/2010/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation.aspx

3. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    Indiana is almost perfect on gun laws. It's unlikely you'll have any problems on your stop here.

As said above, if you're staying in Illinois, just leave it at home.

4. coonracing18

coonracing18

Nov 21, 2011
    MI
    ya im jsut taking a vehicle to illinois from michigan,its for work...and then obviously heading back to MI..ill be in the state for what a total of an hour maybe..just sucks that states have dumb laws like that..and now i have to worry about what could happen while not having it for close to 10 hours (round trip) in cities im definately not comfortable with...stupid...ugh

5. coonracing18

coonracing18

Nov 21, 2011
    MI
    so what if im not staying in illinois..what if im jsut entering the state to drop off a vehicle..turning around and leaving...would that be considered illegal..or could i have it like what i previously read. (unloaded, locked in case, and not readily availible)

6. gator378

gator378 Gator378

Jan 22, 2001
    St. Peters, Mo, USA

I live in Missouri and Illinois is a hell hole for gun owners. I believe Les Baer who makes 45s moved from Illinois to Iowa because it got so bad.

7. DEEAYCEE

DEEAYCEE

Jan 4, 2012
  8. HoldHard

HoldHard

Nov 28, 2008
    Motor City 'burbs
    From the last paragraph of the link in DEEAYCEE's post:

I am not a lawyer. This is what I'd do:

I would not go into the city limits of Chicago.
    I'd would check the laws for the destination city.
    I'd obey the rest of the "out-of-state" laws (looks like you have to have a Michigan CPL) and transport it correctly, cased and locked separate from the ammunition.

HH

9. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    and
    I'd get my butt back into Indiana has quickly as possible

10. as400guy1

as400guy1

Mar 26, 2009
    Simple....Don't carry in Illinois. Before you get to the state line, put it in a case in your trunk (unloaded). Monee has no special restrictions (AFAIK).

11. Sharky7

Sharky7 Boomshakalaka

Feb 21, 2009
    Even if you are just driving through Illinois - You can not carry the firearm on your person. It's a felony crime that can result in prison time.

Read through thoroughly;
    http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ptfire.pdf

12. crash_gsxr750

crash_gsxr750 Arrows first

Apr 22, 2008
    illinois sucks

but my understand and correct me if I'm wrong

if your on federal interstate highways you can transport your gun normally, as in ammo separate from gun and in locked compartment (i.e. transport mode) regardless of local laws because your on federal highway.

13. HarleyGuy

HarleyGuy

Mar 29, 2008
    I have traveled THROUGH Illinois many times with my gun UNLOADED and in a CASE in the trunk of my vehicle.
    IF I'm just going TO Illinois (or any town in Illinois) I leave my gun at HOME.

There's no way that I would take the chance of being charged with a felony just to carry in Illinois for a couple of hours and all it would take is a simple traffic stop or perhaps an accident that isn't your fault.

14. xmanhockey7

xmanhockey7

Dec 6, 2010
    Michigan
    I remember when I was driving back home to MI from MN. I was legally transporting my firearms but I gotta tell ya when I saw the "Welcome to Indiana" sign I felt relieved!

15. isp2605

isp2605

Oct 2, 2002
    IL
    Way too much misinformation here on IL. Some people pay way too much attention to spreading erroneous internet rumos. Deeaycee provided a very good reference that should answer your questions.
    Plenty of people legally transport firearms everyday in IL and do not have a bit of trouble even if stopped. 3 of the largest shooting competitions in the US are held in IL. People from all over the country routinely legally bring firearms into the state.
    Here's all you need to do to comply with IL statutes:
    The firearm must be unloaded and in a case.
    Mags do not have to be unloaded.
    Mags can be in the same case as the firearm but nothing in IL statutes require the mags to be in a case.
    Unloaded mags can be in the firearm.
    Nothing in IL statutes requires the firearm to be locked in the trunk or even locked in a case.
    A case is defined by statute as "a container specifically designed for the purpose of housing a gun or bow and arrow device which completely encloses such gun or bow and arrow device by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened with no portion of the gun or bow and arrow device exposed."

So it's unloaded and in a case and you'll be fine as far as state statutes are concerned.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  16. Eff Illinois !

every saint has a past, and every sinner has a future.

17. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Jan 26, 2001
    Indiana
    This is, in my opinion, the dilemma of the whole situation. Regarding state statutes, he's probably fine, but I'm assuming he will be passing through several counties, towns, cities, etc.. all of which could have ordinances that are far more strict than state statutes.

IGF